Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Frodeno moving to Nike Next%?
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this has been posted but just saw it on Insta but Jan is leaving Asics and if you read comments testing what he will run in next... Will be interesting if he starts running in Nike. Just sayin...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B70OwiBiOB7/

Also interested in exactly what '#3 more' means??? Lets hope three more Konas...
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jan 27, 20 1:57
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be interesting to say the least...

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least we could make some true comparisons or create some discussion based on his previous times. We are all looking at elite runners so would be awesome to see the elite Ironman in them and determine if it is truely the shoe or the hype behind it???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you argue along that line than the next step is to determine if what is true for elite runners and elite ironman runners (is there really much difference between the two?), is also true for non-elite runners and non-elite triathletes. I think by now it is proven that the shoes are faster than shoes from previous generations, at least for fast runners (whether they are elite runners or elite triathletes).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He will likely run in whatever company offers him the most cheddar.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just assume Hoka as they seem open to sponsoring the entire Pro field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ha ha!

Jan's probably in a position that he perhaps could just forgo any formal relationship with a shoe company, and wear and run in any shoe he likes.

We even see this happening in high performance running. Other than the absolute A-List runners (Kipchoge et al), most runners are not really getting a lot of $ from a shoe sponsor. So wear the shoe that they feel will really work for them. The data and info is that the Vaporfly right now is the most efficient (and all things equal- fastest), shoe on the market now. That's why the front pack at big marathons in the last year have been - all Vaporfly shoes!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Ha ha!

Jan's probably in a position that he perhaps could just forgo any formal relationship with a shoe company, and wear and run in any shoe he likes.

We even see this happening in high performance running. Other than the absolute A-List runners (Kipchoge et al), most runners are not really getting a lot of $ from a shoe sponsor. So wear the shoe that they feel will really work for them. The data and info is that the Vaporfly right now is the most efficient (and all things equal- fastest), shoe on the market now. That's why the front pack at big marathons in the last year have been - all Vaporfly shoes!

i agree with you. that said, it seems to me that the new ASICS flats are easily the speed of the nikes. but with the fluid nature of the run shoe market right now, i could also see him just forgoing a shoe deal. or, ASICS might have chosen to forgo triathlon. also, jan may have chosen to forgo triathlon. if i was to be forced to choose, i'd wager he'll retire in 2020 from professional triathlon. but i have no inside info.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also, jan may have chosen to forgo triathlon. if i was to be forced to choose, i'd wager he'll retire in 2020 from professional triathlon. but i have no inside info.

Agreed - we are near the end.

Some had speculated that had he won Kona and set the course record, 3 years ago, that might have been it right there - what else would he need to do? He could walk away as a GOAT in the sport of triathlon! However, fate intervened and for 2 years - and he either did not make it to Kona or had injury issues flare up during the race.

Now after last October he has achieved the speculated ultimate goals - another win in Kona and secured the course record. But not retirement notice as yet. But lot's of shots of ski touring this winter in the "Off Season" on his Insta feed, so perhaps he's found a new passion! :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, he must be near the end.

I think I saw that he’s doing Roth again this year.....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago I read about a guy in San Diego area (or Boulder?) that would re-brand shoes for pro triathletes. He would make a ASICS shoe look like a Nike or whatever. The athlete wore shoe of choice while by all appearance was wearing the sponsors shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he is going to partner with crocs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
also, jan may have chosen to forgo triathlon. if i was to be forced to choose, i'd wager he'll retire in 2020 from professional triathlon. but i have no inside info.

Some had speculated that had he won Kona and set the course record, 3 years ago, that might have been it right there - what else would he need to do? He could walk away as a GOAT in the sport of triathlon! However, fate intervened and for 2 years - and he either did not make it to Kona or had injury issues flare up during the race.

Now after last October he has achieved the speculated ultimate goals - another win in Kona and secured the course record. But not retirement notice as yet. But lot's of shots of ski touring this winter in the "Off Season" on his Insta feed, so perhaps he's found a new passion! :-)

His instagram post specifically said he was not retiring in 2020, and he hastagged it with #3more

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he is going to partner with crocs

Maybe not a bad move!

They keep saying it's all about the midsole foam!

https://people.com/...s-marathon-in-crocs/

Maybe Crocs were ahead of the game on this :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
Fleck wrote:

His instagram post specifically said he was not retiring in 2020, and he hastagged it with #3more

70.3 being after Kona is perfect for jan,

3 more is probably, KONA, some IM to validate kona, andmaybe Roth once more?
Or just frankfuet, kona and 70.3 worlds.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could mean 3 more races. I don't think he'll race 3 more years as a pro.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His son has to start school in September so his nomadic lifestyle won’t sit comfortably with family life after this season.

I think 3 more is 1 x IM for validation, Roth and Kona.

He said today he is still testing shoes and not made his mind up. Hoka?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
At least we could make some true comparisons or create some discussion based on his previous times. We are all looking at elite runners so would be awesome to see the elite Ironman in them and determine if it is truely the shoe or the hype behind it???

I disagree, times in triathlon even for running are quite irrelevant year to year. Unless frodo does roth again which is I would assume, the only place he aims to go against the clock rather than competitors, I doubt we would get any solid (publicly available) data.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having run in both the Carbon X and the Next%, I have a hard time believing anyone would elect to wear the Carbon X's over the Next%. Not that the Carbon X is a bad shoe, the Next% is just better.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Years ago I read about a guy in San Diego area (or Boulder?) that would re-brand shoes for pro triathletes. He would make a ASICS shoe look like a Nike or whatever. The athlete wore shoe of choice while by all appearance was wearing the sponsors shoes.

Yes - used to happen decent amount in cycling to - it would say "Trek" on the bike, but clearly it was not a bike in the Trek line-up!

There is less and less of that now.

Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Ha ha!

i agree with you. that said, it seems to me that the new ASICS flats are easily the speed of the nikes. but with the fluid nature of the run shoe market right now, i could also see him just forgoing a shoe deal. or, ASICS might have chosen to forgo triathlon. also, jan may have chosen to forgo triathlon. if i was to be forced to choose, i'd wager he'll retire in 2020 from professional triathlon. but i have no inside info.

From the tone of his post, it sounds like ASICS is dropping him or triathlon. Given his performance and general marketability...I don’t think they’re dropping him.

2c,

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Yes - used to happen decent amount in cycling to - it would say "Trek" on the bike, but clearly it was not a bike in the Trek line-up!

There is less and less of that now.

Yes, at first we had CSC “look” P3’s and also US postal “trek” light speed blades! Amongst many others.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's also possible the current contract was just too pricey and they didn't want to renew it. If it was structured in a 5 year period with bonuses building on previous years, they may have gotten in over their head.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno moving to Nike Next%? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Having run in both the Carbon X and the Next%, I have a hard time believing anyone would elect to wear the Carbon X's over the Next%. Not that the Carbon X is a bad shoe, the Next% is just better.

Agreed.
Quote Reply

Prev Next