Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you could, please give his wife and kids a huge hug...for all of us.

Bob
Last edited by: Macho Grande: Nov 24, 11 10:08
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [KevinMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not know Chris or any of his friends but feel I do somewhat now. Wow, all I can say is what an accomplished guy - professionally, in friendship, sports and more importantly - Family. Many great memories and experiences for sure! I wish everyone the best in these trying times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought a lot about Chris this morning. It was a beautiful, 45 degree morning and I had committed to a ride with three other guys. Didn't want to go. Almost bagged it, and I could just hear Chris calling me a wuss and telling me it was too beautiful not to ride. Sucked it up and had a terrific ride. Here's to you, Chris. RIP.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Last edited by: steveperx: Nov 24, 11 14:14
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, race photos from the Philly marathon (courtesy Island Photo). Chris on his last run giving it on sub 3 hour pace.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran the Cardiac Classic in Schenectady this morning with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes – this was my first ever 5K race 15ish years ago and I ran it because of and with the Gleason family. I can’t imagine another way to start off Thanksgiving morning every year thanks to you all.

Chris helped me out last year when I was training for my first HIM by letting me borrow his road bike to do a long training ride when I was in CP visiting. When I returned the bike we stood in his garage for quite a while and he couldn’t have been happier to discuss racing and answer the numerous first timer questions I had about racing that distance. I recall thinking how excited he seemed for me that I was racing my first half.

Jenny, Cara, rest of Gleason family – I am so very sad for your tragic and untimely loss. Cara and Chris both have inspired me to push the limits of what I thought I was capable of. This past Sunday I raced IMAZ, my first full, and I’d like to dedicate my own personal victory of finishing strong and leaving it all out on the course to Chris’s memory. RIP Chris.

Dana
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Guys, race photos from the Philly marathon (courtesy Island Photo). Chris on his last run giving it on sub 3 hour pace.

It sucks to think he was gone in however many minutes after this picture was taken. :-(

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

It sucks to think he was gone in however many minutes after this picture was taken. :-(
Wow :0(

Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Like Steve Larsen, who left too early, it truly does suck. However, just make sure that he lives with you. Everytime you push through the last 400m of a race, Chris is doing it with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

This is within the last 2 miles to go... hope they can find the cause.

Dev, I know you are heading down to the funeral. Chris seems to be wearing the garmin 310xt and maybe a heart monitor... Might find information by uploading the file regarding how his race went... Any anormal heart beats drift over the race and that final mile? I know this is not an easy but could give some answers to questions from the family and friends.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [RoseC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for sharing these stories Cara. For those of us who knew him briefly, or not at all in person, it is heartwarming to learn more about Chris.

Please know that as the funeral approaches, tomorrow, that you have the strength and love of this entire community surrounding your family.

Many virtual hugs coming your way.

Cathy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll say it...... he's wearing the 2010 AmZof race shirt.... that makes me smile :)
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
This is within the last 2 miles to go...

Yes, it would have to be, because he is in the traffic lane closest to the river, and he has the wall of foliage behind him, so you can narrow down that he was heading towards the finish in this picture, and he was somewhere along Boathouse Row.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [CeeCee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AmZof 2011 Start Line Medium Course. This is the crazy Formula 1 format (I still don't know why it's called that!).
Run 5 miles, Bike 29 miles, Run 5 miles, Bike 29 miles, Run 5 miles.

I ran out to the start line to take pics of the guys and got great big hugs from all of them, although they had only met me once before. What a great bunch of friends you are to each other. I know it won't be the same for you without Chris.

Murphys Law (Mike), Chris, TriYoda (Matt) and #203 hidden is KAlber (Keith). Not sure if guy with his arm up is an STer or not.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CeeCee wrote:
AmZof 2011 Start Line Medium Course. This is the crazy Formula 1 format (I still don't know why it's called that!).
Run 5 miles, Bike 29 miles, Run 5 miles, Bike 29 miles, Run 5 miles.

I ran out to the start line to take pics of the guys and got great big hugs from all of them, although they had only met me once before. What a great bunch of friends you are to each other. I know it won't be the same for you without Chris.

