Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Freestyle Pulling Motion
Quote | Reply
Hope you don't mind me jumping in occasionally. The freestyle pulling motion is tricky. You all know or should know about the correct pulling motion for any freestyle swim over 100 meters-the high elbow pull or early vertical forearm EVF. Looking at this picture of Katie Ledecky's arm pulling motion (attached) makes me slightly ill. How does she do it? Or better, why does she do it? The simple answer is to reduce frontal drag, not to increase propulsion, nor for more power.

The correct (distance) freestyle pulling motion requires entering the hands directly in front of the shoulder. Fingers and thumb squeezed together, wrists in alignment with forearms. If the stroke rate is slow enough (hip-driven hybrid technique on the breath side) turn the little pinky down after hand entry, while pushing the hand forward (reduces drag by 6.6% at 2.3 m/sec compared to palm down). When initiating the catch, flip the hand back over to palm down (if you have slow stroke rate) separate the fingers and thumb slightly to increase the effective surface area of the hand. The only two forces that will really help you get faster are downward (lift) and backward (propulsion). Lift forces help reduce drag. Propulsion moves you forward. So press downward with the opened hand while keeping the elbow high, hand just inside the elbow. In other words, try to keep the upper arm as close to your line of motion as possible. This requires internally rotating the shoulder while pressing down. DO NOT INITIATE THE HIGH ELBOW PULL WITH AN OUT SWEEP (which I see all too often among triathletes). The out sweeping hand leads to more frontal drag and less propulsion. As the hand presses down with the elbow up, it will reach a point about a foot or so under the water when it will begin moving backward. Try to push it nearly straight backward, just inside the elbow an inch or two, without allowing it to slip in or IN SWEEP. Do as Aaron Piersol used to say about his pull in backstroke- "Grip it and rip it". How hard you press the hand out the back and rotate the hip on the release depends on which technique you are using. You should only do that with hip-driven or hybrid freestyle techniques. With shoulder-driven technique..which theoretically, most of you should be using since very few of you can really kick fast, focus on getting your propulsion through the front and early back quadrant and then release to get your hand back out in front. You need the higher RPM to make up for your lack of kicking speed and distance per stroke (DPS). Your velocity is Stroke Rate x DPS. BTW, if you want to use higher SR, then you better train more and with higher SR. Otherwise, you won't sustain it.

Here are some things you likely don't know about the pulling motion:

1. Lift and Propulsion forces are mostly from Newtonian mechanics, not Bernoulli effect.
2. Hand must be moving backward relative to the water to generate propulsion
3. Forces directed inward or outward with the hand will make you zig-zag and lose propulsion- not helpful
4. The speed of the hand entry of the recovering arm is directly tied to the speed of the shoulder rotation- both powerful coupling motions for your pull.
5. Therefore, focus on driving the recovering hand and arm hard to the water (fully extended). The fast shoulder rotation comes with it. It is the only BOGO I know of in the sport of swimming. Too many swimmers enter their arms like a modern toilet seat with a spring hinge on it.
6. Recover your elbow to an imaginary string going straight upward from your shoulders. If you get your elbow up to that string, you will be rotating your upper body extremely well.
7. Relax your wrist and hand during the early recovery phase (ascent to the string). It is your only opportunity to chill out during the pulling cycle, so give your arm a chance to recover. Every great freestyler does that. I call it the magic of the relaxed wrist.
8. The arm is a class III lever with a mechanical advantage of about 1/30...in other words, it offers no mechanical advantage to a swimmer
9. By using the high elbow pull, we bring the hand closer to the fulcrum (shoulder joint), increasing the mechanical advantage....but it is still is far less than one, and still offers no mechanical advantage
10. While we may increase the mechanical advantage of the pulling arm with a high elbow pull, getting the hand closer to the shoulder joint, we decrease the biomechanical advantage of the pulling arm with that pulling motion- we use more scapula muscle and less lat and pec muscle, compared to a deeper pull.
11. The deeper pulling motion has a biomechanical advantage but the burden of the increased pulling force required to move your hand through the water and the increased frontal drag caused by the upper arm being more out of alignment with your motion (all occurring in the front quadrant) are not worth the trade. The deeper pulling motion will simply chew you up and spit you out. Leave that one for the sprinters.
12. Learn to pull (and rotate your body) correctly using the one arm drill, fins on, other hand at your side. Until you get the pulling motion right, you won't go much faster
13. Remember that of all the ten (or so) critical distance freestyle techniques that we teach at The Race Club, the highest three in priority are 1. High elbow pull 2. High elbow pull and 3. High elbow pull.

