Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin 520
Quote | Reply
Who is ordering the new 520?

I have a 810 I have never been completely happy with. I am thinking about giving the 520 a try.

https://buy.garmin.com/...-520/prod166370.html
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [metcalf34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am interested in it. Have an 800 and interested in wireless syncing and the real time strava segments. Also, like the small size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Figures, with the introduction of the 520, Garmin no longer markets the 510.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Live Strava Segments may be a hazard to some peoples health!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
metcalf34 wrote:
Who is ordering the new 520?
I have a 810 I have never been completely happy with. I am thinking about giving the 520 a try.

https://buy.garmin.com/...-520/prod166370.html

What don't you like about the 810?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [JoshR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like my 810 too although I don't use the maps as much as I thought I would. I do like the giant display.

I saw the new 520 advertised at Performancebike.com and thought I would have seen it here first.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I like my 810 too although I don't use the maps as much as I thought I would. I do like the giant display.

I saw the new 520 advertised at Performancebike.com and thought I would have seen it here first.

jaretj

My 810 has had navigation issues on several rides. It just wasn't a big step up from the 800 for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want one!
I am definitely interested in the segment features as well as being able to follow a bread crumb trail. The integration with the radar thing ...interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DC Rainmaker's review: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...garmin-edge-520.html

I like the live Strava segment thing, but it does seems like it's going to be the cause of some accidents.

I also thought it could get a little annoying when there are multiple segments on a popular climb, but then I just don't know how it actually works - maybe it will ignore all others while currently riding one?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I have read, the segments are only live if they are 'starred', and you are a strava premium member. I think I recall this from Garmin website.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [SpeedNeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True you will have to be a premium member to use it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears they are going to upgrade the 810 via firmware to also have the Strava. So Ill keep my 810 for now.
I do wish the maps were a little better. It does not go into enough detail and is missing a number of roads in the Colorado foothills/mountains.

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is the release date?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpeedNeeder wrote:
From what I have read, the segments are only live if they are 'starred', and you are a strava premium member. I think I recall this from Garmin website.

From the Strava website: "Note: Live Segments will only display for Strava Premium athletes."

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just placed my order with Clever Training(to help support dcrainmaker's awesome reviews).

I will have an 810 for sale at the end of the month!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [abbottj123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abbottj123 wrote:
It appears they are going to upgrade the 810 via firmware to also have the Strava. So Ill keep my 810 for now.
I do wish the maps were a little better. It does not go into enough detail and is missing a number of roads in the Colorado foothills/mountains.

Where did you read this?

On DCR's article, he mentioned that it will not support Connect IQ. Is that a forever condition, or just at launch?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was in the slowtwitch article.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Electronics/Garmin_Strava_Wahoo_push_forward_5173.html
he Edge 520 will be available for pre-order on the Strava Shop July 1, 2015, for $299 or $399 bundled with heart rate monitor, cadence sensor and speed sensor. Not to fret, those of you with the Edge 1000, 810, and 510, will see a firmware update in Q3 with the same features. These additions to the Garmin Edge line of bike computers is a smart move by both Garmin and Strava, and may have other manufacturers playing catch-up.

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was sold on this as soon as I read it won't have a touch screen. Bluetooth uploads would be nice too. I've got the 920 and I like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kudos to garmin for dropping the touch screen. I literally hate the touchscreen in my 510.

I am also curious if the 520 screen is a larger version of the 920xt screen which has much better color/contrast than the 510 color screen.

Live strava segments. Another silly feature.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Live Strava segments FTW!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I have read, you can choose what the live strava segment shows - KOM, your friends, OR YOUR BEST TIME.
Sounds very cool to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might upgrade from my 500. It isn't the Strava stuff that would push me over the edge but the GLONASS. I like accuracy. The 510 wasn't enough of an improvement over the 500 to get me to spend my money but this might be
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3 on dropping the touch screen.

I couldn't care less about the strava segments. I do like the smaller overall profile, 5 more hours of battery life (claimed), and the improved color contrast. I don't need maps where I live, but it would be nice on the rare occasions I travel. The text notifications can come in handy when I'm commuting.

I would probably order one right now and sell my 510, but I've learned that while Garmin usually gets it right eventually, their initial release can be pretty frustrating.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not moving from my 810, I like the touch screen, I like the SD Card and the navigation.

Never let me down.

Waiting for the 820 (slimmer / lighter please) with FE-C and hopefully ConnectIQ.

Glad the strava stuff is coming to the 810.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Last edited by: P90Puma: Jul 2, 15 19:31
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
I do like the smaller overall profile, 5 more hours of battery life (claimed), and the improved color contrast.
5 more hours than what? I thought it had a shorter operating life than the 500 and 510. Still, at 15 hrs will never be an issue for me. Hoping the display has better readability than my 800. I'll get one this year. I'm assuming they will use the same software base as the 810 and 1000 so should hopefully have fewer teething problems.
Quote Reply

Prev Next