Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
ddave wrote:
Muh wrote:
??? My 310xt does heart rate... And has all along.

It has a strap and displays numbers next to the letters HR - but it doesn't measure heart rate accurately.

I believe it's the "soft strap" that comes with the 310XT bundle that's the problem. Mine worked for almost a year, but now seems to be way off high. I paired the strap from my FR305 (not a "soft strap) to my 310XT, and it works just fine. Kind of a bummer, since the "soft strap" is a bit more comfortable.

Soft and hard are problematic. hard is less problematic but still off.

A soft centre stuck in a polar strap is much better though
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried replacing the batteries? That can help w/ something that relies on them.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 310Xt is accurate if you dump the Garmin soft strap, and attach the ANT+ HR transmitter to a POLAR 'Wearlink +' Transmitter strap for about $17 from Amazon...see dcrainmakers review of this option.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [Hairy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hairy Legs wrote:
The 310Xt is accurate if you dump the Garmin soft strap, and attach the ANT+ HR transmitter to a POLAR 'Wearlink +' Transmitter strap for about $17 from Amazon...see dcrainmakers review of this option.

I've been doing this for the last 9-10 months, works alright but a damning reflection on Garmin. If only there was a watch that did speed and HR out of the box (and worked as a power head unit)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late to this, but FWIW I updated to 3.00 when it first came out and haven't had any problems (although, cough, I haven't been riding much). It looks like there have been two minor bugfix releases since then (3.10 and 3.20) but I didn't bother installing those.

In terms of comparing with another unit, the 3s & 30s is purely a realtime display thing (i.e. it doesn't affect recording at all) so it would be hard to do a true comparison, but to eyeball it it seems to do a good job.

Previously, I had my screen configured for Power (which obviously jumps around a lot) and Lap Power (which was very stable depending on the lap length) - I now have 3s (30s is a bit long for my liking) and Lap Power and I like that combination for a fairly smoothed "short term" view as well as the "long term" lap view.

I also haven't heard of or read of any major problems so I'd go for it if you haven't already.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read that review of the Polar and bought one - It doesn't work for junk in the desert southwest. It is to dry here to work correctly and ironically I have went back to the Garmin one and it has been working just fine.

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT - now with 3s and 30s rolling average power [charris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charris wrote:
In terms of comparing with another unit, the 3s & 30s is purely a realtime display thing (i.e. it doesn't affect recording at all) so it would be hard to do a true comparison, but to eyeball it it seems to do a good job.

Previously, I had my screen configured for Power (which obviously jumps around a lot) and Lap Power (which was very stable depending on the lap length) - I now have 3s (30s is a bit long for my liking) and Lap Power and I like that combination for a fairly smoothed "short term" view as well as the "long term" lap view.

I'll probably download the update this evening. And, I plan to configure my display similarly.

JOOC, have you done any testing to determine if the "average" is a rolling average (ie. it recalculates for the last 3s or 30s each time a new data point is taken - every second, I believe) or if it simply starts a new average every 3s or 30s (similar to Lap Average where each lap would be 3s or 30s)?

It would (obviously) be most useful if it were the former. But, this is Garmin we're talking about...

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply

Prev Next