If you want to learn more about the freestyle pulling motion and other swimming techniques, check out our book, Fundamentals of Fast Swimming. You can get it on Amazon, our website or just about any other on line book store. Thanks for allowing me to blog a bit.

Gary Sr.
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 24, 21 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [gary sr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear Gary Sr. Thanks for coming in here to ST and providing this free advice. It is greatly appreciated.

How deep down in the water can the elbow be at the front of the catch relative to shoulder as long as you get to EVF?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for jumping back in here Gary, been awhile. And all of your descriptions make a lot of sense, but the only one that I will now have to discard is the outward sweep it appears. I kind of had a feeling about this when they finally discovered that it was more body roll than hand sweep, that made it appear the hand was moving out/back to center/ then out again. But makes sense to keep the body/hand line tight as possible, and press down right away, not outward.

Thanks again, still using the breathing pattern religiously. Actually it is a requirement at my altitude pool and now 65 years old, can't really remember the breath every stroke pattern other than the first couple 100's when warming up..
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Paul,

It is a game of millimeters. Katie's elbow stays about an inch under the water, but most swimmers (including me) can't get there. As the elbow drops, the propulsion might increase, but so does the frontal drag. In swimming, reducing drag trumps increasing power...on any distance over a 50 meter sprint. Practice on land thinking about pointing your elbow at the far end of the pool as you press down. Get on top of the hand with the elbow. Feels weird, but for drag purposes, the higher the elbow, the better.

Gary Sr.
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to help out, Monty. Love that oxygen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost forgot, we have a great thread going on about the world class triathlete Lucy Charles going on here;

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ic_Trials!_P7495867/

Here is her actual swim and race, have look if you have time and let us know what you think;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSnmmLp0xE

She obviously comes from a swimming background, but is a perennial 2nd place finisher in Kona the past few years, poised to take the top spot some day soon. But she just swam her Olympic trials in the 1500(British) and nearly won the dam thing, 17/100's off in a final sprint. But my main comment about her great swim was that she breaths every 4th stroke, and how much she was probably losing holding her breath for so long. I mean, even the backwards ladies are still only swimming with an alternate 3 stroke pattern, and most are like the men doing every stroke.

Someone must have told her about the thread, and she answered me back!! Her take on this pattern is that she has trained with it and found it to be optimal, giving up the O2 for the increased hydrodynamic. Personally I think that hydrodynamic has been way overblown, since the 1960's really. And watching top swimmers now, most are breathing every stroke in the 100's even, and I have seen many now use your 3/2 pattern, like Sun Yang and some other distance guys.

I'm not going to argue with her, it would be like giving relationship advice, no one ever listens. But perhaps from someone of your stature, just hinting that perhaps there was at least 17/100's in that 1500 race if she just breathed normally. (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is such a helpful post! i did not appreciate the subtle difference between correct evf and getting too much outsweep... which now that i see it helps me better understand the connection to rotation. thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:
this is such a helpful post! i did not appreciate the subtle difference between correct evf and getting too much outsweep... which now that i see it helps me better understand the connection to rotation. thanks!

I think what he and Monty are saying is the outsweep is not relative to the water, the outsweep is relative to the body, but the body rotation make the outsweep happen but that outsweep is relative to the body. The water sees a straight back pull resulting in less drag.

Imagine a butterfly or breast outsweep relative to body and water. That outsweep is aparent because your chest and belly button are pointing to the floor. Now cut your body in half and have the belly button kind of point to the side wall of the pool. You still do the outsweep, but it is almost straight down (because where chest and bellow button is pointing) right before going into the EVF which now ends up in a lower drag position.

Maybe Gary Sr can comment if I am visualizing this correctly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you or Gary have any videos demonstrating any of this? I really doubt I'm succeeding in imagining what your describing, just by reading the text.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice to see an expert share some tricks.
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't be putting me in the same grouping as Gary...I am just a student trying to figure this out.

OK what about this. Lay with your chest on a exercise ball chest down and do a butterfly stroke with just your right arm.
Now do the exact same arm motion with your right arm but this time balance on your right hip

Look at what your arm does relative to the air doing the exact same arm motion but with your body oriented to he side vs oriented flat.

I THINK this is what happens. Its not that the pull is exactly straight back, but once you throw in the body rotation, it is straight back but relative to the body you still have a small outsweep
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a bunch of free videos on Youtube (and Lane 1 on our subscription). Or you can take a deeper dive and subscribe to Lane 2 or Lane 3. Lane 3 now has over 300 videos...many on freestyle technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Gary,

What are your thoughts on the interconnectedness of Scapular / Shoulder mobility and the High Elbow you talk of?

Is not the capacity to achieve the high elbow constrained by shoulder/scapula mobility in conjunction with rotation/timing?

