Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
GRX 48/31 w 11-36 or 11-40?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had success with a larger range cassette on a GRX810 Rear mech?
I am finding I would like a couple easier gears on my new local climbs, but don't want to lose top end speed by changing the chainrings

Shimano states the 810 rear mech has a max low sprocket of 34, which I currently have, but has anyone had success going larger with little issue?
Quote Reply
Re: GRX 48/31 w 11-36 or 11-40? [STeaveA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have GRX800 on my Trek Checkpoint and can confirm that a 36 works fine. I recently used the bike a lot on gravel roads and no issues with shifting. 40 seems like it would be too large but I've never tried it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will work. Might need a goat link.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STeaveA wrote:
Has anyone had success with a larger range cassette on a GRX810 Rear mech?
I am finding I would like a couple easier gears on my new local climbs, but don't want to lose top end speed by changing the chainrings

Shimano states the 810 rear mech has a max low sprocket of 34, which I currently have, but has anyone had success going larger with little issue?
Lots of people exceed spec on the RD-RX400 and RD-RX810. 11-36 will likely be no problem, chain resize and b-limit adjustment should let it work fine. 11-40 or 11-42 are common changes, but depending on the bike you may also need a hanger extender like a Roadlink DM, and you should expect the drivetrain to get pretty slack toward the small-small region.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It still works beautifully with an 11-40 cassette. 11-42 gets a little sloppy at the 11 to 13 shift. A Roadlink makes that 11-13 even worse and I wouldn't recommend it. But I will sell you one quite cheap if you think you need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
31-34 gives you ration of 0.91.
I've yet to encounter a gravel climb where this is insufficient as a bail out gear and I've dome some serious AF gravel rides.
Why trade tight gearing and shift performance for a rarely used gear?
It's like riding knobby MTB tires when .05% of the course has some rooted muddy single track when the rest is hardpacked roads.
Choose your bike and components based on the most common use case, not the outlier use case.

If you plan to add the weight of bikepacking gear, then I could see the use for lower gearing.
Quote Reply
Re: GRX 48/31 w 11-36 or 11-40? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I've yet to encounter a gravel climb where this is insufficient as a bail out gear and I've dome some serious AF gravel rides.
There's a lot of variance in riders and riding. Someone whose gradients are 18% steeper or whose legs are 18% weaker could have just as much use for a 31-40 as you have for a 31-34. I have a .75 ratio on my gravel bike and use it extensively, and most people I ride gravel with are in a similar boat.
Quote Reply
Re: GRX 48/31 w 11-36 or 11-40? [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

There's a lot of variance in riders and riding. Someone whose gradients are 18% steeper or whose legs are 18% weaker could have just as much use for a 31-40 as you have for a 31-34. I have a .75 ratio on my gravel bike and use it extensively, and most people I ride gravel with are in a similar boat.
+1

I had 30-34 on my gravel bike and was constantly wishing for 2 more gears. Never once did I think, "man I wish I had smaller steps between shifts." In fact, I often wished I had larger steps so that I wouldn't need to shift as frenetically.

Now I use my XC MTB for climbing long, steep gravel roads, and I've been thankful many times for my 34-50. :)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: GRX 48/31 w 11-36 or 11-40? [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 90 rpm, you are going 8.5 km/h with a .75 ratio.
Are you better off to walk your bike through those sections?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, today had me facing a 15+% grade at 4500 feet above the elevation where I live and train.
Was trying to hang on, cranked out 400+w for 6 minutes before I caved and bailed with my HR at 198.

I'll be very happy to have the extra gear or two.
Quote Reply
Re: GRX 48/31 w 11-36 or 11-40? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can verify this works, just installed an shifts perfectly on the stand. Will test it put tomorrow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine walking tough sections will make anyone a better cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither will spinning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
At 90 rpm, you are going 8.5 km/h with a .75 ratio.
Are you better off to walk your bike through those sections?

If I'm trying to go fast, no. 8.5kph is an extremely fast pace to "walk" a bicycle up steep mountainous gradients. As long as the gearing and technicality makes pedaling practicable, it's nearly always more performant than walking, even when cycling speeds get much lower than 8.5kph.

I also think that walking a bike uphill for extended periods can get uncomfortable on the core.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Jun 30, 22 16:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OP: "Can I install a bigger cassette on my gravel bike?"

Slowtwitch: "I won't answer your question but don't bother with that, you can just walk your bike up the steep hills instead"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, did this recently. I have a 48/33 up front and a 11-40 in the back. It requires a little more fine adjustment then the 11-34 or 11-36 but I had it dialed after a couple rides. I'd say go for it.

To those saying you don't need those gears...come to SLC and ride with me :D I use every bit of that range on a regular basis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Neither will spinning.

I'm curious to hear your explanation here?
If I can ride up a hill and dictate my own output, i.e. hit my target watts at a given cadence, from my experience that is what makes someone a better cyclist.

Walking up the hill certainly won't make me a better cyclist and "spinning" up it (which was never part of the discussion mind you) will certainly have more impact on bike fitness and skill then walking ever would.

Curious to see examples of those who have gotten faster on the bike by walking their bike instead of riding.
Quote Reply
Re: GRX 48/31 w 11-36 or 11-40? [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha, sounds about right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Install a road link and you can run a really big cassette on a GRX 2X set-up. That's what I am running on my Checkpoint, as some of the Epic gravel climbs here have long pitches over 15% with several 20% or more ramps. Big Gears = Big fun.
Quote Reply
Re: GRX 48/31 w 11-36 or 11-40? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
It still works beautifully with an 11-40 cassette…

Did you have to swap to a longer chain? I using an 11-36 with my GRX and it works great. Would love to go to a 40 though.
Quote Reply
Re: GRX 48/31 w 11-36 or 11-40? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did, but I always use a new chain with a new cassette or chainring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
dangle wrote:
It still works beautifully with an 11-40 cassette…

Did you have to swap to a longer chain? I using an 11-36 with my GRX and it works great. Would love to go to a 40 though.

Depending on how generous you were sizing your chain for 11-36, you may well need to go to a larger chain, especially with a 4t jump, rather than just a 2t larger cassette.

Too small a chain risks ripping your RD off in the big-big combination - an expensive mistake. Yeah, you shouldn't be using that gear combo, but hey, ALL of us lose track of what gear we are in at some stage.

Perhaps buy a new chain, but see how it goes with the old one. Put it in the big ring on the work stand, but a smaller cog, and gradually work your way onto the larger cogs. If you get to the 2nd last cog, and the RD is already stretched all the way forward with little slack left, then you will need to fit the new chain. If there is sufficient slack to shift into the 40t, all good, and you can keep the new chain as a spare until the old one is worn out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished installing an 11-40 and new, longer chain on my GRX810. Works like a charm. Looking forward to having some extra gearing on my Colorado trip next month.

I didn’t bother comparing the length of the new chain vs old, but it was cheap and easy to install a new one. Great thread - definitely benefited from this one.

Now I’m going to see if I can fit the 11-40 cassette on my wife’s 105 long cage Domane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano XT 11-40 cassette?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRAM 11-36 ?
Quote Reply

Prev Next