Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin HR strap just reading 244 HR constantly?
Quote | Reply
I unpacked all my gear from IM Canada and threw on the HR strap, only to get really weird readings. Constantly disconnecting and connecting, and almost always reading 242 to 245 HR. You would think that's obviously the battery, but I just put in a new one and I'm getting the same thing. Any thoughts on if it's the HR strap itself or even the 920xt it's connected to?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HR strap just reading 244 HR constantly? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a few issues with mine a while ago, asked on here and the general consensus was that extended periods of high readings (200 bpm+) was an indicator of a worn out/damaged strap. Is there any way it could have been damaged in transit?

There are a lot of reports of it with the Garmin soft straps (especially the older versions), have a Google and see if the reports match what you're seeing. I'd be surprised if it's an issue with the watch, but I suppose anything is possible with Garmin. If it's dead then you can still reuse the clip-on module, so you're not looking at the (quite frankly ridiculous) $100USD MSRP for a whole new one.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HR strap just reading 244 HR constantly? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is the strap, well known problem.
The little clips where the centre clips on gets bad contact with the sensor strips, you can measure this with a multimeter.

Get a different brand strap to use, as long as it is ant + it will work, the Garmin ones are simlpy crap, nice and comfortable, but crap in the reliability department.
Pretty much most Garmin straps won't make it to the first battery change before the reading becomes unreliable.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HR strap just reading 244 HR constantly? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. Thought that might be the problem. I think I have a Suunto ANT+ one laying around and will switch back to that instead of wasting time trying to fix this.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had some issues with mine as well. Went with a Wahoo strap and haven't had a problem since. It was recommended at the store, since they knew about the Garmin strap problems. Mine was a soft strap by the way...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
It is the strap, well known problem.
The little clips where the centre clips on gets bad contact with the sensor strips, you can measure this with a multimeter.

Get a different brand strap to use, as long as it is ant + it will work, the Garmin ones are simlpy crap, nice and comfortable, but crap in the reliability department.
Pretty much most Garmin straps won't make it to the first battery change before the reading becomes unreliable.

Really?? I never knew this. I can use any HR strap that uses ant+? How'd I miss this? That's great news.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using my Garmin hard strap for 3 years

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polar makes an excellent ant+ soft strap that is available for under $20 on Amazon. You do have to do a small hack to get it to fit a Garmin unit. The Polar has a plastic/rubber surround around the silver snaps that prevents the Garmin from making a solid click lock. Simply use a razor knife to "circumcise" the top half of the surround and it works perfectly. (You may have to gently "saw" through the plastic until you feel the metal of the snap). Pictures from electrohero .com

After trimming

Quote Reply