Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front Derailluer Question
Quote | Reply
Ok, I saw the question on the rear Derailluer and thought I'd ask a question about the front. Last weekend toward the end of a quite long and tough ride I shift to the small chainring, it didn't shift real smooth and then after that the Derailluer wouldn't move far enough to shift back up to the big chain ring - sort of likr the cable lengthened or something. So, I get back put it on the stand, look it over real good, and it still won't shift over far enough to move the chain to the big chain ring. I can't figure out what the devil happened. So, I figure I just loosen the outside adjustment srcew and now it is just fine. But, I still can't figure out what happened. I'm no wrench but I do take pretty good care of my stuff. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Front Derailluer Question [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once I had a kink in my cable. . .the root problem was an improperly installed shifter (my fault) caused asimilar problem. Cables in good shape?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooo, Ooo, I know the answer to this one. 5 will get you ten I bet that the cable slipped from the clinching bold on the front derailleur. Check to make sure that the bolt on the cable is not stripped. This happened during a race this season. Im not sure how it happened, but it happened. Take a look at the bolt to make sure that it does not happen again, especially during a race. Take care.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Stephen,

Ya, that was my first thought. I checked that but it didn't look like it had slipped, and loosening the adjusting bolt fixed the problem, which wouldn't have happened if the cable slipped or had a kink(i don't think). This one really has me stumped.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are your shifters? It's possible that the actual shifting mechanics are worn out and you can't see it. Try a new cable and front derailleur adjustment and if that doesn't take care of it, I suggest you start shopping for a left side shifter on eBay.

Sean
Quote Reply