Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Head unit DI2 battery level
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Just discovered that Garmin removed the ability to display your DI2 battery level on your Edge head unit in the latest software upgrade. Could not understand why I could not see it. Just been chatting to Garmin support. They are gauging support / interest levels in having it back. Bloody genius move, it's so useful to have accessible there.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Head unit DI2 battery level [KinderNeale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it just the Di2 battery field or the "Gear Battery" field? The two are basically the same, IME. So, as long as we have Gear Battery, we may be OK. (I use my HU across eTap & Di2, and the Gear Battery field seems to work the same for both and I do not use the Di2 battery field.)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Head unit DI2 battery level [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it might be both, but not positive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After the latest upgrade (9.10?) last week on my Edge 830, I noticed that the di2 battery percentage field had been changed/swapped to show a much less helpful 4 or 5 bar battery. Though it sounds like the same field can show multiple battery percentages (rear, front derailleurs on SRAM). Since I don’t have that, I would rather have my battery percentage back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am running the latest FW (9.10) on my Edge 530, and the di2 battery level is still there. It's under the Gears category, and there is a specific di2 Battery Level field. Although it's now a battery icon rather than percentages (which used to be in 5% increments), so a slight loss in granularity there.

There is a new icon for the field as well - given I now have to keep track of several different batteries (di2, Varia radar and head unit itself), I guess they now feel the need to be more specific.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Head unit DI2 battery level [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From product support:
The change you're seeing was due to our most recent update. There isn't a way to revert this change, but you could always leave ideas for us to take into consideration for future updates. Submitting an Idea to Garmin

Thank you for choosing Garmin,

Everyone should submit to ask them to change this back to %!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Head unit DI2 battery level [hmeyerowitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea! I submitted an idea to them also to ask for the numeric percentage option back!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Head unit DI2 battery level [ia_triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The more people that post about this the better...maybe they will fix it on the next update!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can this be checked on a 520 ? Do I have to have anything installed to check on my Ultegra DI2 ?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Head unit DI2 battery level [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're on 11 speed, you need the wireless unit (ew-wu111) which basically is never included on stock builds. I believe the 12 speed has the necessary wireless bits built in.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Head unit DI2 battery level [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The overall update is specifically applicable to the x30 head units (530, 830, 1030, and 1030 Plus). Garmin was not clear about parts of it, for example, does the battery level feature apply to other units and just the 12-speed features to the x30 units. My gut guess is that the 12-speed and multi-battery level field are only x30 features.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noticed that Garmin reverted to the previous style of displaying "XX%" for the battery. I didn't update my displays, it changed with one of their updates.

I know I complained to them about it, as did others who also didn't understand why they would remove functionality from a device.

But at least the changed it back, it's a backhanded compliment but that's all they're getting. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Head unit DI2 battery level [txtyree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just to quickly piggyback, are you seeking any battery stsus updates for sram axs? i have it as gear battery and it always shows full battery, even when i know it isn't full
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Head unit DI2 battery level [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll have to check on that. I have AXS on my MTB but it's been a bit since I used an Edge computer with it, I've been mountain biking with a watch lately and I'm not sure if there's been any change to Garmin's Sram battery support which IIRC wasn't that great.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Head unit DI2 battery level [txtyree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I am puzzled... Last week I rode with my eTap road bike, and my 1030 Gear battery field showed independent icons and battery % for both shifters and both derailleurs. It was fantastic. I had been getting low battery messages prior to this, and the new field update clearly showed that it was my left shifter with a low battery. If they reverted away from this, I will be bumming.
Quote Reply