Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Anaerobic Training Effect on Garmin Fenix 3?
Quote | Reply
I've just upgraded my bike head-unit to the Garmin Edge 530 and it gives each workout an aerobic and anaerobic training effect, tracking the cumulative effect of these over longer time periods.

Whilst I'm a bit sceptical of these (and particularly given I haven't seen a whole lot around how they are calculated), I do like it as an auxillary to TSS, CTL, ATL etc, which don't really represent this; in the past I've fallen into the trap of favouring long low-intensity workouts when fatigued just to keep the CTL going up.

My question is: is there any way to get the same metrics for my running workouts on my fenix 3? It currently gives me an aerobic training score for each workout, but no anaerobic effect, which is what I want really.

Is this something to do with the way I have it set up? e.g. if I do a LTHR test or use "running power", will it give me anaerobic training effect? Or is this just a limitation of the device?

Many thanks! Adam
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Anaerobic Training Effect on Garmin Fenix 3? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Firstbeat (who provide the underlying analytic algorithms used by Garmin) moved from a single Training Effect score to a 2 part Aerobic/Anaerobic TE sometime between the release of the Garmin Fenix 3 and the F5 (and the Edge 530). As Firstbeat licence on a per-device basis, their features are not available retrospectively.

The Firstbeat website has some white papers with more detail on TE. https://www.firstbeat.com/...rs-and-publications/
You may want to read the EPOC paper as well as the TE papers to get a better understanding of what goes into these calculations.
Quote Reply