Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GP4000/5000 question that would only be asked on Slowtwitch
Quote | Reply
Are there any data re: the penalty (CdA, Crr, or both) of mounting a Continental GP4000 or GP5000 backwards?

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Jul 22, 20 17:22
Quote Reply
Re: GP4000/5000 question that would only be asked on Slowtwitch [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will cause a substantial increase in the coefficient of aesthetic drag.
Quote Reply
Re: GP4000/5000 question that would only be asked on Slowtwitch [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Are there any data re: the penalty (CdA, Crr, or both) of mounting a Continental GP4000 or GP5000 backwards?

I hope this isn't because you mounted it wrong, and are too lazy to switch it back the other way.
Quote Reply
Re: GP4000/5000 question that would only be asked on Slowtwitch [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The OCD factor will cost you about 2 seconds/km in lost concentration. Best to just bite the bullet and remount the tires. I’ve done that to line up the labels over the valve stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he mounted them correctly but is planning on riding backwards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason a gp4000 has a directional arrow is because the engineers got sick of fielding questions about preferential direction on the tire. So they changed the mould to have a random directional arrow and then their productivity shot up because the phone stopped ringing.
Quote Reply
Re: GP4000/5000 question that would only be asked on Slowtwitch [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I hope this isn't because you mounted it wrong, and are too lazy to switch it back the other way.

I'm trying to avoid wasting 25ml of sealant by remounting.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Jul 22, 20 19:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.. the mounting direction is for the correct orientation of the woven carcass [more important for braking than acceleration ore rolling] ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: GP4000/5000 question that would only be asked on Slowtwitch [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
The reason a gp4000 has a directional arrow is because the engineers got sick of fielding questions about preferential direction on the tire. So they changed the mould to have a random directional arrow and then their productivity shot up because the phone stopped ringing.
Source?
Quote Reply
Re: GP4000/5000 question that would only be asked on Slowtwitch [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:

This^^^^^LOL
Quote Reply
Re: GP4000/5000 question that would only be asked on Slowtwitch [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interview with a Continental engineer many years ago. Was quoted widely at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: GP4000/5000 question that would only be asked on Slowtwitch [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:

which is ironic because certain Conti tires do better mounted backwards...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: GP4000/5000 question that would only be asked on Slowtwitch [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, I didn't know they were directional. I have 5000 23mm in the front and 25mm in the back. Apparently, I mounted front tire backward, so simply flipped the wheel to correct it. I couldn't find the direction sign on the rear tire, but patterns on the tire are facing the same as the front tire, so I know it's good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aside from being OCD, I Can’t Think of any reason they should be mounted one or the other way, it’s not like the tread patterns car tires removed a huge amount of water in the rain. You Can’t really hydroplane on a bike, because it has a rounded contact patch and moves the water to the side any way.
Quote Reply
Re: GP4000/5000 question that would only be asked on Slowtwitch [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The arrangement of the carcass construction could potentially favour one direction over the other in terms of either rolling resistance and durability. The structural components are not all homogeneous. Whether or not they are designed with direction in mind, and whether a difference in performance is detectable, I don't know.
Quote Reply
Re: GP4000/5000 question that would only be asked on Slowtwitch [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the ply direction made a difference it would probably be best for the tires to be mounted in opposite directions. Front to optimize braking and rear to optimize for accelerations.

There's a report out there from November bikes that wid tunnel testing shows one direction to be favorable over the other. I find this a little strange because the wind tunnel should see the pattern symmetrically. The top should be opposite to the bottom etc.

Wind tunnel doesn't capture rotational drag and this is where there might be a directional difference. Here's an experiment: mount a front wheel with a gp4000 tire in a trueing stand. Spin it clockwise 10 times and measure time to decrease from 30 mph to 20 mph equivalent, spin it anti clockwise 10 times and do the same measurement. See if there's a repeatable difference. One can measure the speed by attaching a magnet and speedometer or better by using an optically activated relay that's triggered by a passing spoke or reflector.

