Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GP5000 tyres getting real slippery on rollers
Quote | Reply
On my road bike, I have a GP5000 tubeless on the rear, and when I ride it on rollers after about 5-10 minutes it has leached out a slippery liquid on the two rear rollers which makes the bike move around a LOT when putting out any effort, so much so it's hard to ride above about 110% FTP (i.e. when I'm finding it harder to maintain core stability / have a higher cadence). It *could* be sealant coming out, however the tyre is maintaining pressure and there's no evidence at all of splatter of sealant on the frame or floor which I've seen before with punctures. I just wonder if, when the tyre gets hot, it starts to release an oil from the rubber? I usually ride my tri bike on the rollers which have GP4000 clinchers on them - no issue at all like I'm getting with GP5000 tubeless. Anyone experienced this? I know I could just change tyre and try that, but the 5000 is fairly new and not sure I can be bother to change rear wheel each time i want to ride this bike on the rollers (although that's probably my next course of action).
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 tyres getting real slippery on rollers [jknipe101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roller grease? Chain lube?

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 tyres getting real slippery on rollers [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roller grease would show when I ride my tri bike (which I use more often). Chain lube is possible I guess, although it's the same lube on both bikes and I've never had this issue on the tri bike. I guess it wouldn't take much of any liquid to cause a slippery sheen across the rollers...will clean and re-lube the chain at the weekend and see if it helps. Thanks.
Last edited by: jknipe101: Jun 10, 20 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 tyres getting real slippery on rollers [jknipe101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is the sealant. A friend had the same thing happen last year during our roller sessions. The tire was newish but the sealant had gone bad or was part of a bad batch. The carrier had seperated from the latex (or whatever) and apparently moves through the pores of the tire fairly quickly...especially after it warmed up a bit.

Try removing the tire, wiping out all the sealant and putting in some fresh stuff. Maybe clean the tire with isopropyl alcohol too.

Rich
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 tyres getting real slippery on rollers [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrutis wrote:
apparently moves through the pores of the tire fairly quickly
Sealant leaking through the casing/sidewall of a tubeless tire is pretty common on mountain bike tires. It doesn't require the sealant to be bad/separated.
Quote Reply
Re: GP5000 tyres getting real slippery on rollers [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I changed the sealant a month or so ago. Had the tyre off and gave it a good clean. However, I struggled to re-seat the tyre big time and ended having multiple attempts with painting on water and dish-washing liquid...which has got me thinking it could be residual water / dish-washing liquid which has nowhere else to evaporate off to (the tyre being sealed to atmosphere obviously). I might take the tyre off, let it dry, then reinstall with new sealant but (if I can) avoid using water and dish-washing liquid.
Quote Reply