Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool...Thank you for posting..

14X Ironman. Still slow but working on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [dcfan40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Youre welcome. :)))

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the rationale for not running a disc wheel this race? It seemed like a handful of the women weren't... Reasons?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
What was the rationale for not running a disc wheel this race? It seemed like a handful of the women weren't... Reasons?

Because it was windy.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [mountain_erin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There were a crapton of us athletes on course and hundreds of spectators lining the streets. The run as a 3 loop course with lots of out and backs was... interesting. 3 runners wide in both directions by some of the turnarounds. Largest crowd I’ve been a part of in 18 months.

Might as well have been a flashback of pre-pandemic 2019 race from a course density, number of athletes and distancing perspective.

On the plus side, the swim start was a bit more orderly and the line was reasonably distanced and we all had kn95 masks they gave to everyone race morning up until right before we entered the water.

Also a bonus, they let us back into transition to get our bikes as soon as we crossed the finish line vs the normal 1:30pm or whatever...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
an observation:

are we witnessing the birth of Lionel Sanders 2.0? obviously it was tough to get the nuances without any video coverage, and even the splits/tracker were confusing as hell to me, but this seems like a pretty dangerous string of race results for lionel. the texas field was good but not great, admittedly, but still: sanders did exactly what he needed to do today. didn't dig a big hole. had a strong swim, a just-strong-enough bike, and then a strong enough run. i think he's look both fitter and smarter this year.

other thoughts:
-i'm not crazy about sam long's 'persona.' i don't wish him ill or anything, and i can see why some people like him, he just comes off too brash for my taste.

-what happened to magnus ditlev? dns?

-was something up with the swim? seems like the splits were slow.

-hanson was only ~10 seconds back of a podium, again - seems to me that as the run distance increases he's becoming one of the most dangerous athletes in the sport.

In response to the line I bolded, let me preface this by saying that I volunteered for this race in the hopes of having a front row seat to the pros and boy were my hopes answered. Had I known that ST was having a "game thread" due to lack of coverage I would've joined in and uploaded the videos and commented I was taking but I was too star struck and "busy" with my volunteer duties as well as having <50% battery life on my phone when the race began. I'll say this, those transitions are fast AF and Lionel is really slim in real life. I got to take a picture with him and I know that I'm not at my fittest right now but holy cow does standing next to Lionel make me look really heavy. If it's giving him the results he wants, all the power to him. I would estimate he's <5% body fat.

As for Big Unit, I'll admit his persona can rub people the wrong way but at the finish line all the dudes are really friendly with each other which is nice to see so I decided to not be so quick to pass judgement on him. I saw a couple of his interviews from the past today and I'm warming up to him. He's a goofball coming into his own

swim.bike.run.soccer
Last edited by: lealsergio: Apr 12, 21 23:00
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [lealsergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe time seems goes by a lot faster when its me going through transition, but watching that, I had the opposite reaction. Those guys seem like they are taking forever at their bikes!

Rack bike (twice if you drop it like lionel), helmet off, shoes on, grab the belt, go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
an observation:

are we witnessing the birth of Lionel Sanders 2.0? obviously it was tough to get the nuances without any video coverage, and even the splits/tracker were confusing as hell to me, but this seems like a pretty dangerous string of race results for lionel. the texas field was good but not great, admittedly, but still: sanders did exactly what he needed to do today. didn't dig a big hole. had a strong swim, a just-strong-enough bike, and then a strong enough run. i think he's look both fitter and smarter this year.

other thoughts:
-i'm not crazy about sam long's 'persona.' i don't wish him ill or anything, and i can see why some people like him, he just comes off too brash for my taste.

-what happened to magnus ditlev? dns?

-was something up with the swim? seems like the splits were slow.

-hanson was only ~10 seconds back of a podium, again - seems to me that as the run distance increases he's becoming one of the most dangerous athletes in the sport.

I hope so.
No more beginner hydration mistakes yet. Two very smart racing decisions, in Miami he know it would be pointless to fry the legs on the bike course due to the technicality of it.
And this weekend he made the correct decision of staying in the pack and not towing them along/ riding all out to get to T2 with dead legs.

Can he start hitting 2nd swim back consistently things look good!
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is Lionel's Post race Thoughts

Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [lealsergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrific job Sergio. You delivered some of what WTC failed to deliver. Thanks for volunteering, too.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply

Prev Next