Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frontal Exposure while biking
Quote | Reply
I have an aero/bike positioning question. A few years back we were told that it was more important to be narrow up front our our aerobars (hands and elbows) than it was to be low (head, chest and back). Now, we are told that our ebows can go out as wide as our hips because the hips have to cut through the air if they are not drafting behind the elbows. So, is it still important to have our hands together at the very front? What if they are as wide as our elbows? Is ther any benefit to bringing our elbows in closer than our hips? What about drafting our chest and head off of our hands (having the hands cut the air in front of our heads or at least block the chest area)?

Many thanks. DavidK
Quote Reply
Re: Frontal Exposure while biking [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read that the best place for your arms is if they are wide enough to be in front of your legs.... which means no more Scott Extreme bars .... anyone remember those neat looking one piece bars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Frontal Exposure while biking [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rember those bars. I can picture Lemond in an aero tuck with his hands together.

I realize that the elbow should cover the legs but wonder if the hands should be in front of the elbow or closer together.

DavidK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In most states frontal exposure gets you arrested no matter which leg of the triathlon.

My interpretation on Cobbs article and fitting in general is that the elbows should be as close together as possible without restricting breathing or cramping shoulder muscles. The elbows should not be wider than the width of mid-thigh.

Hands ideally would be together and level or slightly elevated to avoid creating a wind scoop effect.
Quote Reply