Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Vector 3S (left only) $599.99 vs PowerTap P1 (dual side) $799 vs save for new bike in the future?
Quote | Reply
Hello fellow triathletes!

Some background: This is my third season in a row doing triathlons. I've done 1 sprint, 2 olympics and 1 70.3. This year I'm doing two 70.3 races. My plan in the future is to stick with 2/3 races per year and eventually build up to a full Ironman. I have an old Giant Defy with aero-bars. Nothing fancy I know but it does its job... but off course, I'd love to eventually buy a proper triathlon bike. I do most of my bike training indoors (Tacx Vortex Smart + TrainerRoad) but when it gets warmer (Boston, MA) I will do my long rides (once a week) outside as much as possible.

I have $600 in my hands. For some reason, I thought about buying a power meter, most likely the new Garmin Vector 3S (left side only). But then PowerTap reduced the price of the P1 (dual side) to only $799. I could save a bit more and buy the P1 (dual) instead of the Vector 3S (single). That wouldn't break the bank for me.

Or, I could save the money for now and buy a new bike in 2/3 years. Technically speaking I get the power from my smart trainer when I'm riding indoors (and I've been increasing my FTP year after year). The powermeter would be only 100% useful when 1) riding outside, which is only 20%-30% of my regular training load and 0% during the long winter 2) in a race! And that can be a big deal.

I'm not sure spending $600/800 would be totally worth it. What do you guys and girls think about it?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3S (left only) $599.99 vs PowerTap P1 (dual side) $799 vs save for new bike in the future? [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$499 for PowerTap G3 in a DT Swiss R460 wheel. Dual-sided power, lighter than P1 pedals, cheaper than P1 pedals or Vector 3S, don't need a speed sensor.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3S (left only) $599.99 vs PowerTap P1 (dual side) $799 vs save for new bike in the future? [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The powermeter for outdoors can help with your outdoor and race pacing. Pedal based will make it easy to transition to a future bike down the road. Dual side may be worth it if you are a data junkie or if you want to work on 50% left/right.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3S (left only) $599.99 vs PowerTap P1 (dual side) $799 vs save for new bike in the future? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have a deficiency in left/right balance then dual sided may be of value. In a year of having dual sided P1s I have only every seen 49/51 or 50/50. Next time I will just buy single sided pedals.

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can find decent used tri bikes out there for reasonable prices. If you're patient, you can find 2010-2013 P2s for ~1k. And those will be absolutely fine.

Power meters are fine. Since you're probably not buying race wheels anytime soon, take the DT Swiss PowerTap G3 pretty seriously. Those are pretty bulletproof and last a loooong time. Can find those used as well.

The thing about power is that it's great for pacing during a race. It'll be very useful when you do get to that Ironman eventually.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3S (left only) $599.99 vs PowerTap P1 (dual side) $799 vs save for new bike in the future? [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnnybike wrote:
If you have a deficiency in left/right balance then dual sided may be of value. In a year of having dual sided P1s I have only every seen 49/51 or 50/50. Next time I will just buy single sided pedals.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I have a question/thought. I imagined that using a single sided power meter would cause you to develop an imbalanced pedal stroke because you'll get 'rewarded' with a higher power for overdoing it on the power side. Has anyone ever spent a couple seasons with single sided power and then switched to dual-side and noticed this? Maybe I've overthinking it, but it was always my concern with just left or right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought bullets...
  • What is your future bike desire, and if you spend this $600 now, how far would that set you back?
  • If you are already training using power on a smart trainer, a PM will not add as much value to your overall training and development.
  • If you want the most future-proof option for an unknown bike to be determined, get pedal-based power meter.

• If you get a hub-based PM, you essentially lock yourself into a slow wheel for races, unless you add a cover later.
    • If you get a crank-based PM, you are at risk of incompatibility with your future bike.
  • Given where you are, and depending on the impact that $600 would have on your future bike, I would save for the bike.
  • If you go the PM route, I would get the Vector 3s. I have a P1 pair, and I totally love them. But, the V3 is the most current, and you can later upgrade to dual sided.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may also want to look at Favero's Assioma single sided pedal too. They are 500. It'd save you 100 bucks for the bike. They aren't as sexy as the Vector 3's since they have a pod, but they work and can be transferred to a new bike later. I have the older BePro's and they are consistent.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3S (left only) $599.99 vs PowerTap P1 (dual side) $799 vs save for new bike in the future? [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
Johnnybike wrote:

I don't want to derail this thread, but I have a question/thought. I imagined that using a single sided power meter would cause you to develop an imbalanced pedal stroke because you'll get 'rewarded' with a higher power for overdoing it on the power side. Has anyone ever spent a couple seasons with single sided power and then switched to dual-side and noticed this? Maybe I've overthinking it, but it was always my concern with just left or right.

