Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin/Firstbeat Training Status Usage
Quote | Reply
I use a Garmin 935. I use it for all my runs pair with the running HR strap for the running dynamics information. For the bike, I have it paired with a P2M PM for my tri bike. I do not have a PM on my road bike, which I use for approximately 40% of my bike training load.

I watched the videos and read the write-ups I've seen online about how this is calculated, but it seems there are many anomalies. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just looking for more insight.

One of the obvious factors is weather conditions. On a recent 10 day trip, I completed runs in temps that are about 20 degrees cooler than what I train in in Taipei. TS thought I was a champ in the cool weather and suddenly a lump of coal when I returned to the heat. This I can understand, but I'm wondering why at least temperature (which is recorded by the device) is not factored into the TS. (humidity being a large factor too, but hard to measure for a watch, as well as wind.) I have been back for two weeks training in consistently hot and humid conditions; my speed has increased, HR decreased for the same pace, and my perception is that I'm feeling good with some fatigue as it is a tough section of my training block right now.

More to the point, however is yesterday's data.

My cycling V02 max went from 60 to 62, and my run VO2 max (based on a 20km steady run after the bike) went from 54 to 56. The cycling was a SST long workout on zwift. 2*30 min, 5 min intervals at 93% and 83% FTP, 1*40, same as 30 min intervals. As anyone whose done SST long will say, it's not an easy workout, but it's not all out either. Anyhow, after lifting my VO2 max according to the watch, it lists my training status as unproductive, with my fitness on a downward trend and my load steady.

Is my watch just playing with me? I'd love to understand more about this if anyone can take the time to help me out!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin/Firstbeat Training Status Usage [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don't think it works. For example I have had my fenix 5 list condition as 'fair -4' 1km in to a 10k pb of a short 33. On the cool down when I could barely even shuffle 8min miles and felt utterly broken it said 'good +2'.... How I laughed.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin/Firstbeat Training Status Usage [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine always gives me a negative number 8 minutes into the run. Then it increases as the run goes on.... Every single run. To me it is worthless.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin/Firstbeat Training Status Usage [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a Fenix 5S for about two months and totally agree. When I do my sprints or long runs in the cool Saturday morning air I almost always get a VO2 increase. When I run in the heat, humidity and direct sun of the afternoons I always shift to an unproductive training status with a corresponding decrease in VO2. Obviously my HR is going to be struggling to keep up and I'm going to be running slow on days like that. I've felt great this last week with a decrease in training stress and load after a weekend sprint that saw me beat 2 guys for an AG win that I've been chasing for years. Yet this was done with an unproductive status that hasn't moved in a week and hasn't responded to extra rest or nutrition. Ridic.

I can easily say that most times when I've looked at my watch I've been scratching my head in relation to many of the firstbeat metrics. They just don't seem to be based in reality. It almost comes off as a pure numbers game happening withing the confines of the watch. (And I think that is exactly what is really happening based of the small amount of reading I have done on this firstbeat silliness) I think it's about time to take that screen off my watch.
Quote Reply