Should be possible to estimate the moment of inertia and the drag and accuracy, and then put an upper and lower bound on any difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was asked and answered back in 2016 :)

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0on%20conti#p5926321
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
If the ply direction made a difference it would probably be best for the tires to be mounted in opposite directions. Front to optimize braking and rear to optimize for accelerations.
Why would this be the case?
Yes, braking and pedalling apply shear loads on the tyre and at the contact patch, and differ between the front and rear tyres, but I don't see how you make the leap to saying this would necessarily be the overriding criteria for optimisation or that it would make any sense to mount the front and rear in opposite directions. For one thing the front tyre is generally not under much shear load. The vast majority of the time you are not braking, and it's simply supporting the load and providing steering (so some shear loads there but not in the same direction as braking). I would expect carcass directionality, if present, to be directed primarily at reducing rolling resistance (with or without consideration of propulsion) with braking only taken into account in terms of durability and no significant loss of grip. Simply rolling possesses directionality, before accelerations are ever considered.
carlosflanders wrote:
There's a report out there from November bikes that wid tunnel testing shows one direction to be favorable over the other. I find this a little strange because the wind tunnel should see the pattern symmetrically. The top should be opposite to the bottom etc.
Not so. The ground has a boundary layer, or wind gradient. Except in still air, there will be a difference in windspeed, and probably direction, depending on height off the ground. If the wind tunnel testing took this into account, which it certainly should for yaw tests, there would be a significant difference between the flow over the upper and lower portions of the wheel.
carlosflanders wrote:
Wind tunnel doesn't capture rotational drag and this is where there might be a directional difference. Here's an experiment: mount a front wheel with a gp4000 tire in a trueing stand. Spin it clockwise 10 times and measure time to decrease from 30 mph to 20 mph equivalent, spin it anti clockwise 10 times and do the same measurement. See if there's a repeatable difference. One can measure the speed by attaching a magnet and speedometer or better by using an optically activated relay that's triggered by a passing spoke or reflector.

Should be possible to estimate the moment of inertia and the drag and accuracy, and then put an upper and lower bound on any difference.
Interesting idea, but how do you take any asymmetries in the bearings, spokes, rim or valve out of the equation? You'd also need to perform this in a wind tunnel to get a realistic and repeatable flow. I don't think it's as simple a test as you suggest given the likely small relative magnitude of the forces involved for aerodynamic drag differences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:

Why would this be the case?
Yes, braking and pedalling apply shear loads on the tyre and at the contact patch, and differ between the front and rear tyres, but I don't see how you make the leap to saying this would necessarily be the overriding criteria for optimisation or that it would make any sense to mount the front and rear in opposite directions. For one thing the front tyre is generally not under much shear load. The vast majority of the time you are not braking, and it's simply supporting the load and providing steering (so some shear loads there but not in the same direction as braking). I would expect carcass directionality, if present, to be directed primarily at reducing rolling resistance (with or without consideration of propulsion) with braking only taken into account in terms of durability and no significant loss of grip. Simply rolling possesses directionality, before accelerations are ever considered.
carlosflanders wrote:

Not so. The ground has a boundary layer, or wind gradient. Except in still air, there will be a difference in windspeed, and probably direction, depending on height off the ground. If the wind tunnel testing took this into account, which it certainly should for yaw tests, there would be a significant difference between the flow over the upper and lower portions of the wheel.
carlosflanders wrote:

Interesting idea, but how do you take any asymmetries in the bearings, spokes, rim or valve out of the equation? You'd also need to perform this in a wind tunnel to get a realistic and repeatable flow. I don't think it's as simple a test as you suggest given the likely small relative magnitude of the forces involved for aerodynamic drag differences.

Good to see someone thinking about this.

My comments about directionality were from the point of view of durability and handling. Front tire does most of the braking so optimise the front for that. I don't have strong opinions about it, just thought it was worth a mention.

Wind Tunnel: This is interesting. The question is: is the gradient in the wind tunnel the same or similar to IRL? I don't have the answer to that but I would expect there to be a tunnel-to-tunnel variation. Plus the rear tire is going to see quite different air from the front - most of the WT tire tests have been done on stand alone wheels that only simulate the front tire. More than happy to be educated on this but my expectation is that IRL flows and gradients will be quite different - plus tunnels don't measure rotational drag.

Rotational drag: The test I proposed is purely to measure rotational drag and could be a high school science project. Some back of the envelope calculations show rotational drag to be about 1/3 of translational but you don't need a tunnel to measure it. Should capture very purely the effect of direction without worrying about gradients or yaws. If you see a difference then you've established that mounting direction has merit and you can get an estimate of the magnitude. No, you don't need to do this in a wind tunnel.

Taking into account any difference in directionality of spokes, rims, bearings etc is easy. Do you measurements in clockwise and anti-clockwise, then mount the tire in the opposite direction and repeat.

I think there's a huge merit to doing a test that requires negligible $ to invest, only time, versus a test with limited time and huge capital cost.
Quote Reply