Absolutely not. I've been on single-sided Vectors for several years. You simply just .... pedal. You're not thinking about cheating and pulling extra hard on one side. At least, I have never heard anyone I know even thinking about intentionally favoring one side. That's just weird.

Honestly, dual sided is a waste of money, unless you are getting over an injury to one leg.
Last edited by: p3: Mar 9, 18 11:21
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3S (left only) $599.99 vs PowerTap P1 (dual side) $799 vs save for new bike in the future? [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2. Until reading this it never even crossed my mind to “cheat” with one leg to spike my power. I had dual sided for a year and was always 49-51/49-51 for each leg so I switched to one sided and the switch was seamless and saved me money.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3S (left only) $599.99 vs PowerTap P1 (dual side) $799 vs save for new bike in the future? [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel, I think you may be overthinking this. It has never crossed my mind and even if I did think about it it would not be for long..

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gguerini wrote:
I have an old Giant Defy with aero-bars. Nothing fancy I know but it does its job.

What crankset do you have? If it's an older bike, there's a high likelihood is has the old "conventional" 5-even-spaced-bolt chainring mounting pattern that's compatible with the $349 Powertap C1. Not terribly likely to be directly transferable to a new bike (although not completely out of the question), but, at that price, who cares? It'll still have some reale value as a used part. Meanwhile, new power meter prices are bound to continue to drop in price between now and when you buy your next bike, so you're total outlay for two power meters (C1 now, + whatever you buy later) might be no more than for a set of P1's now.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 9, 18 13:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no advice for you on which way you should go, but wanted to give some feedback on the P1. I bought a pair of P1s (used). I like them just fine, but cannot stand the cleat. I usually ride with SPD-SLs, and the P1 cleat is somewhat akin to Look/KEO. I have the hardest time clipping in to the P1s, even after months of use. I'm willing to concede that it's probably a "just me" thing, but if cleats matter to you, it's something to consider. Also, the standard cleat (6* float, red) is too much. I'd get the 0* float cleat next time (black).

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'd be worth looking at the battery compartment issues that the Vectors are having.

Slowtwitch
Garmin
DC Rainmaker (scroll to about comment #293 at the bottom)

I was about to grab a pair of Vectors to replace my Stages with, but I'm holding off for now because of the issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm another vote for the Powertap G3 wheel on sale. I have 2 sets of powertap wheels as well as a set of P1's. For the price, the wheel seems like an obvious choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3S (left only) $599.99 vs PowerTap P1 (dual side) $799 vs save for new bike in the future? [LundyLund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LundyLund wrote:
I have no advice for you on which way you should go, but wanted to give some feedback on the P1. I bought a pair of P1s (used). I like them just fine, but cannot stand the cleat. I usually ride with SPD-SLs, and the P1 cleat is somewhat akin to Look/KEO. I have the hardest time clipping in to the P1s, even after months of use. I'm willing to concede that it's probably a "just me" thing, but if cleats matter to you, it's something to consider. Also, the standard cleat (6* float, red) is too much. I'd get the 0* float cleat next time (black).

+1. My P1 pedals are great, but god damn is it annoying to clip in. It was second nature on my shimano pedals.

Fingers crossed Garmin releases a Shimano compatitable Vector 3.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3S (left only) $599.99 vs PowerTap P1 (dual side) $799 vs save for new bike in the future? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
LundyLund wrote:

+1. My P1 pedals are great, but god damn is it annoying to clip in. It was second nature on my shimano pedals.

Fingers crossed Garmin releases a Shimano compatitable Vector 3.

The clip-in action on the P1 pedals sucks. I think the issue is the unnecessary ridge on the Wellgo cleat, so the cleat hangs up on the back of the pedal when you slide your foot forward to rotate the pedal and clip in. I miss my old Look-style pedals, I hate fumbling to clip in, especially when I have to start up a hill. Interestingly, many people don't seem to mind it. Maybe they're clipping in slightly differently or maybe they're more dexterous (or whatever the foot equivalent is) than I am?
Last edited by: niccolo: Mar 9, 18 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3S (left only) $599.99 vs PowerTap P1 (dual side) $799 vs save for new bike in the future? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use my regular Look cleats on my P1’s...

They work fine, and much better than the P1 cleats.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3S (left only) $599.99 vs PowerTap P1 (dual side) $799 vs save for new bike in the future? [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
I use my regular Look cleats on my P1’s...

They work fine, and much better than the P1 cleats.

Me too. No issues with regular look cleats or imitations ones.

To the OP, +1 on the G3. I have them on a Zipp and live them.
Also look into C1 power meter at $350.
Quote Reply