Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [KevinMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also never met Chris in person, only through his posts here. He was the last thought I had last night and the first one when I woke up this morning. My heart goes out to his family. So sad.

Stefan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really admired Chris. He had everything, an amazing wife, two wonderful children, a great career, everybody liked him and he was getting to the top of the mountain in this sport while still keeping a great life balance and being there for his family. He was basically the guy I wanted to be. To see this all taken away so suddenly is sickening and tragic.

I will fondly remember three trips to AZ with him, two in KAlber's minivan (nothing better than men traveling in a minivan to a race). I will remember him driving me back from Hudson Valley CX last December after racing in the mud with KAlber, tetsuoni and Murphy's Law, when I was being an annoying drunk. Chris was a great guy to spend a day at the races with.

He raced his first USCF Race this August with me and rode very strong in the Cat 4/5s. It was great to have a team mate in the race and I was looking forward to more chances to race on the roads with him. He did a 6 mile brick run with me right after the race, in hot and humid weather, not because he needed to, but just so I wouldn't have to do it alone (I was getting ready for Savageman and he was still recovering from a breakthrough race at IMLP). After all this we went back to his house to relax and he insisted we play Wiffleball with his son Matty.

You will always be with us, I want to remember you in action. This is from a week ago Sunday.

Last edited by: tri_yoda: Nov 21, 11 19:17
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope this thread gets printed, protected and passed on to Chris's children and grandchildren. It is obvious he was an amazing human being that had a great, positive impact on all that crossed his path. My thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends. God Speed Chris.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I consider myself very fortunate to have known Chris. He was a great AmZofer who really got what the race is all about. He was a generous host when I ventured north to race Tupper and Placid. He was a constant source of amusement here on ST. His steady improvement in triathlon was impressive but it never led to tunnel vision. His family always came first, then fun with his friends, then the race. But once the race was on, it was on. He was a relentless competitor.
Not too long ago he dropped by for a tweaking of his road bike fit and we had a great talk. As a non-practicing attorney, I found his litigation war stories fascinating.
His wife, children, sister and parents have my sincerest condolences. I'm crushed knowing I won't get to take him on in anymore smack downs. I can't begin to fathom their loss.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shared Capital District Tri Club training nights, IMLP 2008, as well as some bunk room space pre-2009 IMLP vounteer shift with Chris. Wonderful sense of humor and an X factor of happiness. Peace and comfort to his family as they grieve.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [Trihumor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfathomable. As someone with kids of a similar age, it really hits home. I, for one, hugged my kids a little tighter yesterday evening after reading of the tragic events.

I hope that his family can eventually take solace in the fact that even after his passing he is still touching people and positively impacting our thoughts and deeds.

RIP.

http://rogersroadrash.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear of the loss. My condolences and sympathy to his family.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [tricop503] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tricop503 wrote:
I hope this thread gets printed, protected and passed on to Chris's children and grandchildren. It is obvious he was an amazing human being that had a great, positive impact on all that crossed his path. My thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends. God Speed Chris.

Fantastic idea.

Never met Chris but his posts were always entertaining and insightful. It always hits home when you hear of someone who dies when doing what they love trying to live a healthy lifestyle. Reminds you that you never know how much time you have left...

God bless Chris and his family, everyone else stay safe out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin,

Thanks for posting this up and sharing.

I have been a bit out of the ST loop over the past few days.

My condolences to Chris's family and friends.

I did not know Chris at all but he was one of the regular long-time posters on here and contributed a lot to the forum. As you said, he had "strong opinions", as I seem to recall from past threads, but he backed that up with good sense and thoughtful discussion. Those are the most valuable people on this forum, and they are the most missed when they are gone.

RIP

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 21, 11 18:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like many people here I was shocked to hear the news of Chris' passing yesterday. I will never forget how I received the news. I was finishing up a project on my house...grouting the tile on our porch...covered in filth... when our phone rang...3 times. It was my wife's aunt, who works for Dr. Gleason (Chris' dad). My wife answered and gave me the news. As I was sitting there in shock, my thoughts went immediately to Jenny and the kids. I must have sat there for half an hour in disbelief before calling Kevin. This occurred somewhere around 7pm (I don't really know for sure). Unfortunately, by the time I got off the phone and gathered myself the grout had dried on my tile and my wife and I ended up scrubbing it off until almost 1 o'clock in the morning...talking quite a lot about Chris in the process. Chris, I have no doubt, would see a lot of humor in that part. He had the last laugh on me. Chris was just asking me last week when I would be finished with this project so we could break in my nice new 4 season porch properly. As parents, I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking there isn't much time in the day to actually have a conversation with my wife. In a bitter twist of irony, Chris's death gave my wife and I several hours to talk in relative peace and quiet.

I only had the opportunity to know Chris for the last 2 years of his life but, in that time, we developed a friendship that I will never forget. I spent the last 2 years training with, and against Chris on a weekly basis. I say "against" in the best possible way. We both wanted each other to do well...but I knew if I didn't work hard on a daily basis he would be an even tougher adversary on race day. Chris usually came out on top...with notable exceptions like this one:

I was somehow declared the winner...even though I accidentally cut the run course and DQ'd myself to the RD. Making it even more memorable is the time on my plaque was wrong when I received it. I begrudgingly acknowledged that Chris was the true winner by giving him my plaque at his 40th birthday party last year.

