Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front wheel for training
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I need a front wheel for training. At the moment my baseline is a DT Swiss RR 465 wheel from wheelbuilder.com ($330) (+ I have a matching rear wheel).

Before going for it I wanted to see what you guys think about these wheels, and what other options you would consider.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Birgi
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for training [birgi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For lots of folks a cheap, bombproof wheel for training is just the ticket. This sums up the stock wheels that come with many tri bikes (and then folks get the racing wheels of their choice).

Personally, I have a pair of Mavic Ksyriums from 2003 that I think cost $350 new. For a front wheel only, you can get a Neuvation wheel for $150, or a pair of takeoff stock wheels in the classifieds for ~$200.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for training [birgi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use any old thing, they are all 100mm width. Just make sure the cones & bearings are cleaned & greased, and nicely adjusted.
No point throwing money at a training wheel that could be used for, say, buying beer.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for training [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
Use any old thing, they are all 100mm width. Just make sure the cones & bearings are cleaned & greased, and nicely adjusted.
No point throwing money at a training wheel that could be used for, say, buying beer.
Very very hard to argue with logic like this, however, when your old bomb wheel starts snapping spokes (as mine did recently), I had to cut back on beer and bought a 6700 ultegra front wheel off wiggle for ~$150.
Its road tubeless so you dont need to worry about using rim tape, spin great and ride wheel. Much nicer than the easton vista it replaced.
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for training [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all!
Quote Reply