Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fueling Question after TrainerRoad Workout Cues
Quote | Reply
There were some new workout dialogs on a TR workout I did last week. I think it might have been Phoenix. Anyway it goes into not needing sugar for long and low intensity workouts. It said you want your body to be better able to process fat as fuel and as soon as you introduce sugar, you stop the fat as fuel process.

This question isnt about weight loss, but fueling properly. On long zone 2 training rides of 3,4, 5 hours, what is the best source of fuel that isnt sugar based?

I am adapted enough that I can ride in that zone for 2.5 hours fasted and without taking on nutrition. But in an IM, I know that is not feasible, although I did do Gulf Coast 70.3 on two gels on the bike and 2 on the run, with a bike split of 2:54 and run split of 1:59.

Anyway, what should I eat on the long rides at a .68 Intensity Factor? I personally like food over gels and go for fig bars and Zone bars. They make me happy, but still have sugar in them. I assume Coach Chad was eluding to eating fat/protein, but I have never seen that as a fuel source in a local bike/running shop.

Thanks

Btw, I am new to Triathlon. I have only been riding a bike for 1 year, and into tri's for about 10 months, but training for my first full IM in Sept. I have all the disciplines worked out except for nutrition. It is so confusing.
Last edited by: Spartan420: Jun 25, 18 8:18
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling Question after TrainerRoad Workout Cues [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
There were some new workout dialogs on a TR workout I did last week. I think it might have been Phoenix. Anyway it goes into not needing sugar for long and low intensity workouts. It said you want your body to be better able to process fat as fuel and as soon as you introduce sugar, you stop the fat as fuel process.

This question isnt about weight loss, but fueling properly. On long zone 2 training rides of 3,4, 5 hours, what is the best source of fuel that isnt sugar based?

I am adapted enough that I can ride in that zone for 2.5 hours fasted and without taking on nutrition. But in an IM, I know that is not feasible, although I did do Gulf Coast 70.3 on two gels on the bike and 2 on the run, with a bike split of 2:54 and run split of 1:59.

Anyway, what should I eat on the long rides at a .68 Intensity Factor? I personally like food over gels and go for fig bars and Zone bars. They make me happy, but still have sugar in them. I assume Coach Chad was eluding to eating fat/protein, but I have never seen that as a fuel source in a local bike/running shop.

Thanks

Btw, I am new to Triathlon. I have only been riding a bike for 1 year, and into tri's for about 10 months, but training for my first full IM in Sept. I have all the disciplines worked out except for nutrition. It is so confusing.

1. Remember that this is a training tool and just like any training tool it needs to be used appropriately.
  2. The benefit is not derived from consumption of fat / protein during the ride, the benefit is from low glycogen stores as a result of reduced carbohydrate (CHO) intake
  3. See: http://www.gssiweb.org/...-training-adaptation for details
  4. Remember that training in a low-carbohydrate state will increase the "Stress" of the workout. Keep this in mind when planning your training load
  5. On Race-Day you want to compete well-fueled, the goal is not to survive on as little as possible.
  6. Ingestion of carbohydrate during activity does not stop your body utilizing Fat as a fuel. That is primarily intensity based with a modifier being CHO availability.
  7. In my opinion, a 2.5 hour ride once per week without outside CHO intake is sufficient to begin inducing changes without the consequences of repeated bout of exercise and the associated increased stress on your system.
  8. Keep in mind that this will significantly decrease your CHO stores which may impact other workouts during the week.
  9. How much you need to fuel is based on your absolute workload, efficiency and substrate utilization. It is not based on your relative intensity factor. It would be more helpful to know how many watts an if of 0.68 is as that reduces the number of assumptions.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling Question after TrainerRoad Workout Cues [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome read, thanks. I typically train twice a day 5 days a week, with two days being a long run and along ride. My FTP is a depressing 175, but I just started a structured training 5 weeks ago.

I will say. I do all morning workouts fasted. But, I eat immediately after the workout. As in, I eat within 10 minutes and eat a balance of carbs/protein/fat. Example: Cottage cheese and a banana. Then eat the rest of the day to recover before my afternoon workout.
Quote Reply