Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin HRMs easily breaks
Quote | Reply
I’m speaking specifically of the integrated HRMs that usually have some colored rubber seal. For me, I have had two Garmin HRM-Runs break, and I can’t determine the cause. I love Garmin watches, so I like to stay in the garden with the accessories, so I’d like to keep my current HRM-tri from breaking. Are they sensitive, is this a known issue? I do rinse them after each use and hang them up, so I don’t totally abuse them.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRMs easily breaks [Driva77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They seem to be. I've had 3 HRM-TRI straps.

My first one lasted two+ years.
My second one lasted a month before starting to flake out...and, ~6 to stop working at all.
My third one lasted about 2 months, and started flaking out last week.

Thanks for reminding me I need to call Garmin, again.

I have a hard strap that's lasted for 4 years that I use as a backup. Its been rock-solid. It's just not quite as comfortable on my boney chest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There *was* an HRM-Run that was a black pod (with a running man logo) with snaps on either side on a pretty comfortable strap. Discontinued (I think), but occasionally shows up on eBay in new condition. I use this but also have a Wahoo TICKR that has a pretty similar physical arrangement (but no Run Dynamics measures - at least I don't think so, I haven't used it!).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRMs easily breaks [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to have that strap, the soft strap with a module with the running logo, and it lasted years. The only reason I use the new ones now is I stripped the screws one day, and it doesn’t do swimming. Shame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they seem to be a rather disposable item and the reason I stopped buying the expensive ones. I dread every time I have to replace the batteries. 50/50 that it wakes up again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look in the comments of the DC Rainmaker review of the newest strap - full of reports of this. I've just had a warranty strap arrive from Garmin.

They are fine out the box, but once you change the battery you are on borrowed time. I've been through 3 straps (and now have the warranty ready as a 'spare'). And I know personally several others with the same issue. You change battery, and then a month later it's dead battery. Odd, change again and the strap stays 'live' and drains the battery.

No matter how careful I am with that seal, it seems to leak. Note that I suspect there may be a 'sweat composition' issue at play here too. I don't wear the strap for swimming apart from a couple of races a year, so it's from the sweat of running / cycling. And many moons ago I killed a FR201 after half a dozen uses and a few months sat idle where the charge contacts that were against my skin corroded. My bikes need lots of TLC from rusting stem bolts and headsets, even on my outdoor only bikes. My trainer hulk is basically a pile of rust with a few shimano components still visible sticking out the sides.

But that doesn't get around the crappy design from Garmin that kills an expensive strap that is intended to be user serviceable. I've still got the older press stud on/off pod that's about a decade old now and working fine. Just doesn't have the run metrics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Tickr is about 1/3 the price and i've had no problems and replaced the battery multiple times. My garmins would always crap out after the second battery replacement.
Last edited by: MadTownTRI: Oct 15, 20 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRMs easily breaks [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Look in the comments of the DC Rainmaker review of the newest strap - full of reports of this. I've just had a warranty strap arrive from Garmin.

They are fine out the box, but once you change the battery you are on borrowed time. I've been through 3 straps (and now have the warranty ready as a 'spare'). And I know personally several others with the same issue. You change battery, and then a month later it's dead battery. Odd, change again and the strap stays 'live' and drains the battery.

I never opened the battery case of either of the last two HRM-TRI straps until after it already stopped working. I replaced the battery afterwards as a troubleshooting step with no-joy. I just got off the phone with Garmin support, and they are sending me another replacement....of the HRM-PRO this time. I guess we'll find out if the reports on DCR match my experience, also.

sometimes if I wear the strap for long enough it will eventually wake up and connect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both my wife and I had our HRM-Tri straps just shut down after <1 year, garmin replaced both of ours free of charge and I have had no problem since. I wondered if it was a design flaw with the first few waves of production that they kept quiet because of how quickly they said "well send you a new one" in the support request.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started to buy cheap China made HR straps on Amazon. This one in particular has been rock solid for well over a year - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BS6B4PD/
For the price of 2 Garmin straps you can buy 5 of those. If you don't care about capturing your HR during swim or their run dynamics metrics that are kinda uselss anyways, these are a much better deal.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRMs easily breaks [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
Yeah, they seem to be a rather disposable item and the reason I stopped buying the expensive ones. I dread every time I have to replace the batteries. 50/50 that it wakes up again

I have taken the disposable approach as well. I have tried 3 and they all break.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRMs easily breaks [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
I wondered if it was a design flaw with the first few waves of production that they kept quiet because of how quickly they said "well send you a new one" in the support request.

Don't think so. I got my first HRM-TRI in 2016. It lasted 2+ years. I got a second one, last September. It crapped out in Feb for good after a long slow painful death. I finally got around to replacing it in August. It crapped out last week.

So, that's three production runs separated by roughly 4 years. Only the first one lasted for any useful length of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRMs easily breaks [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

I never opened the battery case of either of the last two HRM-TRI straps until after it already stopped working.

Oh well your a freak that fries them by the strength of your ECG then ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

I never opened the battery case of either of the last two HRM-TRI straps until after it already stopped working.

At least I've got that going for me. :-) Maybe the wires in my sternum are amplifying the signal.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRMs easily breaks [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
The Tickr is about 1/3 the price and i've had no problems and replaced the battery multiple times. My garmins would always crap out after the second battery replacement.

I have the Tickr as well and have had no problems since buying in the spring.

How long does the battery last?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

Same experience here. I’ve been too lazy to try warranty, maybe I should. I did swap to the HRM-du for cycling and HRM-run for running, not doing the tri any longer.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRMs easily breaks [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:

Same here. Wahoo straps look very similar but last WAY longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Tri-straps suck.

Garmin Bluetooth straps are bomb proof. For the life of me I don't know why Garmin bundles the tri-straps (crap) when their Bluetooth is so reliable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Driva77 wrote:
I’m speaking specifically of the integrated HRMs that usually have some colored rubber seal. For me, I have had two Garmin HRM-Runs break, and I can’t determine the cause. I love Garmin watches, so I like to stay in the garden with the accessories, so I’d like to keep my current HRM-tri from breaking. Are they sensitive, is this a known issue? I do rinse them after each use and hang them up, so I don’t totally abuse them.

So a lot of comments about one path to a dead Garmin HRM strap. But as to your highlighted language, there is a little tab on the strap to remind you to wet the tabs before each use and to wash with a little dish soap every 7th use. I also do as you suggest and rinse after each use out of fear the strap becoming really groaty. Anyway, an oil and salt, etc. build-up on the strap will eventually kill the strap if you don't give it some maintenance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had any problem with my 3 years old HRM-TRI I have already changed 2 or 3 time the battery
Last edited by: clientsiman: Oct 16, 20 12:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the same problem with the HRM Tri. It stopped working after the second battery replacement.
It probably lasted 9 months, pretty disappointed as I love the Garmin watches and head units but the next HRM strap I buy will probably the the wahoo one.

That being said, I have found that the older Garmin HRM that you can clip the transmitter to works well and has not stopped working yet.. (3 years)
Quote Reply