Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 945 Altimeter Failure
Quote | Reply
Just a data point. My 1 year old Garmin 945's altimeter crapped the bed last week. It quit working after a salt water open water swim. I have used it extensively in pool swims and other salt water OWS before. I wore it in a chlorine pool, and soaked it for a day to try to clear it up. No love. 15 minute call with Garmin and I have a replacement in the mail already.

Just recording the data point for posterity. I was hoping that they had somehow solved the altimeter problems with the 945, but not this one at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 945 Altimeter Failure [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just had the same issue with my 935. I think it stopped working last winter but I just took forever to do anything about it. Well out of warranty but Garmin replaced it anyway no questions asked. Rather not have the issue in the first place of course but can't really beat the customer service.

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 945 Altimeter Failure [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
Just had the same issue with my 935.

Just like you, the altimeter in my 935 has died...twice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine died a couple of years ago and I've just lived with it ever since. I'm hoping to get a new watch in the next few months. I'm looking forward to not running at 50,000 all the time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same exact issue with my 945. Altimeter failed inside of 1 year but they were able to send me out a replacement. They claimed it was from use with swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 945 Altimeter Failure [mtomchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtomchan wrote:
I had the same exact issue with my 945. Altimeter failed inside of 1 year but they were able to send me out a replacement. They claimed it was from use with swimming.

You can see the advertisement now.
"Garmin. THE best Ironman watch for all those swim-cancelled races."
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 945 Altimeter Failure [mtomchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtomchan wrote:

yeah, the triathlon watch that you can't swim in!
interestingly, my 935 (the 2nd one after the 1st suffered this fate) failed shortly before lockdown. a month or so out of the pool and it worked again. back swimming regularly for 2 months now and still working. it was officially a dead barometer according to the garmin diagnostics that i know about from my first one so it seems it is true that it is an issue with water clogging the barometer port
i imagine the refurbished unit they sent me to replace the first one was someone else's post-swimming failure which just needed a break
Quote Reply