Going into IMLP this year I thought he had a shot at qualifying for Kona given how strong he had become on the bike and run, but he would never admit that was his goal. The best I could get out of him was that he'd probably go if, by some miracle, he qualified. One of my fondest memories of Chris is from Epicman this year. After a long two days of training we met up with some people for a few drinks. On our way back to the hotel Chris started running downhill in flip flops yelling "come on...we're endurance athlete's!!!"...it was a site to behold. I was pulling hard for him from home on the day of IMLP, and he ended up very close to qualifying for Kona. His race was impressive to say the least...but not shocking given how hard he was working. Our bike workouts this past spring/summer inevitably turned into hammer fests with each of us trying our best to not appear weak.

Chris was never at a loss for words. Our masters swim workouts amounted to wall conversations broken up by 3000 yards of hard repeats. It honestly would not surprise me if he was still trying to hold a conversation with me while he was actually swimming. Our Thursday night swim/bar brick was one of the things I looked forward to on a weekly basis. I will attempt to keep that tradition alive, but it will not be the same without him. There was rarely a quiet minute with Chris on our bike rides. Our conversations were all over the place but inevitably we would talk about our families a lot... as middle aged men are bound to do. We would talk about how we were both unwilling to sacrifice our family responsibilities for AG glory. He was very well grounded and had his priorities straight...family was always first (as it should be).

Chris made training fun, he introduced me to new friends, he kept me accountable, he pushed me, challenged my beliefs and he helped bring out the best of me. We live around the corner from each other and our kids are roughly the same age. You read about things like this happening from time to time but never think it will be somebody you know...let alone somebody that's your friend. I have spent the vast majority of my life as an athlete, constantly pushing myself and trying to live a healthy lifestyle. Something like this shakes your foundation and causes you to really take a hard look in the mirror.

I know how awful this is for everybody who knows Chris...but on thanksgiving (even the canuckistanians) please take a moment and be thankful for having known Chris. I wish he was still with us...but I am thankful for having known him....and I will always be, his friend.

Keith Alber

Pictured below...left to right: me (KAlber), Matt Mallet (tri_yoda), Mike Bakker (Murphy'sLaw), G. Chris Gleason (ChrisG), and John McGovern (tetsuoni)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was shocked to hear this news this morning. I had the pleasure of meeting Chris at Lake Placid this year in person. It was great to talk with him, soak up his tri knowledge on the EN boards and here but as has been mentioned the tremendous life balance that he had.

I too was at the Lake Placid Brew pub having a few beers and great conversation after Chris' great race. He will be missed.

My condolences to his family and thanks to his brother-in-law for taking the time to post his thoughts at such a difficult time.

Gordon
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donations for Chris's Family

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/saratogian/obituary.aspx?n=christopher-gleason&pid=154713119

As per Chris's obituary page (it's sickening to say that), donations can be made for a college fund for this 2 children. Here is the quote:

Donations in Chris' name can be made to a scholarship fund for his children to: The G. Christopher Gleason Education Fund, c/o Gordon C. Emerick.
Arrangements have been entrusted by the family to the Gordon C. Emerick Funeral Home, 1550 Route 9, Clifton Park, NY 12065; (518) 371-5454.

Please, please think about donating. If we want to organize a mass Slowtwitch Donation, I would be more than happy to organize it.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris and I go way back to the early days of high school, partying in the 'pits' and at the river with the rest of the Shen kids. Walked the stage with him for graduation at SPAC where we shook his mom's hand as she was giving away the diploma's (PTA President?). We had 1 or 2 beers that day as you can imagine.

Onto college where I went to Plattsburgh State and Chris to St Michaels in Vermont and we visited each other a couple of times across Lake Champlain. Chris was always the guy who could party late, tell a good story (mostly true), make you laugh till your cheeks hurt then get up and ace the 9:00am test with one eye open, just a naturally smart kid.

We next hooked up in Hoboken where he was going to law school and I was starting a career with a company in downtown Manhattan. I remember moving down there and he already had this huge group of friends b/c of his infectious personality. Where ever we went we would run into people he knew and the people wanted to be around him. He brought a lot of fun into my life during these years and was always very generous.

Fast forward 10 years when he becomes very active with the triathlons which as a sports-oriented guy got my interest. I did a short tri in Arizona and was hooked and he became my mentor. I would ask the stupid newbie questions and he was always there with an answer, most times with that sly Gleason wit (i.e. ride that bike like u just stole it) We did Syracuse together in 2010 which was my first HIM. That was the race where he ate in on the bike on like mile 2 over the railroad tracks but refused to go to the Medical tent for treatment with the US Marine who picked him up off the ground and finished the bike and run with a mangled cut on his knee that looked like hamburger (his words). I remember the drive home where he said there was no way he was gonna look like a p8ssy in front of a combat Marine who probably dodged bullets for a living protecting our sorry civilian asses. At Medi-call i think he got about 20 stitches. Yes he biked 54 miles and ran 13+ on a knee with a cut that required that many stitches, he was kinda proud of it in a way and i knew right there and then that i had the right tri mentor for life.

