Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Bike Speed Sensor
Quote | Reply
I have had really bad luck /experience with the current Garmin Ant+ bike speed sensor, paired to teh 935 watch. I currently have 4 speed sensors in my arsenal :)

I have debugged, with Garmin tech support, doing everything from updating watch firmware to deleting file folders manually through PC, to replacing batteries, to using Vaseline on the battery (per Garmin support), to trying a separate watch (my son also have a 935).

I can always get it to work somehow eventually but it is completely unreliable. Once I had to give up and then half way through the ride the 935 suddenly picked up speed.

I am getting very good at navigating the watch, but I really would like it to "just" work as my footpod does; I connect and pair it once, then it just works.

With the bike speed sensor, it might work once in a rare while, but typically I spin up the bike, start the indoor bike mode, and then the little speed icon flashes on the watch but it does not pick up speed. When I get tired of watching the wheel spin, I will go in and try to connect to the sensor again. Sometime it will connect, often it will say "try again" and I try and try and it might pick up eventually, it might not. Then I will remove the sensor from the watch pairing, then search for sensors again and it might find it, it might not. Then I will remove battery. You get the idea.

I just cannot believe that the quality of the speed pod is so bad that all 4 sensors I have are defective, or that I have 2 faulty 935 watches (and they pick up running sensor with no problem).

Any ideas? I am close to just buying a different brand of speed sensor. Any recommendation for a different sensor? Or ideas of what can be going wrong? I do not have any interfering wireless stuff in the area of my bike trainer. Treadmill is in same area and footpod works perfectly.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Bike Speed Sensor [WhySwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you have bad interference in your environment. I have a similar problem in my basement with my Ant+ HR sensor connected to both my Garmin and TrainerRoad via Ant+ dongle. Some days, the HRM will connect and be fine through the ride. Other days, I will have to power cycle the HRM many times during a 1-hour workout to reestablish a connection to both devices. My Wahoo and power meter over Ant+ are rock solid. I bought a second HRM (same product), and have the same symptoms. I am convinced that it is due to some intermittent interference that hits just the HRM, because the HRM is otherwise perfect 100% of the time outside.

I have a Rhythm 24 on pre-order, and I am hopeful that the symptoms will not exist with the new one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi WhySwim,

I don't own a 935 so I'm not able offer any specific advise regarding your set up.

I'm not familiar with the 935 but once I pair my sensor to the 510 it will automatically connect when both devices are on and near each other. Not sure why this is not the case for the 935 and your sensor.

Are you near other riders when you are attempting to pair the speed sensor to the 935? You should move away a good 50 meters then disconnect the sensor and pair it again.

Did you buy the watch through a brick and mortar? I would definitely go back and ask them to help set this up for you.

It's weird that it works sometimes but not every time. Are you using a fresh battery on the sensor? Are you making sure the battery holder is twisted closed all the way?

Some questions sound stupid but sometimes you have to make sure all the bases are covered.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Bike Speed Sensor [the_thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks thief for your help :)

Bought watches at local REI, all 4 sensors directly from Garmin.

By now I am guessing there is a general hiccup with the 935 software and the pod. Although weird there does not seem to be others with this issue (according to Garmin and a simple google search).

I am pretty technical, I think :) Yes new batteries, for sure closed correctly, no other riders around etc. I have even tried to leave my running shoes far away to make sure the watch would not get confused with the the footpod and speed sensor both in range.

Thing is you can always get it to work eventually, so every time I get help from Garmin we "think" this is IT, but alas, problem always returns.

I think I just have to give up on it and get a different brand sensor, too many hours lost that could have been used actually training :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wahoo S/C sensor works. It is a little clunkier since it mounts to the chainstay and needs a spoke magnet, but otherwise good.

FWIW, I have the new style Garmin speed sensor on my MTB, and has worked flawlessly, except for one oddity. I replaced the battery and it would not wake up and pair. Finally, after some combo of spinning the wheel and pushing the tiny button...works as expected. When I start riding, my 520 goes: bleep, bloop, speed sensor connected (or similar).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would take the watch and sensors and ask REI to help set them up.

If it doesn't work contact Garmin and start a warranty claim and request a refund for the sensors.

Also ask REI if they can recommend a sensor that works. Buy it if works.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Bike Speed Sensor [the_thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you really need a speed sensor with the 935? It will tell you fairly accurately how fast you're going without it. I was wondering about this because I just got a 935 myself. I don't need cadence, just something to tell me (approximately) how fast I'm going and my avg speed at the end of the ride. My needs may be more basic than yours. If there is a strong reason to get a sensor, let me know.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Bike Speed Sensor [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only use the speed sensor for trainer riding. My Garmin Edge 520 uses gps to calculate speed when outside. It ignores the speed sensor when outdoors. The 935 might be ignoring the speed sensor outside since it's set up to use gps. My indoor and outdoor device profiles are different because of this...something you might want to look at on your 935.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Bike Speed Sensor [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhySwim wrote:
typically I spin up the bike, start the indoor bike mode

I think he needs it for indoor bike training.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Bike Speed Sensor [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah sorry, I didn't pick up on the indoor trainer part. For that, I just rely on Zwift to tell tell me my speed. I figure with a sensor or Zwift riding indoors on a given trainer, either way accuracy is not going to be very realistic compared to riding outside.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW i’ve Only had Garmin speed/cadence sensors with my Garmiins since the 305. I’ve always had the GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor and rarely had any problems indoors or out. Ran indoor training sessions with up to 15 bikes sending ANT+ signals to a laptop running PerfPro studio and never had any problems. Actually there was one problem and that was someone with a Stages PM. Now moved to the magnetless separate speed and cadence sensor with the 935 and not having any problems.

My take, like someone has already noted, is likely something with your environment affecting the signal.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Bike Speed Sensor [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super thanks for all the feedback.

To the question of why I need a sensor, yes it is for picking up speed on the watch on the indoor trainer. I still run a wired Ergomo powermeter - you have to be really old to know what that is :) - and I do a lot of training on a good old Fluid 2 trainer. I have other trainers but really prefer to feel of a fluid trainer. The Fluid 2 is so consistent in terms of power curve that if I take splits on for say 20 min FTP intervals the average speed for that interval is completely reliable and just a nice extra data point to confirm that all is as it should be.

Also, with the speed pickup on the 935 I at least get some data including total distance on the Garmin phone App. Just nice to have I think.

This AM the watch would not connect, but I kept the wheel spinning and after about 1.5 minute it picked up the sensor. I have a feeling this will not repeat tomorrow but we will see. I still think a different brand sensor will be the final solution :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>> I do not have any interfering wireless stuff in the area of my bike trainer.

You don't know that.

Take your bike and garmin out of the city. Bet the wireless will be 100% reliable away from all the radio noise.
Quote Reply