Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 520 Edge on a TT bike
Quote | Reply
Riding a Specialized Shiv and looking to add a 520 Edge, but am trying to figure out mounting options. Was thinking I could mount it to an aero bar during training rides assuming that I can turn the unit 90 degrees, but during races I'm going to utilize a XLab Torpedo so that will take up all that room. Will a 520 mount to a Torpedo? I know my Garmin 920 can, but I'm getting old and the metrics off my watch are getting harder to read..... :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 Edge on a TT bike [sharkd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The XLab Torpedo Versa 200 & Versa 500 have a built-in out-front Garmin mount. It is freakin' awesome. I had one for a couple years and absolutely loved it. My current cockpit is incompatible with the Versa configuration. So, I still use the Torpedo bottle & cage, and another forum member helped design an out-front adapter for my 520.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Alpha X bars which have a bottle mount location that is a little farther back than after market options, so my torpedo bottle is far enough back that a typical mount to the extensions still works.

On my previous bike, I had the PD HC BTA bottle system and did not have room in front of the bottle. The HC has a spot behind the bottle but it's too far back. So I took the little quarter turn mount and attached it to the top of the bottle. The out front mount from my road bike had the ability to pull the insert out after removing two machine screws. This allowed you to change the direction of the mount. I just bought longer machine screws and nuts and drilled two tiny holes and screwed it to the bottle (the HC bottle had easy access to the inside to make this attachment. Very cheap and worked very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 520 on a Shiv. I bought the 1/8 turn TT mount. Then unit is mounted on the aero bar, right behind my hands. This lets me keep my eyes on the road. With the XLAB Torpedo, I was looking down too much. While that's probably faster, I just didn't feel safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As noted versa mount puts the 520 right out in front of the bottle in the line of sight. Works great (you do have to turn the mount 90 degrees from how it holds a 920 to hold the 520 in the correct orientation)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 Edge on a TT bike [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
As noted versa mount puts the 520 right out in front of the bottle in the line of sight. Works great (you do have to turn the mount 90 degrees from how it holds a 920 to hold the 520 in the correct orientation)

Do you have to use the torpedo bottle with the versa mount? I also ride a shiv and was looking for a BTA solution that had my Edge 500 out front a little further rather than on the cage/bottle itself, but was worried I wouldn’t be able to pull out a regular water bottle without hitting the head unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 Edge on a TT bike [ballisticpb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, you can use a regular bottle too (even the larger ones). I often do for hilly rides where bending to the straw is not convenient. there is also a fore/aft adjustment of the computer mount so you can push it out pretty far.
Quote Reply