Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 530 - Training Status and HR adjustments
Quote | Reply
I had for a while now noted that my Edge 530 would report post ride (most being ~1.5hr / 280NP types) that my anaerobic scores were 0.0, with all being aerobic. Based on the rides this clearly wasn't true. I was pretty sure that I had input indicative Max HR (based on max's achieved in the field on any given day and adding a couple of beats to reflect that I'd never truly been going all out).

Anyway so I went into Garmin Connect and noted that somehow my Max was in there as 213 (I'm 46, have been doing a lot of riding this year, consistently and deem my bike fitness to be close to as good as it's ever been). Anyway so I reset my max to 188 (I'd seen a handful of numbers over 180, but generally short, hard climbs might reach more mid 170's. The anaerobic scores suddenly came to life but seem to have gone too far. As an example here are the numbers for the same river loop (small group) ride I did either side of the adjustment, which was made on the weekend. Before was last Tuesday, After was today (Tuesday)

Before After
Distance 50km 50km
Duration 1:27:12 1:28:44
Avg Power 230 w 227 w
NP 277 w 280 w
Avg HR 150 bpm 144 bpm
Max HR 183 bpm 174 bpm
Calories 1207 kJ 1210 kJ
Aerobic Score 3.0 4.0
Anaerobic Score 0.0 3.4
Exercise Load 71 263
Training Benefit Tempo Sprint
Max HR Set 213 188
Training Status Productive Unproductive
VO2 65 62

I'm not really a slave to these numbers but it would be nice to have something that is somewhat representative of reality.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 530 - Training Status and HR adjustments [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No surprises there. The VO2Max algorithm looks at HR as a % of max HR, and compares it to power. With a lower HR Max, it thinks you are working at a higher % of MaxHR.

So where it thought you were cruising at 150/213 = 70%, now it thinks you have to work at 144/188 = 76% for about the same NP.

With a drop in estimated VO2Max, it reports an Unproductive status. Although the 65 VO2Max was an overestimate based on the incorrect HRMax.

Probably the 213 was just a HR measurement spike, but with HR autodetect on, it has taken that as your new max.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 530 - Training Status and HR adjustments [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I get the relative effort aspect of it, but query the magnitude of the feedback I've been getting since the adjustment. I have removed the auto-detect max. I'm pretty comfortable with the manually entered max, having done numerous laboratory controlled tests in the past and knowing the bike is never going to be above 190.

I'm curious though whether the feedback received will settle down fairly quickly or not? I have been doing this level of intensity most of the year. Though I often experience heavier legs, I am pretty sure that had it truly been unproductive/overreaching all that time I would have fallen into a molten mess long ago.
Quote Reply