Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 920xt pace issues?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone seen issues with Garmin 920xt run pacing lately? I and another colleague have started to see some real discrepancies recently. 8 minute miles for 4 miles, but the pace on the watch is showing 12:40. He had a similar problem with with the pace showing faster than he was running, in both cases the pace display didn't change even when the running pace did.

Is this a new thing? Or a known problem (I tried searching the forum, but couldn't narrow down enough to find a good result)? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt pace issues? [island rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a footpod, or are you using the watch internal acceleration sensors? If you don't have a footpod then the pace is VERY sensitive to how you swing your arms. More for/aft swing = faster. More side/side = slower. GPS is also pretty variable and suspect. Moving in/out of tree cover, etc can dramatically affect instantaneous pace.

Get a footpod if you don't have one. Configure the watch to always use footpod for pace (ignore GPS).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt pace issues? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Do you have a footpod, or are you using the watch internal acceleration sensors? If you don't have a footpod then the pace is VERY sensitive to how you swing your arms. More for/aft swing = faster. More side/side = slower. GPS is also pretty variable and suspect. Moving in/out of tree cover, etc can dramatically affect instantaneous pace.

Get a footpod if you don't have one. Configure the watch to always use footpod for pace (ignore GPS).

Interesting, I thought the GPS was the only determining factor for the pace. Shows what I know. I'm not sure this is arm-swing based though, since it held 12:40 per mile steadily over a 4 mile run where my pace was ranging from 7:30 to 9:00 based on the post-run data. I'll look into the footpod.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is based on GPS. For outside run anyways
Last edited by: Quinny98: Jun 26, 18 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both the GPS and the internal sensors kinda suck at pacing. The watch will prefer GPS, but if the signal gets poor it will switch to the internal sensors.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...-everything-you.html

and/or...

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...cs_Mailbag_1844.html

They run about $45 at most places in the US (Amazon, Wally world, best buy, etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've not experienced that issue. I'd definitely contact Garmin customer support. They've been very helpful for a variety of issues that I've had over the years.
The only time I notice that my real-time pace and displayed pace don't match up is for several seconds after beginning from a dead stop. It's a little unusual, because the "average pace" reflects my real-time pace (if at the beginning of a run) but the "pace" is always much slower. Definitely call Garmin.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The foot pods are great, particularly for treadmill days, but if you configure pace via foot pod for your outdoor sessions, does the watch still collect the GPS data?

Tom_hampton wrote:

Last edited by: domingjm: Jun 26, 18 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt pace issues? [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
The foot pods are great, particularly for treadmill days, but if you configure pace via foot pod for your outdoor sessions, does the watch still collect the GPS data?

Yes, as long as you don't actually turn off the GPS. My 920xt is configured to prefer footpod for pace. Everything else still comes from GPS: distance, GPS track, etc. I get all the GPS data and better instantaneous pace from the footpod.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. Thanks. The only time I have problems is when I'm boxed in by buildings downtown or with a lot of tree cover.

Tom_hampton wrote:
domingjm wrote:

Yes, as long as you don't actually turn off the GPS. My 920xt is configured to prefer footpod for pace. Everything else still comes from GPS: distance, GPS track, etc. I get all the GPS data and better instantaneous pace from the footpod.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always have issue with my 920xt but I am surrounded by tall buildings, overpasses and bridges for a good portion of all of my runs near where I live. I just ignore it and then take my end pace with a grain of salt. When I travel and get to run in more open spaces I feel like it is more accurate.

I should start using my Garmin footpod as well - I only use it for Zwift but I bet it would help with running pace outdoors.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt pace issues? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
I always have issue with my 920xt but I am surrounded by tall buildings, overpasses and bridges for a good portion of all of my runs near where I live. I just ignore it and then take my end pace with a grain of salt. When I travel and get to run in more open spaces I feel like it is more accurate.

I should start using my Garmin footpod as well - I only use it for Zwift but I bet it would help with running pace outdoors.

Mine is ALWAYS strapped to my shoes, because its too much trouble to take it off and remember to put it on. I frequently where my running shoes to work (they are solid black...not those goofy neon colors), and I typically change the battery every 9 months or so. My 920 tells me when it starts to get low---I've run on it for a week after getting the notification....so, there's no "rush" to change it immediately.

I can't come up with a reason to ever take it off my shoes. I've seriously considered getting a second one, for my other active pair of shoes...just so I don't have to bother switching the pod over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

I can't come up with a reason to ever take it off my shoes. I've seriously considered getting a second one, for my other active pair of shoes...just so I don't have to bother switching the pod over.

Yea, that's my issue - I rotate through 2 pairs of shoes (also a recent discussion topic), so I am always turned off by having to move the pod. But it may be worth another $50 to not have to do that ever again. Life is hard.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt pace issues? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:

Yea, that's my issue - I rotate through 2 pairs of shoes (also a recent discussion topic), so I am always turned off by having to move the pod. But it may be worth another $50 to not have to do that ever again. Life is hard.[/quote]

Don't I know it...might be considered a first world problem, though.

Quote:

OMG, I'm so tired of having to switch my $50 footpod between my two $150 pairs of running shoes, so that I can get accurate running pace information on my $250 GPS watch.

:-)
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 26, 18 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, that should have been in pink... definitely a first world problem

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How have you configured it for pace only on an outside run? Do you use it without GPS i.e. indoor run setting for an outside run. I understood it was set to record via GPS for outside runs unless it loses signal then it would switch to foot pod.

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt pace issues? [mooseknuckle69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mooseknuckle69 wrote:
How have you configured it for pace only on an outside run? Do you use it without GPS i.e. indoor run setting for an outside run. I understood it was set to record via GPS for outside runs unless it loses signal then it would switch to foot pod.

Settings -> Sensors and Accessories -> FP - xxxxx -> Use as Speed source -> ALWAYS

Yes, that is how it works by default. However, GPS speed can be a little goofy in some situations. It can also be slow to respond to changes in pace. So, I changed the setting above about a year ago.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 26, 18 14:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome - thanks so much!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any tips for replacement of the Garmin footpod battery?? seems to be quite difficult to get the battery out of its compartment.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt pace issues? [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
Any tips for replacement of the Garmin footpod battery?? seems to be quite difficult to get the battery out of its compartment.

I agree its a pain. I'd probably care more if I had to do it every month.

Not really. I just bang it at an angle onto a table until it jars loose---3 or 4 tries. I think I'm on battery number 3 or 4...maybe its getting easier over time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are three cases where my 920xt has inaccurate pacing: (1) on a track. Sometime's it's accurate, but it can be 3 or 4 percent high on the distance; (2) shortly after I make a left, right, or u turn in the road; and (3) in tall trees, especially if they're wet. It seems like (2) and (3) are temporary pacing issues only, with overall accurate distance. (On the track I do take into account correct lap length. I usually run in the second lane.)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt pace issues? [xpda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had 910/920/Fenix 5/Vivoactive and they're all the same, instant pace jumps around a lot. It seems to be accurate 60-70% of the time. I use it as a rough guide, I have my data screens set to lap av pace, overall av pace and instant pace and laps set to 500m during a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt pace issues? [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a very very very tiny (mm) silver metal tab that you get a fingernail underneath and pull and it will pop out the battery.
Quote Reply