Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frankenstein Helmet = Quarantine edition
Quote | Reply
In line with Evertlamb's post "Making my own bike parts - Quarantine edition" I decided to buy a new helmet that is more aero than my current one, as well as try to use the shield from my old Giro Air Attack.

In a nearby shop I found a Limar 007 in my size on sale for about $80.00. There are two more in black/green, and white/purple/teal in that shop but I went with just white/black/grey.

The Giro Air Attack shield has 3 magnets in the lense along the top, and there are 3 magnets in the Giro Helmet. The Limar 007 helmet has 2 holes that are just slightly closer together than the magnet locations on the Giro, by about 1/8" and the holes are quite a bit smaller than the magnet size. So, I bought some magnets for about $7.00 each, then drilled out the existing holes on the Limar helmet not only the same size as the new magnets, but about 1/8" wider to match the distance between them on the Giro.

After that, I had to drill the center hold so that the lense would be able to be flipped over and out of the way, as well as letting a small amount of airflow through the lense slits just below the edge of the helmet. After carefully measuring and flipping the lense over numerous times, I found the perfect place and drilled the hole for the final magnet.

The magnets in the helmet are so strong that they pulled the magnets out of the lense when I pulled the lense off, so I first had to glue the 3 strong magnets into the Limar helmet, then use a metal epoxy to reglue the magnets back into the lense. Now, if I get the lense anywhere near the front of the helmet it connects in place like the Ironman suit does to Tony Stark.

I can wear my usual sunglasses underneath the lense without problem, but the lense needs to be flipped up when putting on the helmet first because it is a tight fit. After wearing the helmet and sunglasses, then the lense can be flipped over.

Sorry for the small pics. I still have not been able to upload the original size pics no matter what I've tried.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: Frankenstein Helmet = Quarantine edition [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be careful wearing glasses under the visor. I used to do the same and often had condensation and fogging issues to the point where you can't see. My glasses were prescription so it was quite the predicament and had to stop doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on the referee, you may not be able to race with that helmet. I'm not aware of the rules in your country, but the two jurisdictions I've refereed then helmets must have a certification sticker and be unaltered. Drilling the helmet and gluing would, in my view, render that helmet as non-compliant.

Now I have zero reason to suggest that the changes you are making would weaken that helmet. But in part as I have no idea if it does or doesn't then I'd be applying the rules.

Eg "An alteration to any part of the helmet, including the chin strap, or the omission of any part of the helmet, including an outer cloth cover, is prohibited; " (from ITU, but also exactly same for TriNZ)
(also see https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...egulations_P1016408/)

Would a referee notice? Not sure, perhaps.
Are you 'cheating'. Probably not getting an advantage, but you are in breach of the rules.
But I'm just flagging to you so you are aware. If you do get stopped then at least it's not out the blue.

Again, just mentioning FYI and not passing judgement.
Quote Reply
Re: Frankenstein Helmet = Quarantine edition [evertlamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yeah, I had some fogging a few months ago with the lense on the Giro when doubling up with sunglasses, so lets see what the rainy and Summer season do to it. It's a hot and humid one today so we'll see what happens in this kind of weather.

Duncan, thank you also. I appreciate the safety concern and possible rule violation. I wouldn't be wearing it in a race, and it's not like I would be anywhere close enough to sniff a podium anyway unless they forgot to pack it up at the end of the day and I roll in past the cutoff point.

Quote Reply
Re: Frankenstein Helmet = Quarantine edition [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just finished a 60km ride with both the sunglasses on and shield lowered in 26C heat, 19km/h winds, 53% humidity and no fogging. I suppose with my head position, the slits in the lense near the top allows enough air to enter preventing fogging. Only a bit of sweat landed on the inside of the lense, but the best thing is that the magnets hold it on and won't let go.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks clean. Nice work.
Quote Reply
Re: Frankenstein Helmet = Quarantine edition [chirider990] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chi. Now it only has 2 magnets, L and R side, but I'll likely replace the center steel tic-tac sized steel rod with a magnet just to be safe.

Quote Reply