Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Galilean Society and Flat Earth Society
Quote | Reply
Let's re-start these two societies.

Those that think that PC's might be worth examining will be in the Galilean Society. Those that have never even looked through a telescope, or never even ridden PC's will be in the Flat Earth Society. The Flat Earther's, of course, will vote to excommunicate any Galilean's from the cycling community, and will heretofore refer to the Galilean's as "Blasphemers", and recommend that they be rounded up and punished.

Hmmm, if history tells us anything, it is that sometimes new ideas actually DO work. Then again, Da Vinci's flying machine was a failure at the time.

My point is this: just because you don't understand something, or haven't even tried something, it doesn't mean it isn't without value. Until cyclists are FORCED into using PC's against their will, there's nothing wrong with being part of the cycling group that MAY BE responsible, in part, in writing the new textbooks. Or, like Da Vinci's flying machine, the PC group will one day just be seen as a bunch of kooks.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Galilean Society and Flat Earth Society [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly a good point. I've been in the bike industry long enough to have seen intense resistance to index shifting, dual control brake/shift levers, carbon fiber frames, clipless pedals, etc... If it wasn't for those willing to really try these new-fangled products, we wouldn't be using them right now.

On the other hand, I've seen an astronomical number of ridiculous products hit the market too. And it was a healthy dose of skepticism that prevented many from losing their hard earned dollars on junk.

Those who are the last to accept new ideas, and those who are too quick to accept new ideas make up a very efficient system of checks and balances. It works well in the end. If power cranks end up being the great idea they claim to be, they will make it big in spite of the nay sayers. If they're a fad, they'll be gone soon. Sit back and watch; the system works perfectly.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Announcing the 2nd member of the Galilean Society... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am the founding member, of course. Welcome to the GS, Eric. My name is Ktalon, and I am willing to look at new ideas, evaluate them for myself, and try to go faster on the bike...especially if these new ideas come with a 60 day money back guarantee, because I'm not a fool, even though I am an explorer.

Come on, anybody else? Remember, you don't have to believe that PC's work, you just have to be willing to look in the telescope. I don't know if they work, or if they do...how much benefit I'll end up with, but I'm exploring. You can only get so much from a textbook before you have to venture out to the unknown.

Quote Reply
Re: Galilean Society and Flat Earth Society [not a PCer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

My, aren't we sensitive? AFAIK, no one has referred to PC users as blashemers, or recommended that they be rounded up and punished. All that has been questioned has been the efficacy of the product and the veracity of the marketing claims.

In any case, I think you have your analogy inverted: it is the defenders of PCs (no apostrophe, you'll note) who should likened to the Flat Earthers, as they are the ones who are operating on the basis of faith (as in religon). The Gallileans in this argument are those who question PCs, because they are the only ones whose arguments are consistent with established facts.

You have it backwards. The Flat Earthers were the ones of faith. THe Church preached that the earth was flat. Galileo had the NEW idea that the earth was round.

You think I was being sensitive? Have you ever heard of humor? OR, do they not teach that in your textbooks? Lighten up, Chuckles....it's supposed to be a joke!

Last edited by: ktalon: Mar 2, 03 18:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the earth really was flat then there would be no contraversy about steep being the way to go. (No hills - get it)
Quote Reply
Re: Galilean Society and Flat Earth Society [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
galileo proved the earth rotated around the sun, ala copernicus, so this post should be the copernicans vs. ptolemaics or whatever.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And then there are those of us who don't care whether they work or not.

I'd rather spend $800 on entry fees and travel to and from the races or on coaching fees

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply