Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frozen Bottom Bracket
Quote | Reply
Hi all:

I have a Cervelo P2 frame with a bottom bracket that appears to have "become one" with the BB shell. Some scary-long breaker bars have been employed to remove the BB to no avail, so are there any tips 'n' tricks for a situation like this? ....Heat? Cold? Impact wrench?

Thanks,

...Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Frozen Bottom Bracket [JRadench] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you absolutely sure it's frozen and you're not just trying to turn it the wrong way? The right side cup is threaded backwards.
Last edited by: 2WheelsGood: Feb 12, 04 9:52
Quote Reply
Re: Frozen Bottom Bracket [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL...excelent...first thing when I hear that is the same "backwards" thread bit. But DO NOT heat the bike with a torch!!!. I would take it to a shop...or try my cool way of taking these tough things out...

1 - Get a BB tool, not the wrench kind...get the kind that will fit on to a 3/8 ratchet.

2 - Get a LONG bolt that is the same threads as your crank bolt.

3 - Put the BB tool onto the BB you want to remove

4 - Put the bolt into the tool and thread it into the axel. (Use washers or some other means to take ANY play out of the whole mess (but only finger tight). Use a large wrench to turn the BB cup.

Now, what you have done is made it impossible for you to slip and strip your BB shell. Once you get it broken free, take the bolt out and remove the BB cups as normal. The OTHER thing is to make sure you remove the NON-drive side first.

Also, if it is tight!! Take the bike OUT of a stand!!!! DO NOT really torque on a bike with the frame in a Park (or other) stand. I have seen more than one bike / seat post destroyed this way. Dont get that BB shell out only to see a crimp in your frame from the torque against the frame clamp.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply