Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Fenix 5 red triangle during swim
Quote | Reply
Today when I was swimming with a workout on my watch I got a red triangle and had to restart my swim tracking with a non-workout. I was fortunate that it was complicated workout I had printed it out so I could look at it after each interval set.

I have had this happen once before. It seems like, although I don’t remember for sure, that it happens when it’s a complicated, multi-repeat steps workout.

Has anyone else seen this or am I the only “special” person here?

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Last edited by: LEBoyd: Dec 14, 20 16:25
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Fenix 5 red triangle during swim [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm...I don't think I've ever heard of a red triangle. But there is a blue triangle (the Garmin logo) that happens when the unit restarts - which, is I suspect what occured.

Crashes/restarts are crazy rare these days in Garmin devices. However, unless you're running beta software, it's likely the cause of the crash was corruption in the file itself. Which seems even more likely in that you were running a structured workout (which is ultimately just a .FIT file full of instructions).

Now unfortunately, there's very little you could have done to prevent this. There's virtually no viable way for you to know a file was corrupted. My recommendation would be delete that workout off your watch and re-sync it. Then, for fun, some evening while you're making dinner or something, just start that structured workout on your watch and let it roll. No need to fake swimming or anything, just let it run to completion.

If you see a crash again, I'd do a hard reset of your device. That would mean there's probably some other corruption going on, and usually a hard reset fixes it.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Fenix 5 red triangle during swim [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:

Crashes/restarts are crazy rare these days in Garmin devices. However, unless you're running beta software, it's likely the cause of the crash was corruption in the file itself. Which seems even more likely in that you were running a structured workout (which is ultimately just a .FIT file full of instructions).

I don't think they are that rare. In the fenix 6, if you end a swim with a drill, the watch crashes and the garmin logo appears (with different software updates). I've discussed it with support and they didn't provide any solution. Maybe the only solution is to finish with a normal interval.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Fenix 5 red triangle during swim [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
Hmm...I don't think I've ever heard of a red triangle. But there is a blue triangle (the Garmin logo) that happens when the unit restarts - which, is I suspect what occured.

Did I mention I'm colorblind? :) It could have been blue. I was only guessing it was red because I was sure it wasn't yellow and warning/error triangles are suppose to be yellow or red - LOL.

dcrainmaker wrote:
If you see a crash again, I'd do a hard reset of your device. That would mean there's probably some other corruption going on, and usually a hard reset fixes it.

I assume if I do the hard reset, to get it back to the current settings, I just reconnect it to my iPhone and sync with Connect?

Thanks for the help!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:

I assume if I do the hard reset, to get it back to the current settings, I just reconnect it to my iPhone and sync with Connect?

Oh yes, you would think that wouldn't you. As of course in 2020 that would be obvious. As it would be bonkers to have to go through and set everything up again, watchface, any changes to custom screens, your device pool.......

#facepalm.
Last edited by: Duncan74: Dec 15, 20 15:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

Did I mention I'm colorblind? :) It could have been blue. I was only guessing it was red because I was sure it wasn't yellow and warning/error triangles are suppose to be yellow or red - LOL.

dcrainmaker wrote:

Thanks for the help!

Hard reset = press and hold top left (through Alert screen) until power down, then restart. Only unsynced steps etc lost. All other settings kept.

Despite several posts in the Garmin forums about having problems with pool swims I also think these crashes are rare. I haven't seen any irrespective of whether the sets are complicated or easy, and with or without drills. Same for others I know who are pool swimming still. There is a program you can download FitFileRepair tool (has a small cost) that some people have been using to fix up corrupted files. You might also be able to get the file fixed by asking someone on the Garmin Forums too.

However, some people (you included) are obviously having problems so the best thing to do is to contact Garmin Support and have a chat with them. YMMV will vary though!

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Fenix 5 red triangle during swim [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may not have been clear in my description. The triangle came during a workout and there was not way to resume it. I had to just start another non-workout swim. The active uploaded without any problems there - except it did lose one 50m interval. I don’t know what repairing the .fit file would do.

Quote Reply