8.Macca
9.Whitfield
10.Robbo

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: Oct 26, 18 3:43
Quote Reply
Re: GOAT by 220Triathlon [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You always have to chuckle at these GOAT lists... they are purely there to create discussion (which is fine) but it's not comparing apples with apples.

You can't compare Fangio with Lewis Hamilton or Jack Nicklaus with Tiger Woods for example. They competed in completely different eras, with different equipment and different levels of competitors.

For what it's worth, I think Frodo has a really valid shout at GOAT. He has won at every distance there is and has dominated a couple of them. He has also lifted the bar when it comes to long distance racing, being the only person in the field who can swim the fastest, almost bike the fastest and run the fastest. Maybe Brownlee could do this but he is too injured to ever really demo that.

Mark Allen and Dave Scott never really competed at short distance (albeit they strated competing before the creation of the ITU). Macca, Gomez, Frodo, Brownlee have all won across almost all distances... I also think that there is so much romance tied to Allen and Scott that they are, understandably, bumped up in these kinds of rankings (like Palmer, Nicklaus and Player in golf).

So....

My list is

Frodo

That's it. There can only be one GOAT and he is it.
Quote Reply
Re: GOAT by 220Triathlon [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lbmxj560 wrote:
You always have to chuckle at these GOAT lists... they are purely there to create discussion (which is fine) but it's not comparing apples with apples.

You can't compare Fangio with Lewis Hamilton or Jack Nicklaus with Tiger Woods for example. They competed in completely different eras, with different equipment and different levels of competitors.

For what it's worth, I think Frodo has a really valid shout at GOAT. He has won at every distance there is and has dominated a couple of them. He has also lifted the bar when it comes to long distance racing, being the only person in the field who can swim the fastest, almost bike the fastest and run the fastest. Maybe Brownlee could do this but he is too injured to ever really demo that.

Mark Allen and Dave Scott never really competed at short distance (albeit they strated competing before the creation of the ITU). Macca, Gomez, Frodo, Brownlee have all won across almost all distances... I also think that there is so much romance tied to Allen and Scott that they are, understandably, bumped up in these kinds of rankings (like Palmer, Nicklaus and Player in golf).

So....

My list is

Frodo

That's it. There can only be one GOAT and he is it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...rk_Allen_(triathlete)
He has also excelled at the Olympic distance, winning the sport's inaugural World Championships in 1989 in Avignon, France

Mark Allen has come to summarize his career in four characters: "1-6-21-infinity".[4] "1" is for his victory in the first official triathlon World Championship. "6" is for the six times he won the Ironman. 21 stands for his two season run of 21 straight victories, along the way defeating every one of the top 50 triathletes in the world. "Infinity" represents his acknowledgement by ESPN[5] as "The Greatest Endurance Athlete of All Time."

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: GOAT by 220Triathlon [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paula Newby Fraser is the GOAT

Quote Reply
Re: GOAT by 220Triathlon [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for PNF

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: GOAT by 220Triathlon [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Allen and Dave Scott never really competed at short distance //

Well since they raced about 15 times a year and did "1" ironman, what were the other races they did? Later on there were a couple more ironmans, but dont recall Mark doing them, and Dave never more than 1. Of course they competed at short distance, that was 99% of the sport back then, and they were dam good at it too...
Quote Reply
Re: GOAT by 220Triathlon [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to argue against PNF but my money is on Daniela Ryf. She has to go a few more years to depose PNF but I think 5 years from now we’ll recognize her as the better triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: GOAT by 220Triathlon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Allen's wins at Nice stick out in my mind. Almost unstoppable.

Mark Allen is the men's GOAT until Frodo comes back from injury and knocks Lange down a peg.

Quote Reply
Re: GOAT by 220Triathlon [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Mark Allen's wins at Nice stick out in my mind. Almost unstoppable.

Mark Allen is the men's GOAT until Frodo comes back from injury and knocks Lange down a peg.

+1. Frodeno has to win more Kona titles to dethrone Allen. Brownlee could be in with a shot, but he's not won Kona at this point, let alone won it multiple times.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: GOAT by 220Triathlon [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frodenos are gonna hate me, but in my opinion, and many other's, he did not excel in ITU...I know he was gold in Beijing, blablabla, but for 3 years in a row and just months before the Olympics, Gomez was the best by far (I remember Simon Whitfield telling so).Bad luck he was injured in that race but even finished 4th. Frodo has never won an ITU world title (in the old format-single race, or the new one-series), not even a world cup before he got gold.I know, some people will say that he won when it counted...., but look at Gomez,Brownlee, Lessing resumes...in fact he moved to IM because he knew he was no competitive in oly distance...IMO, he is not even in a top 5 in ITU format...
I won't discuss about IM...I know just a little about the best ones before 2010.Yes, he's got 2 Konas, WR holder ( WRs in triathlon are stupid from my POV...you cannot meaure them the same as swimming in a pool or running in a track) and he is a beast...I saw the 70.3 worlds and was amazing...but still has to prove he is the best ever one in IM...still, Allen and Scott are before him...

By the way, ITU is triathlon as well...

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: Oct 27, 18 0:19
Quote Reply