Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin HRM goes bonkers
Quote | Reply
On cold days, my HRM takes about 5-10 mins and sometimes longer to settle in... So before it settles in, it will show 200+ bpm and just goes nuts. I've been able to alleviate this problem by wetting the contact points but now with the winter morning runs in the 30s and 40s, the HRM just takes a long time to settle in..

Any other tricks?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM goes bonkers [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
electrode gel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
electrode gel, tight base layer, hard strap not soft strap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
everyone above is correct. this is due to static electricity. Once you get good and sweaty, the static is reduced.
Some of the things to improve the situation:

Electrode Gel
Non-tech shirt, or very tight shirt
Wet the strap and the shirt better
Use the Polar strap. There's one that you can snap your garmin box into. it has better resistance to static
Breathe warm moist air down into your shirt.

but the real one that works for me is this stuff:

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM goes bonkers [morey000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
morey000 wrote:
everyone above is correct. this is due to static electricity. Once you get good and sweaty, the static is reduced.

Electrode Gel
Use the Polar strap. There's one that you can snap your garmin box into. it has better resistance to static

+1 Static Guard works wonders

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM goes bonkers [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumb question but how do you use it? pray yourself after you have everything on? Spray the HR monitor itself? Spray your shirt then put it on??
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM goes bonkers [morey000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
morey000 wrote:

Electrode Gel

My garmin HR transmitter goes bonkers no matter what I do. Even without a shirt, with gel and with the newest Polar strap used maybe 10 times. Drives me insane. The hard strap is as reliable as an anvil, however. It has never let me down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine has done that in extreme heat- 120+ in Afghanistan it was reading 300bpm and higher, Im relatively sure that wasn't accurate; though it did feel like my heart was going to beat itself out of my chest and such. It also does it any time I have my iPod in the chest pocket of my running vest and it hits against the front of the sensor.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM goes bonkers [mallaire1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mallaire1 wrote:
Dumb question but how do you use it? pray yourself after you have everything on? Spray the HR monitor itself? Spray your shirt then put it on??

It does help to spray it right on the strap. Then I'll spray it on the shirt. It's wet, so it seeps through. I also wear a nylon reflecto vest this time of year, so I spray the inside of the chest area of the vest.

Basically, anything that rubs against or in the vicinity of the strap.
Quote Reply