Murphys Law (Mike), Chris, TriYoda (Matt) and #203 hidden is KAlber (Keith). Not sure if guy with his arm up is an STer or not.

** He is indeed, that's Stefan, aka Baliman.

PS - I have to agree w/ you CeeCee, it also made me smile to see Chris rocking the AmZof race shirt @ Philly.
Represent!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Like Steve Larsen, who left too early, it truly does suck. However, just make sure that he lives with you. Everytime you push through the last 400m of a race, Chris is doing it with you.

That is some heavy stuff and I will carry that with me. I can tell you that his sudden and tragic death is being talked about in running forums all over the world.
Last edited by: Burnt Toast: Nov 25, 11 17:24
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just returned from the funeral home and cops were out directing traffic. Took me 2 hours to get through the line and I arrived 5 minutes after it started! (line out the door was already 50 yards long)

Wonderful photo montages on DVD and scrap books lined the halls....letters from his kids...a beautiful family mourning their son, husband, brother and Dad. When someone figures out the silver lining to all of this......please post it online.

Until then, remain inspired and like a previous poster, carry Chris with you on your journey. (He'll no doubt be cheering you on and hand you up a cold one when you get to cross over!)

(As for the old timers there tonite grousing about having to stand in line for 2 hours.......I have to think Chris may chuckle and throw a HTFU your way. Just sayin')
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [Trihumor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall his posts on ST. Sorry to hear of this.
RIP Chris G.

G.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eric, for sharing this story of the visitation, with those of us not able to be there. I would agree with you on the greeting he'll give us on arrival in Heaven....... Chris has probably already started a Rhinebeck Brewing Company, Heaven's Branch Plant location with Saint Peter ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'll say it...... he's wearing the 2010 AmZof race shirt.... that makes me smile :)"

Agreed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not know him but the eulogy from his friends on this thread make me believe that I missed meeting and knowing a wonderful person. Condolences to his family and friends. God speed Chris Gleason!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, what an emotionally draining last 24 hours or so.

Our crew got to the funeral home a little before 5 or so, and the line was over 100m out the door. There were so many cars parked in overflow parking alongside the road, it was surreal. It took us well over an hour just to get in the door, and another hour to reach Chris' family. We made the most of that time, sharing stories, looking at the slideshow on the flatscreen and paging thru photo albums, reading the cards Ash and Matty made for him.... and then it was time.

On top of the casket were 2 framed pictures - one of Chris running strong at Philly, and the other was his and Jenny's wedding photo.

Cara and Jenny were both so incredibly strong. They are my heroes.
We were supposed to be there for them, and yet they were comforting and consoling me.

Later, we regrouped at Antipastos for drinks and dinner, and again, lots more stories, lots of laughs, and a few tears. Then over to Keith's house for more of the same.
And then, finally, to bed.

5:30am came far too quickly (I think I maybe got 2hrs of sleep; just too many thoughts racing thru my mind all night), and Kevin and I got up and out by 5:45, ran by braille along a dark wooded path over to Keith's house, where we met up w/ Keith and his wife, and Dev and Jean, and then ran together to Clifton Commons to meet the rest of the run group. Jenny and Cara were both there, naturally, and after a few group photos, we all headed out together into the brightening sky of a beautiful day.
Somehow "5k" turned into 5.5m (plus the 1.8m approach), but math has never been our collective strong point. Magically, a 12pack of Guinness and 2 big boxes o' DD Joe and several dozen donuts appeared, and we availed ourselves of the bounty.

The church was quite full, and we all sat somberly thru the service. At the end, Chris' lifelong friend Mike gave a wonderful eulogy, which was quite eloquent and moving, and often funny - one of great lines was "...and then Chris achieved the greatest victory of his career - managing to convince Jenny to marry him" : )

Ashley came forward and read the Irish Blessing, which was equal parts wonderful and heartbreaking.

