Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Connect, TP, Strava - How and why?
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone - I was hoping to get a little help with sites and apps make the most sense to utilize, which ones are redundant and which make sense to pay for.

Right now in some form or fashion I have Garmin Connect, Strava, Training Peaks. Do y'all live in one of those? or utilize them for different reasons?

Do all of them need to be utilized? Is there something I am missing? something that makes sense to pay for? They all seem to talk to each other in some way.

Thanks?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Connect, TP, Strava - How and why? [caseys8527] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin Connect - been using for years with all my devices...don't want to lose the data and/or ability to look at & compare totals. Totally free so no wasted $$

Strava - just use the free version to connect with friends, stalk rivals & impress the ladies (mostly my wife)

TrainingPeaks - just started using the paid version to (hopefully) get a better view of the details and be able to analyze them and fitness levels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have all three, but I really do not need or use them all...
  • Garmin Connect

• This is "free," since it comes with my devices
    • I use this heavily, since it has all my history and is the relay point for all activities
  • Strava

• I pay for Summit, because I like it
    • I only have Strava for the social aspects-- seeing what others are doing and comparing my activities to others
    • I like the Summit analysis features, but they are not essential
  • Training Peaks - don't use it

• I have an account
    • I have never used it
    • I do like their emails when it detects that hit some major threshold # after a workout

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more DIY and have 2+ sets of sensors to record.

I have two Garmin watches that record everything and sync with Garmin connect as my main data repository. Each watch has a separate account. Recently I bought WKO5 due to a discount and created two free Training Peaks accounts that sync with each Garmin Connect account. Those TP accounts feed WKO5 automatically.

Then I manually import those FIT files into Golden Cheetah.

I primarily use Golden Cheetah, and now WKO5. Between those two I can do most anything I want except for season planning. I don't really race yet and I follow canned training plans for now, so no need for me to do season planning.
Last edited by: Newduguy: Dec 9, 19 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Connect, TP, Strava - How and why? [Newduguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. Now what’s WKO5 and Golden cheetah?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Connect, TP, Strava - How and why? [Newduguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why are you using two devices and two accounts to have identical data?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A quick look at Golden Cheetah:
https://www.beredatraining.com/golden-cheetah/
Golden Cheetah is free, open-source software with a training mode (ERG, trainer support).

And WKO5,
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/wko5/
WKO5 is commercial software at $169.

They're two-sides of the same coin, in my opinion. Both are comprehensive data analytics software that deal with sports data and support user-defined metrics and charts, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Connect, TP, Strava - How and why? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have identical data only in the sense that two different sets of sensors are being logged during the activity. I like redundancy, pretty much. And often compare sensor data.

I was using two watches and a bike computer for a while on my bike when I was logging three power meters. Four if you count Golden Cheetah and a computrainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use garmin connect as the primary storage point and interface to everywhere else. It syncs to strava and training peaks.

Strava... Just free version for friends.

Training peaks... Premium account. Primary training plan. I use workout builder to create all my structured workouts. I plan those on my calendar using threshold percents (pace or power). Training peaks will sync back to my garmin connect calendar which then syncs to my watch (920xt). So my daily workouts show up on my watch every day.

I still use garmin connect for structured swim workouts because that's the only way for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As otehr said, I use garmin connect as the primary storage source and it syncs to strava and training peaks.

I recently got Strava but haven't really "used" it.

Training peaks basic... I use this to describe my workout and write "notes"/record information that Garmin connect wouldn't necessarily me--it was windy, humid, I took long potty break, whatever. Also, I find it easier to see my workout in short, handwritten format than how it would show up on Garmin Connect--at least on my phone (e.g., 10' WU, 5*5' at TH/1' rest, 5' WD). For me, this effectively takes the place of writing it down with pen/paper. But, there's a pretty good chance, I'm not using these apps to their fullesta bility--I'm a little old school
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use all three

Garmin Connect Downloads data uploads to Strava and TP

Strava for the social aspect

TP I like TrainingPeaks I use to load my training plan, set goals etc. The uploaded data shows me how good or bad I did against my goals. Plus if I miss a workout it shows red which inspires me not to miss a workout.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Connect, TP, Strava - How and why? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I use garmin connect as the primary storage point and interface to everywhere else. It syncs to strava and training peaks.

Strava... Just free version for friends.

Training peaks... Premium account. Primary training plan. I use workout builder to create all my structured workouts. I plan those on my calendar using threshold percents (pace or power). Training peaks will sync back to my garmin connect calendar which then syncs to my watch (920xt). So my daily workouts show up on my watch every day.

I still use garmin connect for structured swim workouts because that's the only way for that.

I do the same thing
Quote Reply