Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Devices issues lately (related to ransomware attack)
Quote | Reply
So I bought my Garmin 920XT in March of 2016. The thing has been dead reliable. Have only had to reset (ie, turn it on and off) 4 times in 4 years.
But I had to about a week ago. And then, today, on a run, it showed pace but not distance. Mid run I tried to exit and save the workout. It got in this loop of "saving". Totally distracting and I cut my run short. Was finally able to turn it off and then back on and it seems to be back to normal.

Another friend who has a later model Fenix experienced sudden bizzare readings, like 5k of climbing on a flat 1.5 mile run about a week ago.

Has anyone else had similar issues since the "ransomware" attack? I'm not talking about upload issues, but weird issues with watch itself.

Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Devices issues lately (related to ransomware attack) [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar problem with my Fenix 6 during the outage. Pretty frustrating to discover it wasn't recording 2K into my run.

Deleted my past activities from the watch, has worked perfectly since.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Devices issues lately (related to ransomware attack) [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a stuck saving problem recently too on my 935.

Hold down the power button until it turns off and it will be back to normal.

No idea what’s going on
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Devices issues lately (related to ransomware attack) [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to do a reset on my GF's 935 and my 945
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was swimming laps and was in the rest timer screen. Went to start swimming again and the lap button was unresponsive. Was able to quit and save but the watch got stuck on that saving loop screen. I cycled the power and everything has been all goo ever since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue with my Fenix 6X. Deleting the activity files is enough to get it working again, no need to reset the whole watch. Use a USB cable and hook it up to the computer, find the .fit files and delete them all. Some watches let you do it from the menu without using a computer but I haven't seen that myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem. I fixed by by:
Hardwire connecting to my computer and sync with Garmin connect.
Delete old activities.
Soft restart (power cycle).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Devices issues lately (related to ransomware attack) [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
I had the same issue with my Fenix 6X. Deleting the activity files is enough to get it working again, no need to reset the whole watch. Use a USB cable and hook it up to the computer, find the .fit files and delete them all. Some watches let you do it from the menu without using a computer but I haven't seen that myself.

same worked for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since mostly 'wearables' mentioned here I'll chime in with my 520 bike computer was working just fine till Garmin connect was 'restored.' I did a ride that morning and when i went to save/upload the ride....BRICK. It took me about a hour to be able to make it a 'mass storage device' when connected to a computer to at least get the ride off before I then had to do a factory reset to 520. Obviously that meant redoing ALL my settings etc
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Devices issues lately (related to ransomware attack) [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 520 seemed to work fine but for some reason wouldn't connect via bluetooth to the android app. Had to remove it and re-pair for it to work again (and upload a ride). It took some time for some reason to load up the screen in the app for devices though.

My watch (245) seemed to reconnect and synce with no issues or additional steps.

On another forum there is discussions about Garmin on how they handled it and supposedly they paid the ransom (according to the thread topic header)...not a good sign.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Aug 4, 20 8:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen the weird saving issues in the past when devices (920, 735, 520) started to fill up and didn't have much free space. They've always resolved by clearing old files. Speculating, but it seems like there are some assumptions that have made it into the device software about always being connected and being able to upload + delete activity data. With their servers unavailable, folks are hitting the less tested scenarios for the software.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Devices issues lately (related to ransomware attack) [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
I've seen the weird saving issues in the past when devices (920, 735, 520) started to fill up and didn't have much free space. They've always resolved by clearing old files. Speculating, but it seems like there are some assumptions that have made it into the device software about always being connected and being able to upload + delete activity data. With their servers unavailable, folks are hitting the less tested scenarios for the software.

I think you nailed it. When I was manually uploading to Strava, there were a lot of .fit files in there.
After resetting, and post ransom-ware, there was only one file in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting that this was on the 945 update for today

"Fixed problem with device spinning/freezing on activity save due to unintentional file build-up. Note: device will need to sync to Garmin Connect after software update to resolve this issue."

https://www8.garmin.com/...details.jsp?id=14933
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Devices issues lately (related to ransomware attack) [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
My 520 seemed to work fine but for some reason wouldn't connect via bluetooth to the android app. Had to remove it and re-pair for it to work again (and upload a ride). It took some time for some reason to load up the screen in the app for devices though.

My watch (245) seemed to reconnect and synce with no issues or additional steps.

On another forum there is discussions about Garmin on how they handled it and supposedly they paid the ransom (according to the thread topic header)...not a good sign.

Yeah, it's very disappointing that they paid the ransom. It also means they haven't done a very good job backing up and protecting the data. It should have taken them 1 day max to restore everything from scratch and at most they should have lost an hour or 2 of data that wasn't backed up. The fact that they paid the ransom tells me they don't have proper backups (and of course proper security to protect from the hacks in the first place).

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/...edlocker-ransomware/
Last edited by: mcmetal: Aug 5, 20 18:09
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Devices issues lately (related to ransomware attack) [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So does anyone actually know if it is a security risk for individual users to continue maintaining their original Garmin Connect accounts? It's disappointing that we haven't seen anything (that I know of - correct me if I am wrong) from Garmin addressing this.

I see they are a Slowtwitch sponsor (thank you!); so Garmin people, if you're reading this, please chime in with any insights. I'm feeling pretty nervous about using my devices and your app at this point. Amirite?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Devices issues lately (related to ransomware attack) [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYSLIM wrote:
So does anyone actually know if it is a security risk for individual users to continue maintaining their original Garmin Connect accounts? It's disappointing that we haven't seen anything (that I know of - correct me if I am wrong) from Garmin addressing this.

I see they are a Slowtwitch sponsor (thank you!); so Garmin people, if you're reading this, please chime in with any insights. I'm feeling pretty nervous about using my devices and your app at this point. Amirite?

Thanks!

NYSLIM,
Yes, you are correct and to your point i haven't seen anything about what this means to their current level of security going forward.

I'm not smart but I presume the crooks have downloaded all of my information, that said, the biggest security risks are user credentials and passwords & credit card info.
I check my devices to see what other apps are connecting to Garmin (IQ Connect Store, Health & Fitness apps,MS Office 365, Strava are top of mind).
Obviously if you use the same credentials for other apps or personal accounts, you should considering changing those passwords also.

Shortly before the ransomware attack news story i received a targeted email with my Garmin specific password.
I figured they had been breached at that point. :/
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Devices issues lately (related to ransomware attack) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Interesting that this was on the 945 update for today

"Fixed problem with device spinning/freezing on activity save due to unintentional file build-up. Note: device will need to sync to Garmin Connect after software update to resolve this issue."

https://www8.garmin.com/...details.jsp?id=14933

Wow, thanks for spotting that. I guess this really was an issue; exactly what happened with my 920XT. I gotta say, it's remarkable how I count on that thing, daily, to work well.
I'm not that worried about my personal data; glad that Garmin is back on track.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Devices issues lately (related to ransomware attack) [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I check my devices to see what other apps are connecting to Garmin (IQ Connect Store, Health & Fitness apps,MS Office 365, Strava are top of mind).

How do you do that? I sort of understand when people say they don't care about their privacy on Garmin but I'm left wondering:

Is there a way to verify if the hacked Garmin apps (e.g., Garmin Connect, Garmin Connect IQ, Vivofit Jr.), as a result of the ransomware might now have installed malicious software that is quietly communicating with other apps to attain more sensitive information than my training log? Is this a valid concern?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever since the hack, I have noticed that Strava picks up my swims as a ride! The swims are ok in Garmin Connect and Swim.com. Not sure why but sent in a ticket to Garmin. I have been deleting them in Strava and putting them in manually.
Quote Reply