Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin classic heart rate monitor problem
Quote | Reply
I've been using the classic Garmin heart rate monitor strap 4 for 5 years now I've replaced the battery several times but I'm starting to have a new issue with it. During my runs it will start to jump around never anything crazy high but if I'm running at 135 beats a minute it will in a matter of seconds shoot up 15 beats and then start to level back down rather quickly other times it will jump from 120 to 160 to 1: 30 to 1: 05 in a matter of 5 Seconds. I never feel anything wonky as far as a racing heartbeat or shortness of breath. adjusting the strap as to where it sits on my chest sometimes correct the issue sometimes does not mind you the runs when I've been doing this my shirt has been completely drenched I don't know if that could be interfering with the signal or not.
Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin classic heart rate monitor problem [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's probably just at the end of its service life. While some of the original hard straps were amazingly long lasting, the softer "premium" straps of the last several years are not known for their longetivity. 4 years on a strap (even with battery replacements) is probably better than I have done on any straps. I feel like that may be the common experience here. My current one is right about 3 years though.

Best Buy and Amazon were recently selling that exact strap for $20-25. Maybe you can grab a replacement at that price. It sounds like yours is done.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin classic heart rate monitor problem [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay this is the model that has the plastic hard straps that go about a third of the way around before hitting the elastic strap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Dangle mentioned, it's probably EOL (there was a PSA thread here recently on the Amazon deal and the consensus seemed to be ~3 year service life).

I started seeing my HR drop down to and plateau at 65 while Zwifting, replaced the battery in the transmitter which helped for a bit but then started seeing the same issue again. My Amazon order history confirmed the 3-year lifespan.

Snagged two from Amazon for $20/ea - keep an eye on them because they seem to drop from ~$40 to $20 for a day, then jump back up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Okay this is the model that has the plastic hard straps that go about a third of the way around before hitting the elastic strap

That's probably why it made it to 4 years vs. 2-3 years. The old Polar straps with that same style are the only ones I have ever (personally) seen last more than a few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fwiw, I just got the new hrm tri strap and feel it's 100x more comfortable than the classic. I switched because I was both getting annoyed with the comfort, it was fairly old so I guess the edges were fraying (doesn't appears the new one would be able to fray due to the design) and I was also getting outrageous HR readings when tucking in for fast descents on the bike, nowhere else, just tucked descents. Haven't had that problem with the new strap yet.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clean it and buy a new elastic strap if needed.

I've been using mine for several years.

I scrub my down with dish soap, dry it off and then go over the contacts with alcohol.
Quote Reply