Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front wheel or rear wheel
Quote | Reply
Someone asked me yesterday if they only had money today for 1 new wheel (assume they had cassette) is the front wheel or rear wheel more influential on aerodynamics?

Told them to look at Craigslist, may get both, but think their plan is to buy new in phases and race over next 3-5 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel or rear wheel [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i dont think you're asking the question you really want answered. The bottom line is if you only do 1 wheel, do the rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It very much depend of what you already have.
What wheels do you already have ?
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel or rear wheel [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano rs11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero impact of front wheel is twice the impact of rear wheel. Because rear wheel is mostly hidden by the frame.

But front wheel you can only go to 80/90 mm.
55/60 mm more reasonable, because in some cases you will encounter wind.

Rear wheel you can go up to lenticular, which is great because it re-attach all turbulences.

With RS11, and changing one only, not sure if going 60mm front (strange look) or lenticular rear bring the more improvement, but for sure for the price of a lenticular you can probably by a nice pair of reasonnably priced 60mm (such as Giant SLR 0 Aero or Head 6, ...).
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel or rear wheel [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:
i dont think you're asking the question you really want answered. The bottom line is if you only do 1 wheel, do the rear.

I don't think it's this straightforward. Maybe someone with more real world aero experience will chime in.

Used to be you'd buy the front. The handling is more sketch if you buy only a front aero wheel as the rear aero wheel tends to move the side force or felt side force back whereas the front does the opposite.

But, since it's the leading edge the rule of thumb used to be buy the front first then the rear. Used to be, back in the day of 32 spoke 3-cross wheels. Since most wheels now are somewhat deeper rimmed with fewer radially laced spokes, it may have changed.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a deep front and a wheel cover for the rear, best of both worlds.....
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel or rear wheel [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all...I'll pass along
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Follow Cameron Wurf's advice get a 40-50mm front because going with a deep wheel in front is more susceptible to crosswinds...so get a 40mm for all conditions..and done!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel or rear wheel [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn that guy can bike...next year they are going to have to check his competitors for motorized bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he said regarding Jan "if you want to really learn how to ride a bike ride for 6 years on the World Tour like I did" so yeah he can ride like crazy. If he cuts 10 minutes off his run...hes really dangerous.....I know easier said than done.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply