Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [microspawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've not used TrainerRoad. I've used Perfpro to control the Kickr with Zwift just reading the Kickr as a power meter (by removing the Kickr from "controllable trainer" in the Zwift settings screen, and using 2 ANT+ dongles) and get the same effect. I'll try with just Perfpro running to see if that does it (I don't think it did in the past, but there have been firmware updates since last year on both the Kickr and 920XT).

I enclose a GC screenshot that shows quite nicely the fact that it's only the power and speed that are dropping out (both from the Kickr), whilst cadence/heart rate and moxy data stay fine. It also shows quite nicely the amazing regularity of the dropouts - at around 100 seconds (+/- about 10).
Last edited by: thigger: Jan 7, 17 2:10
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [thigger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heard back from Wahoo:

Quote:
The developers indicated this is a known issue releated to the connection between the Garmin and the KICKR. They are currently working to resolve this issue. Unfortunately, they were unable to provide an eta for the resolution.

Not sure how promising that sounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone having this dropout issue gotten it resolved? I just updated my Kickr firmware from 1.2.2 (yikes!) to 1.4.47, and my intervals are now lousy with power drops.

Updated again to firmware 1.5.63 but haven't used it yet. Given everyone's experience, I'm not optimistic the update will help.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately 1.5.63 doesn't help. The only solution appears to be to downgrade the firmware quite a long way - though I don't know exactly which is the last firmware that doesn't have the problem (I wonder if it's the ANT+ FEC code that's caused it).

Probably worth emailing Wahoo support to let them know you have the issue too as I get the impression it's not a high-ranking issue for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks; looks like I'm headed for 1.3.32. I suspected I'd need to revert, just wanted to do so before beginning today's workout.

Trying to avoid another workout file with so many power drops that it appears to be melting.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As there had been a couple of firmware updates I asked Wahoo if there was any news on this issue:

Quote:
Thank you for the follow up. It appears that the developers are still working on this particular experience with Garmin.

We still wait. Frustrating!
If anyone with this issue hasn't emailed Wahoo about it, please do - I think they're more focussed on direct connections to Zwift etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wahoo lists a fix, which sounds like this 100s drop issue, in the "New Kickr Firmware Updates":
Quote:
New KICKR v3.3.53 - 29 March 2017

Improved optical tick (how KICKR measures the speed of the flywheel) detection. This fixes speed and power drop outs at higher speeds for a small number of affected devices.
No mention in the "[Old] Kickr Firmware Updates" though :'(.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
http://blog.lifepattern.org/
Grand Canyon CF SLX 9.9 2013
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [zimage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wahoo suggestion to my support request is:

Quote:
Let's try downgrading your firmware to the previous firmware 1.4.47, performing a spindown, and reverting back to 1.5.63.

Still haven't tried.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zimage wrote:
Wahoo suggestion to my support request is:

Quote:
Let's try downgrading your firmware to the previous firmware 1.4.47, performing a spindown, and reverting back to 1.5.63.

Which didn't fix the problem for me. Then Wahoo rep. reply was:

Quote:
So you have a garmin watch paired to the KICKR while the KICKR is paired to an app? If this is the case, this is your issue. The KICKR is only meant to pair to one reading device at a time. It is not meant to be paired to a cycling computer and an app at the same time.
:-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am frustrated by the same issue using old Kickr running latest firmware, connected to Zwift and my Garmin 935. Zwift reports no issue or power dropouts, but my Garmin drops every 90-100 seconds. Something is causing interference and even my cadence drops at the same time.

I tried all the normal stuff: extension cable, limit bluetooth devices, use 5GHz wifi, etc.

Has anyone found a solution around this? I will test with only my Garmin and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [ShaneC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a quick update as it's been a few months and I'm still talking to Wahoo support about this.

If you have this issue and haven't contacted Wahoo, please do so as I get the distinct impression they don't really think it's important.

After literally weeks going back and forth, the latest recommended "fix" is to downgrade the firmware to 1.3.32. Personally I don't think that's a great idea when this is a problem they've introduced in more recent firmwares, although it will work. However you'll lose the various other improvements they've made in the more recent firmwares.

Please keep hassling Wahoo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latest update from Wahoo:

Quote:
1.5.68 is the newest. If that is not working for you, 1.3.32 is the best alternative in the meantime. Our engineers are currently working on a newer version that should fix these issues, but I do not have an ETA at this time.

The engineers have apparently been "working on this" for at least 8 months now - I wouldn't be holding my breath for a fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I get the distinct impression they don't really think it's important.

I'm in the market for a smart trainer, and there is no way I'd get a KICKR (at least, an original KICKR) as I've been spooked by the numerous power-related threads I've seen here.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Quote:
I get the distinct impression they don't really think it's important.

I'm in the market for a smart trainer, and there is no way I'd get a KICKR (at least, an original KICKR) as I've been spooked by the numerous power-related threads I've seen here.
I can tell you first hand the Hammer has issues as well. And so does the Neo from what I read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is an old thread but I just started riding my original Kickr again with my Garmin Edge 800 - I still get regular ANT+ dropouts -

Did anyone ever get this resolved?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is just a fact of life. I gave up trying to solve it. I'm hoping when my computer dies and I replace it, that it may fix the problem. I've tried all the recommended steps. Networking, wifi channel, extention cable, and others. Finally just decided to live with it. Sucks when racing, but... Strangely I don't seem to have the same problem running on a treadmill with footpod. (So could be kicker itself)

If anyone has any ideas, please let me now. The computer is a 7+ YO laptop with Intel I7, 6GB of RAM, and integrated Intel Graphics card. I know the graphics card sucks and the game does chew up my CPU, so figure maybe while paging I get occasional drop. I think I could almost point out 9 out of time times when it is going to drop before it actually does. Seems to be in busy areas (when passing people going uphill. Increased processing and graphics. I think that is related... But guessing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've noticed that I get Ant+ dropouts from my trainer when I Chromecast on my 2.4ghz wifi but it goes away when I move to 5ghz. Since ant+ broadcasts on 2.4ghz you can run into tons of different interferences in your house.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My computer is not even connected to the Kickr.

I get the drops on my Garmin Edge 800 while running the Kickr from an android tablet via bluetooth - the tablet does not show the drops.
Quote Reply

Prev Next