Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Freshwater, Non Wetsuit Races? (Ironman or IM 70.3)
Quote | Reply
I've done done a couple of quick searches and come up empty handed - figured someone helpful here would guide me. I'm looking for every swimmers dream - a freshwater, almost guaranteed to be non wetsuit legal Ironman/70.3 race. Anyone have a list or know of any?
Quote Reply
Re: Freshwater, Non Wetsuit Races? (Ironman or IM 70.3) [RoryB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muncie is often non wetsuit. The water isn’t salty, but I hesitate to call it “fresh” I really don’t want to know the goose poop content in that reservoir

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Freshwater, Non Wetsuit Races? (Ironman or IM 70.3) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, sounds incredibly appealing! Thanks for helping me out! Appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must it be IM?

Miami Man has recently been non wetsuit 4 of 5 years. Maybe more?

And it’s otherwise very flat (but windy) so the uber bikers and runners have less of an advantage.
Quote Reply
Re: Freshwater, Non Wetsuit Races? (Ironman or IM 70.3) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Muncie is often non wetsuit. The water isn’t salty, but I hesitate to call it “fresh” I really don’t want to know the goose poop content in that reservoir

That's a drinking water reservoir, so think about that for a moment. :)

I haven't done Muncie in several years, but I don't ever remember it being wetsuit legal. That water is usually in the mid 80's, warmer than most swimming pools. The problem is you are swimming back directly into the sun, and at that time of year and time of the day it is brutal. Sighting is nearly impossible. You have to triangulate off markers to the sides, and if you have never done that before it is not easy.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Freshwater, Non Wetsuit Races? (Ironman or IM 70.3) [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have been more specific - full or 1/2 distance races - doesn't have to be Ironman branded. Thanks for the heads up on Miami Man. Will check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Western Sydney 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Chattanooga has never been wetsuit legal, the swim is in the Tennessee River.
Quote Reply
Re: Freshwater, Non Wetsuit Races? (Ironman or IM 70.3) [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have known that - I had athletes at WC there in 2017. Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Freshwater, Non Wetsuit Races? (Ironman or IM 70.3) [Slunnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slunnie wrote:
Western Sydney 70.3

Cheers. Looks like a fun race in the Regatta competition lake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steelhead has been non-wetsuit 2 out of the last 3 years but moving to June I’m guessing we’ll be swimming in neoprene again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Augusta 70.3 is a fast, down current swim and has been non wetsuit legal the last 3 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toughman SC (half) in Sept generally is not wesuit legal. Nice lake swim and gentle rollers on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Logan and White Lake in North Carolina. White Lake has one in the spring and late summer/fall. Not sure about the wetsuit status in the spring, but I would say that has a higher chance of being wetsuit so check the other one.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Freshwater, Non Wetsuit Races? (Ironman or IM 70.3) [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
IM Chattanooga has never been wetsuit legal, the swim is in the Tennessee River.

In 2017 it was in the "wetsuit optional but you start last and don't count" category and it looked like about a third of the participants still wore wetsuits. Blew my mind that you would spend that much money, time, and effort to start last with no chance of placing just to wear a wetsuit and over heat in the swim.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Freshwater, Non Wetsuit Races? (Ironman or IM 70.3) [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
mbwallis wrote:

In 2017 it was in the "wetsuit optional but you start last and don't count" category and it looked like about a third of the participants still wore wetsuits. Blew my mind that you would spend that much money, time, and effort to start last with no chance of placing just to wear a wetsuit and over heat in the swim.

I’m guessing those 1/3 probably had no intentions on trying to podium and just wanted to finish

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Florida/Haines City 70.3 is often not wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoryB wrote:
I should have been more specific - full or 1/2 distance races - doesn't have to be Ironman branded. Thanks for the heads up on Miami Man. Will check it out.

IM70.3 Florida - Haines City. "Fresh" water. Typically not wetsuit legal but all depends on the weather the week before the race. Next one is on April 14, 2019 so I'm betting no wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoryB wrote:
I should have known that - I had athletes at WC there in 2017. Thanks for the help.

Except they declared it to be wetsuit-legal that day (I am skeptical that it actually was though)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a question on non-wetsuit 70.3s. What do you wear on the swim? Swim skin? Put on trisuit in T1? I am not sure I am flexible enough to put on a trisuit over a wet body in T1.
Quote Reply
Re: Freshwater, Non Wetsuit Races? (Ironman or IM 70.3) [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
Lake Logan and White Lake in North Carolina. White Lake has one in the spring and late summer/fall. Not sure about the wetsuit status in the spring, but I would say that has a higher chance of being wetsuit so check the other one.

Lake Logan is generally (always?) wetsuit legal.

White Lake is almost guaranteed to be wetsuit legal in the spring. In the fall, its more iffy.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply