Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [Biff Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Biff Carbon wrote:
...Always watching the alternatives to see if someone makes a move...

Completely agree here, but so far I've been mostly at a loss. I've had several models of Garmin's devices from the 305 through the 910xt (including the Edge series) and am not sure that any of the devices were "solid" from a bug perspective. The 305 probably had the least software issues, although I bought it once it was in maturity. Still it had battery, charger, and piezo problems.

Since then I've had HW and SW problems on my 310xt (3-4 warranty exchanges), a charging issue with my 610, dead pixels and SW growing pains on my Edge 800...

The 910xt, for me, has been mixed, with the issues seemingly software related thus far. The barometer has improved with the newer software, at least to not be ridiculous in my flat portion of the country. Courses initially crashed the device, this is fixed, but the overall course function is still poor. My ANT+ reception to my PowerTap suffers when worn on my right wrist... probably the biggest issue I have now and it is likely a hardware problem.

Either way I am also still interested in seeing other, improved competition. It does seem like the only way we can hope for improved products in the market.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Not fixed. Now I'm frustrated. First I lose my Alcatraz data, now I have no elevation on a fantastic ride while on vacation in Maui. I used the multi-sport feature to record an OWS swim yesterday, then hit lap to simulate a bike / run on the walk back home. Seemed to be working. Then got this after my ride today:

That's an epic ride, but I'm impressed with your ability to ride straight in the water!

I'm very content with my 4 yr old 305 that keeps on truckin' - paired with a 500 on the bike, it gets the job done.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Raced for the first time with my Garmin 910 at Alcatraz this weekend. I have a good GPS track for the swim (or at least a good reading of a bad swim track), then nothing for the bike or run. The watch recorded each segment, including my speed, but did not record a GPS track or distance. My first thought was that I must have lost the satellite connection. If that is the case, how did it log my speed? Was this user error? I was in Auto Multisport, excluded transitions, and hit "Lap" at each segment.

Just had this same thing happen to me this weekend on my first race of the year. I wish I would've seen this thread beforehand, I wouldn't have used the multisport mode. Has anyone tried just using the OWS mode then switching it to bike mode and having problems with it still?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [bbrisket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar issues and now I've had to wipe all data twice. My recent half Mary PR is lost to eternity . . . But now it's working again.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry guys. The good news is that Garmin replaced my unit, and the replacement is working. Garmin is aware of the issue, and those with problems should contact Garmin. They really need to fix this glitch.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Sorry guys. The good news is that Garmin replaced my unit, and the replacement is working. Garmin is aware of the issue, and those with problems should contact Garmin. They really need to fix this glitch.

Scott

Is the new unit working on 2.7 ? I've read that some folks have gotten replacements on 2.7 that had the problem.

I'm just this guy ya know?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [blanco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Just one test so far. Pool swim in Multi sport mode (set to open water), followed by locker room "transition" and a "bike" and "run" on the drive to the office. All readings functioned.

I plan to continue testing up through my next race, ideally with some true OWS. Just need warm(er) water. I will update this thread if it fails a test.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Yep. Just one test so far. Pool swim in Multi sport mode (set to open water), followed by locker room "transition" and a "bike" and "run" on the drive to the office. All readings functioned.

I plan to continue testing up through my next race, ideally with some true OWS. Just need warm(er) water. I will update this thread if it fails a test.

Scott

Most of the people have issues with OWS multisport. I'm going to try that out this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I was "open water multi sport", but in a pool.

I agree a true OWS would be a better test and will get out there soon.

Good product, but frustrating to need these measures.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the master reset about a month ago and it didn't cure the OWS multisport problem for me. I'm running 2.7 (again). I also had problems with just OWS (not in multisport) where the watch would beep/vibrate after 15-30 minutes because it lost gps signal. This was in the middle of swimming...not while treading water or while the watch was submerged for a significant period of time.

Then I realized I don't care about OWS gps data, so I tried using the multisport version starting with a pool swim. I figured there is no way for the 910 to drop gps and elevation data if it never was looking for it to begin with. Ended up working fine. I got my swim time, then the GPS transitioned to the bike and run with gps data.

After my A race HIM, I may look into actually fixing the problem or getting the unit replaced, but as for now, it works just fine for what I need it to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just chiming in.
First tri of the season was last weekend.

Running 2.7 on my 910 and had no issues with multi sport and open water swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin has posted an official response to the issue: http://forums.garmin.com/...ps-Tracking-Location

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! You were right all along! YTM.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The worst part was Garmin telling everyone with the problem that it is not possible to downgrade a unit back to 2.6. Now all of the sudden, they're offering it as a solution.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine worked fine for an Oly race this weekend except for power data from my Stages PM. I have had the problem that if I am in aero and the watch is on top of my arm (palm down on the extension) it loses connection to the PM. I am blaming that on the Stages at this point. I can't believe that the little bit of aluminum in the handle bars would disrupt the ANT+ signal but it seems to.

Now post race it is all over the place with distance. I start out on a run and it starts racking up distance faster than I am actually going. I suppose from an ego perspective that is fine but not from a useful information perspective.

All this technology is harshing my exercise mellow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blanco wrote:
The worst part was Garmin telling everyone with the problem that it is not possible to downgrade a unit back to 2.6. Now all of the sudden, they're offering it as a solution.

Well, I raced this weekend and experienced failure #2. The puts me at 0-2 on racing with the Garmin. Apparently the replacement watch was not a solution.

I read your post before the race, but was reluctant to make changes right before race day. And the watch had been working in tests of Multisport mode. Lesson learned.

Today I followed your instructions and "upgraded" to 2.6. Quite simple really, and I suck at computers. Now I will sit back and wait to see how long Garmin takes to release their permanent fix.

Thanks for your help, and keep up the good work.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [ironpsych] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 3 year old 305 has about had it and its threads like these every 2 weeks here which lead me to deciding to get the 310xt instead of the 901.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If people want Garmin to fix these issues, there is one simple answer... Blow up their facebook page with comments. Send emails to their social support and executives. It is obvious that the management team that is working on the software side doesn't care, but the more public and loud people are about this, the faster things get fixed...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone.............E-MAIL GARMIN................ social.support@garmin.com.

Ask for.....and they will send you the version 2.6 files and instructions to roll back the system......as system 2.7 IS FAULTY

Make a note of all settings/data fields first...as this roll back will wipe all back to factory standard. It took me around 20 mins to put on the 2.6 system........and 15 minutes to re- configure all settings.

Well worth it....until they fix the problem............now i have my old working watch back.

Cheers....

Rudy
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [mistergomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with the 910XT - and down graded to 2.6 before my first tri with it and it worked fine.
will use it again in race this weekend - other than that have used it for each sport no problems
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin has posted a firmware update to v2.8 that they claim fixes the bug :
Today Garmin released a software update to correct the issue described below. Please click here in order to view instructions on how to install this latest software to your device. We appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience that this issue has caused.

Quote Reply

Prev Next