Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Body Battery vs Training Peaks
Quote | Reply
I've been a TP user for years, I organize all my training around the Performance Management (fitness/fatigue/form) dashboard.

But seems like Garmin Connect is making great strides. Their Body Battery is arguably more comprehensive than TP (eg includes sleep data) while autocalculating VO2 max as the indication of fitness.

Has anybody dumped TP for Garmin Connect?

PS yes, I know TP has much more than just performance management - but that's really the bit I use the most.
Last edited by: smallard: May 13, 22 23:45
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Body Battery vs Training Peaks [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn’t have to be either/or, it’s relatively easy to routinely look at multiple platforms and benefit from each of their unique guidance.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Body Battery vs Training Peaks [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> It doesn’t have to be either/or, it’s relatively easy to routinely look at multiple platforms and benefit from each of their unique guidance.

Well yes...except one is free and one costs $20 a month!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it might just be that i don't know how to use it properly but i've never liked the TP performance management chart.
i use the elevate for strava chrome extension which gives the same thing in a much clearer format. its free but i would encourage you to make a contribution if you keep using it.

i agree though, garmin body battery is a separate metric which should be used in conjunction with TSB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallard wrote:
I've been a TP user for years, I organize all my training around the Performance Management (fitness/fatigue/form) dashboard.

But seems like Garmin Connect is making great strides. Their Body Battery is arguably more comprehensive than TP (eg includes sleep data) while autocalculating VO2 max as the indication of fitness.

PS yes, I know TP has much more than just performance management - but that's really the bit I use the most.

I tried to use Garmin Body Battery, but it seemed to be almost entirely a sleep-meter. Like regardless of how much you destroy yourself today, as long as you get a good night's sleep, it seemed like your "battery" was 100% the next day.

I don't see them as competitors, but complementary, showing different things using different data. If I had to pick one, I'd pick some kind of PMC chart first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallard wrote:

I use them differently. I use 4 apps, MyFitnessPal, garmin, strava and TP. But for different reasons. MFP for calories, as i’m a bit overweight right now, strava only for segments, TP for CTL/ATL and general analysis like ramp rate and such. Garmin for everything else. Garmin body battery is generally good (and getting better), as it takes life into the mix. It’s pretty good when it comes to sleep, alcohol, general stress, where TP is only workouts. However, garmin seems to me to have some unrealistic recovery times for workouts. Body battery works Well to see What kind of workout I Can do. The caveat, is that if body battery is low, it’s sort of an excuse not to do a hard workout. But basically, I use (or track) body battery day to day and contemplate wether it’s right or not. And training peaks for tracking workout progress/fatigue. If it’s saturday morning and I had dinner with some friends (and maybe a bit too much Wine), training peaks is useless, body the body battery usually tells me a lot of stress during sleep, so a hard workout May not be the right thing. On the other hand, training peaks tells if my training load is ok or not with ramp rate, tsb and such. If you’re using both, body battery as a day to day overview and What workout to do today. TP for general load for workouts only
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Body Battery vs Training Peaks [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One things for sure, Garmin seems to know when you've had a boozy sleep...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't trust Garmin's VO2 max calculation. They're notoriously poor predictors of actual V02 max.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Body Battery vs Training Peaks [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
I wouldn't trust Garmin's VO2 max calculation. They're notoriously poor predictors of actual V02 max.

If you dig into the Firstbeat white papers, you will see that they claim the VO2Max estimate to be within about 5% accuracy. But they also note that the accuracy of the estimate depends significantly on the accuracy of the HRMax datapoint, and that's something a lot of athletes don't have a good handle. The default 220 minus age for HRMax might be the population average, but it is a poor predictor of HRMax for any one individual.

If you don't believe the VO2Max estimate, the accuracy of your HRMax is probably where you should be looking.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Body Battery vs Training Peaks [Sprusky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sprusky wrote:
One things for sure, Garmin seems to know when you've had a boozy sleep...

SO true!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Body Battery vs Training Peaks [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does the Body Battery on a 945 take into account what you do on an Edge 530?

does anyone know?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Body Battery vs Training Peaks [lemos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not explicitly listed for the Physio True Up syncing ( https://support.garmin.com/...PECQK58qA0xzJ5X74vm7 ), so it might not directly. The Edge devices don't try to compute it, so there may not be anything sync related to do - if it uses training load behind the scenes/fills in HR from the activities it might effectively sync. If you're wearing the watch, it should at least get HR data from the optical sensor and fill it in from that.
Quote Reply