Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin EPIX - post your 1st impressions here (v.s. Fenix line)
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in what folks who have been using the Fenix for adventure / hiking / endurance feel about the EPIX.
Intriguing !!!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin EPIX - post your 1st impressions here (v.s. Fenix line) [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, most people will not get until 1-2 months.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin EPIX - post your 1st impressions here (v.s. Fenix line) [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DCR just did a writeup on it: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...in-depth-review.html

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was younger, I would get the Fenix, now that my eyes are older I am leaning toward the Epix.

Based on some experiences with Venu's AMOLED, I am a little leery of screen burn-in, but it sounds like only a few run into that problem and Garmin has been pretty good about replacing if it happens fast enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin EPIX - post your 1st impressions here (v.s. Fenix line) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

There is a guy on Reddit who got his and his fenix 7. He says he’s sending the fenix 7 back bc he likes the epix so much

https://www.reddit.com/...&utm_name=iossmf
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin EPIX - post your 1st impressions here (v.s. Fenix line) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

Not sure where you get that information from. Users posting in the Garmin Forums with Epix in hand. Sadly, in New Zealand I've around 3 weeks to wait.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin EPIX - post your 1st impressions here (v.s. Fenix line) [philipshambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin website says 3-5 weeks and 5-8 weeks.
Tribike53 wrote:
There is a guy on Reddit who got his and his fenix 7.
I wonder how he got it. You couldn’t order them from Garmin until yesterday, and they aren’t shipping until next month.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jan 19, 22 19:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Garmin website says 3-5 weeks and 5-8 weeks.
Tribike53 wrote:
There is a guy on Reddit who got his and his fenix 7.
I wonder how he got it. You couldn’t order them from Garmin until yesterday, and they aren’t shipping until next month.

Garmin dealers were offered preorders before Christmas even though embargo was in place thru 1/18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine has been posted and is supposed to be here in the next few days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got mine yesterday (ordered on Tuesday from Wiggle)

Initial impressions are that it's very similar to my 945 in operation, with just a way way better screen - so much nicer. I have the black titanium version so it's obviously a lot more solid than my 945.

Touch screen seems to work well - things like typing the pin for Garmin Pay are much easier, and the screen brightening when you raise your wrist seems to work a lot better than the previous watch.

Any questions then let me know......
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin EPIX - post your 1st impressions here (v.s. Fenix line) [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Garmin dealers were offered preorders before Christmas even though embargo was in place thru 1/18.
Aaah, they didn't tell me that. No dealers or mail order shops around me have it, and the Garmin rep said that supplies were limited. So, I took their website statement at face value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my direct from the Garmin website, no retailers had them. Only had the black one though.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin EPIX - post your 1st impressions here (v.s. Fenix line) [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the white titanium is 1 to 2 weeks. I ordered one and can't wait to get, hopefully sooner than 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin EPIX - post your 1st impressions here (v.s. Fenix line) [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm........... wonder how long before the EPIX X Plus ?
Think I'm gonna wait.
I've got a bunch of size 26 bands that won't fit the current model EPIX.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Torn between the Epix and the 7 to replace my 5+ Titanium. I found Ray's battery consumption charts encouraging. While I don't mind recharging a couple of times per week I need this thing to run for 12h to give me a 90min buffer and some peace of mind for Ironman races. Ideally at least 3-4 years down the road since replacing the battery usually means getting a new unit at a discounted price from Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin EPIX - post your 1st impressions here (v.s. Fenix line) [Dembo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered both then kept the Epix. The screen is just amazing and I think the battery life is more than sufficient for a full Ironman. So far I'm charging it less than my current Fenix 5+ Titanium and I've used that for several Ironman races... Even if I went the full 17 hours I think it would be fine!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin EPIX - post your 1st impressions here (v.s. Fenix line) [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's very good news for Garmin and bad news for my savings... Guess I'll go for the Epix Sapphire then - go big or go home. Although I feels a bit absurd to strap roughly 1k to my wrist knowing that this will be obsolete in a couple of years.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin EPIX - post your 1st impressions here (v.s. Fenix line) [Dembo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dembo wrote:
That's very good news for Garmin and bad news for my savings... Guess I'll go for the Epix Sapphire then - go big or go home. Although I feels a bit absurd to strap roughly 1k to my wrist knowing that this will be obsolete in a couple of years.

My 935 is still going strong. I guess I was 'fortunate' that it suffered the cracked HR sensor and failed barometer at 3 years old so was replaced by garmin with a refurbished unit. Doesn't do google pay which is the only thing I think I miss from the new ones, but critically is just thin enough to fit under my double cuff shirts for work. If/when I replace the new ones are all a little thicker and so that is a very personal and specific design feature, but one that's more valuable to me than the other things that the new models come with.

Point being, you absolutely can choose to move up to the newer/shiner thing in 2 years, but the one you buy today will still meet all your needs in 2 years time. Just like google pay for me, it would be nice, but I didn't have it 5 years ago and managed not to starve, so I can still today slum it and pull my bank card out of my jersey pocket when we get to the cake stop, or my emergency $20 from my run short pocket.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin EPIX - post your 1st impressions here (v.s. Fenix line) [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you and that is precisely the reason why I am still rocking my F5+ and never upgraded to the F6. However, I think it is time to let go now: The watch lasts for approx. 10h in my race configuration (i.e. connected sensors etc.) and while that is sufficient for almost everything except IM races (and I could probably solve the issues there with using my Edge only for the bike part, using UltraTrac etc.) I did rent an F6 for an IM last year and basically never had to worry about my watch which is exactly what a watch should do (and please everybody: don't start the old "do not rely on gadgets for races" discussion). Furthermore the charging pins are slowly being chewed away - 10h - 16h training per week (including 3-4 swims), all kinds of hiking and ski touring took their toll during the last 3.5 years and it is time to retire the watch for backup / emergency purposes.

With regards to new features, since I use the map quite a bit for trail running the touch screen might be really handy and I kinda liked the RPE questionnaire after each workout - just one less thing to forget, if only it would sync to TP. So there is reason to upgrade, probably in a couple of weeks or months. Although I am still undecided between the beautiful screen and the incredible running times. Currently leaning again towards the F7 Sapphire Solar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone using the Epic or Fenix 7 have any updates now that these have been out for a few months? Still using my Fenix5 and likely keep through eoy (but charge doesn't seem to last as long).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am waiting...... waiting ..... waiting.... for an EPIX (Plus) with size 26 band (to fit my current bands) and Sapphire, Solar .......
No intel on this - just fingers crossed.
Quote Reply