Yesterday was the worst day of my life. I couldnt find his race times on the Philly website and he wasnt returning texts. I finally called his phone and Jenny answered and told me what happened, i ran to the bathroom and almost threw up while i cried for the first time in 20 years. I am far from the lets 'celebrate his life' mode yet. I am walking around in a fog feeling like i just lost a brother, the pain really stings my head and heart. As i type this tears form in my eyes...he was such a good friend, mentor, husband, father, son, brother, skier, triathlete, guitarist, lawyer...simply put he was very good at everything he did. If i ever have a son i hope he is half as good as Chris Gleason in the game of life.

When the time is right, and with Jennys permission, i would like to discuss how we create a new race - the G. Christopher Gleason Memorial.

-Justin Linnan
justinlinnan@yahoo.com
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [JustinReid1971] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

When the time is right, and with Jennys permission, i would like to discuss how we create a new race - the G. Christopher Gleason Memorial.

And I would be willing to bet all the money in the world that it would sell out in under 5 minutes. In fact, you can count me in NOW.

"Hold on, you run a marathon AFTER you ride your bike?!?....oh, you people are just insane"......(my Mom)

Rockin' the W in 2013!! Wattie Ink Elite Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not know Chris G at all, but I read his posts here. He was an ST Luminary. My heart goes out to his friends who must live without the blessing of his companionship.

Rest In Peace Chris G.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew Chris through his postings online, but to say the truth, i didn't know him at the level that so many here did.

A few years ago i lost a cousin in all to similar of a situation, He passed on from a freak cardiac arrhythmia. All too similar of a situation, great guy, loved by all, amazing husband & father to two young children, also a tri guy. The similarities of this are awakening so many emotions around that. I can only hope that this community and those closest to the Gleason's are able to keep the spirit of Chris present in the lives of Jenny & his children. Hopefully someday, this will all make sense to them and that they are able to stay connected to who their soulmate & father was.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [JustinReid1971] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I met Chris back in 2006 at the Lake George Tri.

I had my IMLP finisher's cap on and he came up and introduced himself and his sister Cara.

He mentioned he had just signed up for his first IM and was going on and on with questions ....almost like a kid . We hit it off instantly that day which was made even sweeter by him and his sister winning a set of Zipp 404's at the post race raffle beating me out by 1 number....technically it was Chris' grandma that owned those Zipps as it was her who gave them the money to buy a bunch of tickets.

It became a running joke for a few yrs between us.

I mentioned that he ought to check out Slowtwitch and as you all the know the rest is history.

As others have mentioned Chris was a giver. His smack talk was integral to his syntax in encouraging camaraderie , fellowship and his ferocious pursuit of pushing one's limits. He was the real deal, he really cared and I am so deeply saddened by the loss of a dear friend.

To Jenn, Matthew, Ashley, Cara and the rest of the Gleason clan my heart and prayers are with you during what I can only imagine is a period of immense sorrow and pain.

At the Lake Placid Brewery circa 2007? ChrisG and me far right top row. Good times !

With Chip(rec10), Parkito, and Dev.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deeply saddened to hear this extremely unfortunate news. My thoughts are with his family and ST friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
God Bless Chris and his family. I pray for them all during this time. All i want to do is give my own kids an extra kiss tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking of Chris' family, friends and slowtwitchers from over hear in Aus. Thoughts are with you guys.

Certainly when the time is right, his family would appreciate reading this thread. On our message board in Aus we've had similar circumstances and the family really appreciated the thread in memory of their loved one.

Take care folks

RIP Chris G.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only knew Chris from forum interactions on EN, but he was a very thoughtful guy and committed athlete. Very sorry to hear about the loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never met Chris g but having read his race reports and postings here and on endurancenation he made me want to meet him. He managed to do it all right - family, career and triathlon and was truly an inspiration. This is a terrible loss and my heart goes out to his family and close friends. So so sad.

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the privilege to occasionally train and race with Chris for the past couple years as he and his family live just down the road from me. My heart goes out for his family. He was truly a class act and someone I always enjoyed talking to. Chris, you will be sorely missed my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to remember all the great things about him. Who is going to step up the smacktalk in memory of Chris. He would not want all of us sitting around feeling sorry, rather, he'd expect someone to tell ML that he's going to get bitch slapped at AZ. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone like Chris on the upward trajectory who could pick up the baton from him and take ML out....then again, no one will pick the Baton up from him!

Fnishing Tupper Lake with one of his kids....take 20 minutes off to get his finish time....complete transformation from fat guy to skinny guy done! How appropriate that at the Tupper Lake finish, the title sponsor is Lake Placid Pub and Brewery!!!

82791-170-033

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 22, 11 5:10
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the rearview as he blew by (after flatting) at the Tupper Lake Half IM. Awesome day for Chris as he went on to a half IM PB

Quote Reply

Prev Next