Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin Forerunner 945
Quote | Reply
Has anyone gotten this watch and used it for races?

I’m shopping for a new watch (lost my old one :/) and it’s on sale now so thought I’d check in and see if people are happy with it.

The GPS / mapping accuracy is pretty high up on the list of priorities for me. I don’t care much about tracking my daily activities / sleep but I heard this stores music? Is that right? Do you use Bluetooth headphones with it?

How’s the wrist HRM? One of my watches failed in this aspect so if the tech is still not good could I bluetooth it with my Suunto belt?

How’s the barometric altimeter - is it pretty spot on? Battery life?

I’ll use it mainly for tris, open water / ocean swims, and road and trail running.

Sale ends tomorrow so any insight / advice you can share would be awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The watch has only been in people's hands for a week so not sure anyone has raced with it yet. I pre-ordered mine and received it last Thursday. Still in the box so can't help with specific questions.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh I thought it was released last month .. ok no worries I’ll probably purchase today (before sale ends and will just give it a whirl ..)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought it on release upgrading from a 735xt. I raced with it at IM70.3 Gulf Coast. Optical HR and GPS accuracy weren't an issue and seemed on par with what the 735xt provided. The HR sensor does seem to be a bit less finnicky and more stable. That being said, I don't really check HR much during a 70.3 and don't spend the time putting on a strap. OWS GPS seemed spot on but that has always fluctuated for me day-to-day.

Haven't paid attention to the altimeter. I live in FL so any elevation change is minimal. There's more fluctuation just in background air pressure than there probably is in actual elevation change where I am.

Battery life has been really impressive to me as well as the performance stats, though I don't really do all that much with them other than drool. Again, this is coming from a 735xt which wasn't the best for battery.

Overall, I really like it so far.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where did you find it on sale?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto trihawg. I raced with my 945 at Gulf Coast. It was flawless. The screen is fantastic. I liked seeing the swim and run temperature too. It confirmed my run misery.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't seem to find it available anywhere, where did you buy it?

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pre-ordered mine on Clever Training the morning of release. A friend pre-ordered his about 30 minutes after me, and his came about a week later. I think they sold out fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are an REI member you should be able to get 20% through this week on it. That isn't too bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [Snowvols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snowvols wrote:
If you are an REI member you should be able to get 20% through this week on it. That isn't too bad.
Read the fine print. Usually the 20% off doesn’t cover electronics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the tip, just checked and apparently they actually have it in stock at my local store. The 20% off is not good on GPS products though :-(

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Read the fine print. Usually the 20% off doesn’t cover electronics.

Bummer you usually can use your 20% off coupon for the April sale. So nevermind. Good catch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the record, many may be able to get this on sale (any Garmin product 35% off) if you have a specific type of health insurance. It's a little known benefit. The Garmin Forerunner 945 is $389.99 after discount via their site.

Last edited by: TRobTri: May 21, 19 16:53
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [TRobTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRobTri wrote:
For the record, many may be able to get this on sale (any Garmin product 35% off) if you have a specific type of health insurance. It's a little known benefit. The Garmin Forerunner 945 is $389.99 after discount via their site.

can you provide some more info? how do i find out about this? thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a read of DC Rainmakers in depth review.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...armin-forerunner-945
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
TRobTri wrote:

Looks like BCBS offers this through some of their state programs. Mine's not signed up yet:(

https://www.blue365deals.com/...A/offers/garmin-30-s
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
dgutstadt wrote:
TRobTri wrote:

Looks like BCBS offers this through some of their state programs. Mine's not signed up yet:(

I was just googling and found blue365 and I'm also screwed, not offered with my bcbs either. Bummer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
dgutstadt wrote:
TRobTri wrote:

I was just googling and found blue365 and I'm also screwed, not offered with my bcbs either. Bummer

Found this list of participating states: https://www.blue365deals.com/...ating-blue-companies
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, meant to provide this info/more details last night but was in a hurry. The blue365 is the program (I believe the parent company, which is Highmark Blue Shield?). If you use their program, I believe it's called Healthways, you get all the discounts and nice gym membership deals (I pay $25/month and can access almost any gym and get the discounts). I may try to see how a bulk order works and how many they'll let me purchase and if it works, can likely assist those looking to purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks TRobTri. I wasn't aware of this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be down for a bulk purchase if you're able to swing that TRob.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 945 [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Rainmaker had a 10% off coupon, might still be there if you look at his discount codes, I used it (UK) but I'm still waiting for the watch to arrive :(

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 35% discount also works if you are a Kaiser Permanente member. You can use this link to register with Choose Healthy:

https://www.choosehealthy.com/home?pc=AB

Once you register, just click the Garmin box about halfway down the page.

Last edited by: RangersBouncy: May 23, 19 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious to know if any of the new features are likely to drip down onto the 935 - the one that I could benefit most from is the Training Load Focus (if this isn't dependent upon the new spo2 sensor)

In the UK, the 935 can be had for £350 (Wiggle for example). I'm not convinced the 945 is worth the extra £170 - so at the moment I'm thinking I'll hold out and wait to see what's available around Black Friday...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
TRobTri wrote:

Wow. That's the wholesale price.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply

Prev Next