We all ended up at Chris' friend's house, for some amazing hospitality and companionship, and again, the stories were flying, on all topics Chris.
It was an amazing day, sunny and relatively warm for late November. We all agreed that Chris made sure of that, since he certainly wouldn't wanted any rain to risk having us wuss out and bag the run or the party.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know there were a few camera's used to take photo's at the beginning of the run. Could the owner of one of them please post a picture here? I tried taking a rough head count just before we left...i think there were approximately 25-30 friends and family in attendance for the ChrisG tribute run. Whoever came up with the idea, it was the perfect way to start a very tough day. I'm sure everybody who participated will never forget it.

Watching Ashley deliver the Irish blessing at the end was indeed heartbreaking to watch. I honestly think she was the strongest person in the church at that moment and she delivered it flawlessly. Chris would have been so proud.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Wow, what an emotionally draining last 24 hours or so.

Our crew got to the funeral home a little before 5 or so, and the line was over 100m out the door. There were so many cars parked in overflow parking alongside the road, it was surreal. It took us well over an hour just to get in the door, and another hour to reach Chris' family. We made the most of that time, sharing stories, looking at the slideshow on the flatscreen and paging thru photo albums, reading the cards Ash and Matty made for him.... and then it was time.

On top of the casket were 2 framed pictures - one of Chris running strong at Philly, and the other was his and Jenny's wedding photo.

Cara and Jenny were both so incredibly strong. They are my heroes.
We were supposed to be there for them, and yet they were comforting and consoling me.

Later, we regrouped at Antipastos for drinks and dinner, and again, lots more stories, lots of laughs, and a few tears. Then over to Keith's house for more of the same.
And then, finally, to bed.

5:30am came far too quickly (I think I maybe got 2hrs of sleep; just too many thoughts racing thru my mind all night), and Kevin and I got up and out by 5:45, ran by braille along a dark wooded path over to Keith's house, where we met up w/ Keith and his wife, and Dev and Jean, and then ran together to Clifton Commons to meet the rest of the run group. Jenny and Cara were both there, naturally, and after a few group photos, we all headed out together into the brightening sky of a beautiful day.
Somehow "5k" turned into 5.5m (plus the 1.8m approach), but math has never been our collective strong point. Magically, a 12pack of Guinness and 2 big boxes o' DD Joe and several dozen donuts appeared, and we availed ourselves of the bounty.

The church was quite full, and we all sat somberly thru the service. At the end, Chris' lifelong friend Mike gave a wonderful eulogy, which was quite eloquent and moving, and often funny - one of great lines was "...and then Chris achieved the greatest victory of his career - managing to convince Jenny to marry him" : )

Ashley came forward and read the Irish Blessing, which was equal parts wonderful and heartbreaking.

We all ended up at Chris' friend's house, for some amazing hospitality and companionship, and again, the stories were flying, on all topics Chris.
It was an amazing day, sunny and relatively warm for late November. We all agreed that Chris made sure of that, since he certainly wouldn't wanted any rain to risk having us wuss out and bag the run or the party.

X2 on everything. It was a crazy emotionally draining 24 hours, but in a way I tried to see the ups rather than the obvious down. Chris brought us together in life and even when he left us. The morning's run was a mix of crying, smacktalk and laughs. Jenny and Cara participating in all of it. Mike, you're right, they were there consoling a bunch of sobbing middle age guys, who were losing more than staying composed (which is a good thing).

Finally, on the drive home after Tupper the site of Chris' half IM PB race this year, the undefeated lawyer Chris Gleason had the final say. As I was pulled over by a state trooper driving 70 mph on a 55 mph road, no doubt Chris was telling the cop...."give these guys a break, they are doing no one any harm and came to keep my family and buddies company"...."Sir, drive safely, the speed limit is 55...have a nice day".

Thanks a million to the Alber family, for making us a part of your family this weekend. We are forever indebted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing Mike. Been thinking about everyone today as I'm sure it was a tough day.

I'll be thinking about Chris next weekend at the HITS HIM, gunning for a big PR!

Fred
Last edited by: sailnfast: Nov 26, 11 20:10
Quote Reply

Prev Next