Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 935 no longer recording elevation
Quote | Reply
Anyone one else had this happen?

Was working fine and then sometime in the last few weeks it just stopped. GPS is working. The only reason I noticed is because Strava stopped showing me grade adjusted pace. I initially thought it might be a Strava problem but I went back and checked Training Peaks and there is no elevation there either. I haven't changed any settings. The garmin knowledge base was pretty useless for finding a solution.

Anyone have any ideas?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/773280
http://imroycer81.blogspot.com/
teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 no longer recording elevation [IM_Roycer81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you try a hard reset?

I’ve found the frequent updates they’ve been releasing scrambles its brain. After this last update my heart rate was all wonky. Turning it off seems to help.

Hold the power down for 15sec and that’s a hard reset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sent one back already because the elevation and temp were not accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you happen to swim with the watch in the past few weeks?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 no longer recording elevation [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

3x a week indoors... why?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/773280
http://imroycer81.blogspot.com/
teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds software related, but just in case it’s hardeare: trybrunning some warm water over the sensor.

Mine got caked over with salt and it gave wonky readings for a few weeks. Then I cleaned it and it reads properly now.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warm soapy bath.
If that doesn't work - hard reset.
If that doesn't work, call Garmin. Those will be the first things they ask you to do anyway.

(BTW, calling Garmin is WAY more efficient than email. You will get some sort of resolution in less than 15 minutes rather than bouncing notes back and forth for a week.)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 no longer recording elevation [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^Right. Try washing out the sensor with warm water. It's why I asked about swimming. The barometric altimeter sensor is probably gunked up.

Sure you can try hard reset. But IME dead altimeter in garmins is almost always that sensor (hardware problem, and not fixable by resetting). A waterproof device measuring atmo pressure is a tricky engineering problem. It's why they fail so often.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 no longer recording elevation [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to hijack, but I'm also having an elevation issue with my Fenix 5. Got it about 3 weeks ago. The altimeter reading always seems to be off. Sometimes by a couple hundred. Sometimes by 500--says 1000 when it's actually 500. When I calibrate with GPS it seems to be good for awhile. But then it's off again.

And to be clear I'm not at any type of high elevation. I'm in Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the club. Run a search here on ST about this and you'll find that this isn't really that uncommon. IIRC, Garmin fix was a refurbished watch as once the sensor dies, it's dead. For me, I just got used to not having the elevation info in my TP account for running. All other function still work great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM_Roycer81 wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

If you swim with it, the elevation will eventually die. Even just pool swims.I had to send mine back after 5 months. Since it was less than a year, they sent me a brand new one, and then I sent mine back.

I was hoping the 935 would be better, but I guess it's just the way they do the altimeter.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the 935 is behaving like the 910 always did? Great. At least the 920 seems to have been much better behaved about that. I had three or four replacement 910 for baro issues. At least Garmin is very good about replacing them when they fail and with the pre-ship option, you get it quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 no longer recording elevation [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
So the 935 is behaving like the 910 always did? Great. At least the 920 seems to have been much better behaved about that.

I had to send my 920 back. It was over a year old, so I sent it to them, they refurbished it, and sent it back to me. It was a little less than 2 weeks. I do know someone else who sent their 920 back 4 times.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 no longer recording elevation [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My altimeter also just broke, about 15 months into owning it from brand new.
I contacted support, and thru chat they had me run some test, and from that they verified the sensor was broken.
And even thought it was out of warranty, they replaced it for free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM_Roycer81 wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

The chlorine will kill the altimeter and temp sensor. I had 6-935’s in about 10 months. Now I have a 945 and I don’t swim with in in the pool anymore. Curious to see how long this on will last. Technology can be very frustrating.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 no longer recording elevation [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got my 935 replaced by Garmin. They had me check the temp and altimeter in test mode:

This is how you get to diagnostic mode
Switch off the watch
Hold Down
Whilst holding down, power up the watch with a prolonged press of the light button
Keep Down held whilst Garmin is displayed.
Eventually you get a nice diagnostic mode

When you cycle through the screens, you'll see blanks or weird numbers for temperature and elevation, and then you'll know the sensor is broken. If your watch is less than 12 months, it's still in warranty. If it's over 12 months, then sometimes they'll still cover it.
Quote Reply