Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Full IM Bike Accessories for Hydration/Nutrition <= ADVICE Needed
Quote | Reply
Hi. I'm new here, but not new to endurance events. I've done one iron distance event -- the Vineman in 2014 -- on a road bike with clip-on aero bars. I'm registered for the IM St. George on 5/2/20, and for this event I'm treating myself to a Tri-bike. I'd like advice on accessories for carrying hydration and nutrition.

For the Vineman, I used a 24 oz. BTA bullet bottle with a straw for water, which I refilled at aid stations. I got virtually all my calories from two 24 oz. bottles filled with Hammer Perpetuem on two cages in the triangle. The setup worked great for me because (i) it let me manage hydration separately from my caloric intake, (ii) it let me race as I trained, (iii) and it made transiting aid stations easy, simple, and fast.

I'd like to do something similar for IM St. George, but I have more options given that I'm starting with a new Tri-specific bike. For the Vineman, I finished in the top third -- and I'm likely to be even less competitive for IM St. George given that it's the NA championship, so please take that into consideration.

For hydration, I'm planning to again rely on a BTA bottle, as it worked great for me. FIRST QUESTION: what BTA systems are you using and what do you like and dislike about them? I've looked at some of the options from X-Lab, Profile Design, and Speedfil, and it’s hard to differentiate between them.

For nutrition, I see four basic options: (i) two bottles in the triangle (bad aero, but great ergonomics); (ii) one bottle in the triangle and one BTS (better aero and comparable ergonomics as I’d only touch the BTS bottle once, mid-course, to swap out bottles); (iii) two BTS (best aero but I worry about dropping bottles, having them bounce out, and the distraction of reaching behind my saddle every time I want to take in calories); and (iv) a single larger reservoir in the triangle, such as the 40 oz. Speedfil F1 system (good aero, easy access, but I wonder if managing two sets of straws will be workable).

SECOND QUESTION: what do you recommend for carrying 40-48 oz. of liquid nutrition, which systems are you using, and what do you like and dislike about them? If you’re a fan of BTS setups, I’d appreciate your insights into (i) the challenges of using a BTS bottle in actual practice and (ii) how your system integrates with whatever you’re carrying for tools.

FINAL QUESTION: on the question of tools, what’s the standard kit these days? On my road bike, I’ve always carried a spare tube (two for training), inflator (two for training), tire levers, and (for training) a tube patch kit, small foldable multi-tool and emergency cash. Everything went into a saddle bag. With a BTS bottle and with a seat mast, rather than a stem, however, the question of carrying the kit is more complicated.

Thanks for your help!
Christopher from Oregon
Quote Reply
Re: Full IM Bike Accessories for Hydration/Nutrition <= ADVICE Needed [Oyster7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Speedfil system is very poor aerodynamically, so I'd rule that out.

For BTA, you have the choice of a refillable system (ex. Xlab torpedo, Torhans, etc.) or a bottle cage to put handups in. People have different preferences here; no one right answer. Depending on the bike you get, there may also be a built in front hydration.

For a flat kit, I'd go with either internal storage (if the bike has it), or put your gear in a water bottle and use one of the BTS cages for it. Tube, levers, CO2 is a reasonable setup; you may want an extra tube and CO2 in your special needs bag.

48oz is a lot of liquid nutrition to carry. I'd recommend a 24oz. concentrated bottle and then sip water from your front setup to compensate. BTS is more aero (my pick), but if it's hard to access and as a result it's harder to follow your nutrition plan go with a downtube cage. Another option is one bottle on the bike, and one in special needs.

Last note: Always have a plan B. If your bottle ejects, you miss a handoff, etc.; know beforehand exactly how you are going to handle it. For example, I lost my calorie bottle at my A race and knew that at the next station I'd grab 2 gels, 3 packs of Shot Blocks and put a Gatorade in my BTA instead of water. Lost 30sec.with the pitstop, but never panicked.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Oct 5, 19 15:51
Quote Reply
Re: Full IM Bike Accessories for Hydration/Nutrition <= ADVICE Needed [Oyster7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For flat kit, I have a x-lab mezo bag that mounts under my x-lab sonic wing BTS mount. I can fit two tubes, patches, a tool kit, and tire lever in it.

For BTA systems, I’d make sure you mount it well, whatever you get. I may volunteer at an Ironman event soon. The amount of profile design aero hydration systems I see on the side of the road is unreal!

I go with the trusty bottle cage mounted by zip ties for my BTA system. I finish that bottle, ditch it at the aid station, grab another and keep rotating like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Full IM Bike Accessories for Hydration/Nutrition <= ADVICE Needed [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:

I go with the trusty bottle cage mounted by zip ties for my BTA system. I finish that bottle, ditch it at the aid station, grab another and keep rotating like that.

This. I went through all manner of BTA "hydration systems" before I gave up and just zip tied a regular bottle cage to my stem. Easy. I also only ever race with that one bottle. No other hydration on my frame to mess up aerodynamics. With an aid station every 10 miles, I see no reason to carry more than one bottle at a time.

As for carrying nutrition, I use shot blocks and gels that I carry in a top tube "bento". Simple and it works.

I keep a flat kit in an X-Lab "gear box" stuck in a X-Lab Gorilla cage under/behind my saddle
Last edited by: g_lev: Oct 6, 19 6:04
Quote Reply
Re: Full IM Bike Accessories for Hydration/Nutrition <= ADVICE Needed [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
For flat kit, I have a x-lab mezo bag that mounts under my x-lab sonic wing BTS mount. I can fit two tubes, patches, a tool kit, and tire lever in it.

For BTA systems, I’d make sure you mount it well, whatever you get. I may volunteer at an Ironman event soon. The amount of profile design aero hydration systems I see on the side of the road is unreal!

I suspect this may be the Velcro strap that holds the bottle to the mount. It’s a thin strap that can wear out over time. It happened to me and launched going over a bump. They have a newer mount which no longer uses any Velcro. And another benefit of the new mount is it has an adapter so you can just want to mount a standard bottle cage.

Off topic but it’s absolutely infuriating when people don’t pick up stuff they launch. It’s one thing if they launch a rear bottle and don’t realize it. It’s another thing when they launch their BTA and just keep going.
Quote Reply
Re: Full IM Bike Accessories for Hydration/Nutrition <= ADVICE Needed [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a quick note to thank everyone who posted on this thread for sharing your thoughts and advice with me. I'm grateful.

Kindest,
Christopher from Portland, Oregon
Last edited by: Oyster7: Oct 8, 19 7:00
Quote Reply