What I have seen with many triathletes is the "limited capacity" as shown above, am not saying this cannot be developed but it way less than swimmers 95% of time. I have observed in good swimmers the point of commencement of High Elbow with their rotation is such that the angle shown above in red is quite closed (extension and retraction).

Triathletes lacking the mobility to internally rotate the shoulder at that High Elbow commencement due to closure of the above angle seem to resolve the only way to address this is by changing the timing of their stroke in relation to their rotation.

Is this an appropriate way to consider the constraints around what you are saying?

Many thanks,

David

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Last edited by: tilburs: Apr 24, 21 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tilburs, do you think this limitation is something that is specific to triathletes or something that is trainable with enough yards. The reason I say this is because like with any agility sport, eventually you have to morph your body to be able to handle the range of motion for the outer edge of performance in that sport: yoga, golf, tennis, badminton, pole vault, high jump. It does not really matter what the sport is, generally most people can eventually morph their bodies with enough training to conform to the needs of the sport.

Maybe the problem for most anyone trying to get good in any sport that requires range of motion is that there is not enough practice at full range under load. Think of the range of a wide receiver vs most running backs and what they can do in the air with their bodies. But most of that is trained, its not a real limitation. The running back could have likely been equally agile had he trained over time for the position.

I think a lot of the hip, shoulder, arm and neck range of motion needed in swimming is totally trainable with enough pool time. After every lockdown, it has literally taken me 6 weeks just to get range of motion back to get to enough water feel, and this is swimming 7x per week 3-7km per day. But that was to just get back to pre lockdown, not even get ahead.

But some elite swimmer range is kind of like gymnast range in a different way. Some bodies may never get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience is also that triathletes are more limited in shoulder and scapular rotational flexibility. They usually cannot get into a good tight streamline position, like most swimmers do. Extension, internal rotation and scapular rotation can all be improved with stretching on a regular basis.

Getting a high elbow like Katie is unlikely for any of us, but getting the elbow higher and upper arm more in alignment with our line of motion is always possible!

Gary Sr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An out sweep is just that. The palm turns outward and the hand presses in an outward direction ending up outside of the elbow. it often happens opposite the breath to try to gain more leverage for the rotation..but it can be on either side, or both sides. Most elite freestylers keep the hand just inside the elbow., pressing down then back. From the side, you never see the palms of their hands.

While the hand takes a more circuitous route (from the side) in its path backward, the side to side excursion ( from th frontal view) should be minimal.

Gary Sr
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Imagine what kind of swimmer Lionel could be if he had accepted the offer to be coached by Gary Sr 5 years ago?.... Could have been a game changer back then.
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The offer still stands! Lionel has or had a bad out sweep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary sr wrote:
The offer still stands! Lionel has or had a bad out sweep.

Can that bad outsweep be reduced by better hip and shoulder rotation (swimming flat like a flier you'll gravitate to doing that because you grab water off to the side with forearm, but with the body rotation being better that hand goes straight down and back and all the grabbing of water happens in line of travel)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul,

Most swimmers don't even realize that they are outsweeping and it often occurs during the breath with the opposite hand (out of sight, out of mind).

The best device I have found for correcting the out sweep is the ISO paddle made by Finis (we sell on our website, also). Yellow paddle goes on the left hand, gray paddle on the right hand. These paddles have a little curved flange on the side that makes outsweeping more difficult.

Use these paddles with the one arm drill, then swim with them on. Focus on keeping fingers pointed at the opposite end of the pool with wrist straight. Initiate pull by pressing down, not out.

Gary Sr.
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [dirtbag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtbag wrote:
Nice to see an expert share some tricks.

expert, eh? what could this gary fellow possibly know about swimming? i mean, this is slowtwitch, after all, and dammit it takes a lot to impress me.

but seriously, it's something i love about this place. i remember having a laugh with simon lessing on here, years ago, when i was a 24-year-old dirtbag living the dream. maybe that's something to celebrate about tri still being relatively "unpopular" - i promise lebron doesn't jump onto the basketball message boards and answer questions there.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good post.

IMO two words, (at least as it relates to AG triathlete onset swimming)

Pectoris minor

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Apr 25, 21 12:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have those mini paddles from hell and I always feel I am cupping with my thumb to keep them from flying off. What am I likely doing incorrectly with them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Gary, thanks for jumping on here.

What about the picture of Katie makes you ill? Is it bad form or is it that she’s able to rotate her arm so well that it looks contorted? Or is it something else?

I’m trying to figure out if your ill feeling is criticism or praise.

Jason
Last edited by: Jason AZ: Apr 25, 21 16:41
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [Jason AZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It makes me ill that I cannot do it! Like watching a contortionist. Wish I could!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next