Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fundamentals of Fast Swimming
Quote | Reply
For those of you interested in learning more about the complexities of swimming technique, Coach Devin Murphy and I have just released a new book entitled Fundamentals of Fast Swimming. How to improve your swim technique. It contains 280 pages and 300 images. It is available in e-book or print on virtually all online stores, including our website at TheRaceClub.com. Much of it is devoted to science, freestyle and kicking techniques. We hope you will take a deeper dive into swimming and that the book will help your swim.

Gary Sr.
Quote Reply
Re: Fundamentals of Fast Swimming [gary sr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary sr wrote:
For those of you interested in learning more about the complexities of swimming technique, Coach Devin Murphy and I have just released a new book entitled Fundamentals of Fast Swimming. How to improve your swim technique. It contains 280 pages and 300 images. It is available in e-book or print on virtually all online stores, including our website at TheRaceClub.com. Much of it is devoted to science, freestyle and kicking techniques. We hope you will take a deeper dive into swimming and that the book will help your swim.

Gary Sr.

Perfect timing!!
Will have a look for it on the kindle store now.
Thanks!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, added to my holiday shopping list. Now I just need my pool to open back up ;(.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it just have 280 pages of "Swim. Then Swim some more. Still reading this? then go Swim more".

Was what the last coach told me ;-) Which was pretty fair as my idea of ironman swim programme was to find wetsuit 3 weeks before race. Swim couple of times before race week. Buy new top of range wetsuit Thursday before race at race expo. Swim same 1:13-1:16 as when I'd spent 9 months diligently swimming 3 x 3.5km a week sets.

I jest as I have spent the last 180 months working down from 2:10+ per 100 to 1:35 /100 sustained pace. But I'm still left 'standing' in my lane for fast 50s, but then as the distances go up I get faster relative to the lane. I just don't go fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Fundamentals of Fast Swimming [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, there is very little information in the book about training. It is nearly all about technique and the technology that supports the swimming techniques. In my opinion, swimming is the most technique-sensitive sport in the world and half of the equation toward fast swimming. You can train all you want to, but with poor technique, you will not swim very fast.

Gary Sr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary sr wrote:
Actually, there is very little information in the book about training. It is nearly all about technique and the technology that supports the swimming techniques. In my opinion, swimming is the most technique-sensitive sport in the world and half of the equation toward fast swimming. You can train all you want to, but with poor technique, you will not swim very fast.

Gary Sr.

100% agree. I strongly believe most AG and especially masters coaching are much too focused on yardage over technique. 3-5 minutes of drills in a 3,000- 5,000 yard workout just assures getting a little better at swimming badly!
Quote Reply
Re: Fundamentals of Fast Swimming [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the change was to move from swimming solo to squad swimming. Turns out my 20 mins of drills a session were reinforcing bad habbits.

Swapped to some 1:1 and squads and I'm now happily mid pack. 2x squads and 1hr pure technique a week. Of those one of the squads is kinda technique focussed but that 1hr technique session we maybe only swim 1000m including 400m warmup - the rest is pure drills and 1:4 coach ratio.

So in a long way I'm saying I fully support your statements and push to support improved swimming.
Quote Reply