Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Vector 2s Maximum Cadence: 200rpm??
Quote | Reply
I did sprints today. Garmin Vector 2s had no issue measuring high power output, or cadence during high powers, as pictured below.

Then I did cadence work, in my smallest gear (39-32).

Cadence seemingly capped near 140 and plummeted to 40-60rpm reported once my power output decreased (while my ACTUAL cadence continued to increase, of this I am certain). I'm quite certain I was over 180rpm for 3 or more seconds, and if I had to guess I was probably in the range of 220-250rpm momentarily, but I've never really tested before. (I'm a former bobsledder with the power profile you'd find in someone like a linebacker on a bike).

Given my speed, gear ratio, and wheel and tire size, I suspect I may have momentarily surpassed 250rpm.

Is it possible that Garmin records cadences over 200rpm as those same cadences but subtracts 200rpm from them? That's what the data looks like if my math is right. See below. The red zone indicated below is a period where I am absolutely certain my cadence was increasing.

I would love to know if I can rely on Garmin Vector 2s to do this 200rpm subtraction reliably or if this was a fluke. Can anyone chime in?

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
πŸ“± Check out our app β†’ Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube β†’ Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 2s Maximum Cadence: 200rpm?? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vector 2 has an official cadence limit of 150rpm.

Way back when, on Vector 1 (which are identical internally, just with different external pods), Garmin noted the following:

β€œThe value of 150 rpm is a conservative limit based on possible road noise and a crank length setting of 200mm. If a cyclist is on shorter cranks (e.g., 172.5mm), the limit goes up beyond 160 rpm. On track conditions or smooth road surfaces, the limit goes beyond 190 rpm.”

In my testing of them back then, I was able to crack 174rpm with 175mm cranks on a trainer (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...tml#accuracy-testing).

However, I'd actually recommend you ask on the Garmin Forums (you can use the Vector 3 one, most people do for Vector 2 questions). Most of the Garmin Vector engineers hang out there, and will usually answer quite honestly somewhat 'out of curiosity'/oddball questions like this (the doing maths part): https://forums.garmin.com/...s/cycling/f/vector-3

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 2s Maximum Cadence: 200rpm?? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Is there a place where I can view the various upper limits of vector pedals? Perhaps this is a question for that Garmin forum? I have v2s and wife has v3s.

Interested in power and cadence limits.

Thanks for all the work you do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
πŸ“± Check out our app β†’ Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube β†’ Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 2s Maximum Cadence: 200rpm?? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No prob!

It's listed on the specs page for each product. Though, I can't seem to find it at the moment on Garmin's website, specifically the end of the manual usually lists it.

For the most part, almost all pedal based power meters are in a similiar range for top-end cadence, usually topping out around 150-180rpm.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 2s Maximum Cadence: 200rpm?? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roger that! Thank you!!

Quote Reply