Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GPS + H2O
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: GPS + H2O [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i guess my original message got deleted, but has anyone tried using the timex GPS in the water? i know its not water proof, but what about throwing it in a ziplock bag and swimming open water with it? thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is that the ziplock thing would work, if you could figure out a way to mount it to your person after bagging it. However, I'm not about to take that kind of risk with an expensive piece of equipment. What I do is take a laser rangefinder (used for hunting) and take readings on pilings, etc. to pre-measure the distance. If you have access to one of these, it works very well. If you do try the bag-thing, please let us know how it works. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This article on Ironmanlive mentions putting the gps in a baggy successfully.

http://vnews.ironmanlive.com/...distance/1023890903/
Quote Reply
Re: GPS + H2O [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info guys, i'm not gonna try til i'm in the carribbean this march but i'll let you know if it works or not !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the baggy thing quite a few times (watch on wrist, GPS unit in double baggy under my wetsuit). It kept losing the signle after a short time. But I will have to try the IronmanLive technique of watch and GPS in baggy. Can't be quite as accurate with stop/go/splts, but still should help with distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've tried the following: Get a waterproof GPS drybag from REI, their very small and the timex unit slips perfectly inside, plus the top of this thing is clear so you get clear acess tothe satellites. Then i put a nylon belt around my waist and hook the timex to that, it worked. plus the drybag from REI floats, so just in case...

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply