Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frame for a road bike build
Quote | Reply
I’m fresh off building a MTB. Okay, I’m not totally done but done enough to know I enjoyed it and am thinking of building up a road bike.

What frames should I consider, or what manufacturers? I can find frames from many of the big companies on Competitive Cyclist, etc. and I’m considering that route. But perhaps I should take advantage of my approach and buy from a company that doesn’t sell whole bikes or somehow specializes in frames.

By the way, while I do want to build it, I am conscious that I might need to buy the forks and perhaps headset/handlebars depending on how integrated I want to get.
Quote Reply
Re: Frame for a road bike build [smoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well... first you need to decide if you want an aero frame or a standard frame. Then, you need to decide if you want standard carbon or one of the frame maker's uppity carbon options. Then, realize that most of the top tier road frames are largely equivalent, and if you got a bunch of really aware pro-grade cyclists together, they probably would not reach a consensus on what is best. So, buy based on looks and availability. As a very easy starting point, pull the list of frames the grand tour teams are using. Then, add a few missing-but-popular frames to that to get your list. Then, decide which ones look the best to you fit your budget. My planetary favorite is the Pinarello Dogma. Buy that one. If you cannot afford that one, then pick another beautiful frame and go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are a few questions you have to answer first:
- What's your budget ?
- What will the bike be used for mainly ( road riding, training, racing, fast on flats, mostly hilly terrain, some dirt or gravel riding maybe, ...) ?
- What kind of "ride" do you prefer ( snappy lively feeling, stability, comfort, etc...) ?
- What "numbers" do you have ( bike fit), as many manufacturers have frame sizes that are better for long legged or short legged people, etc... ?
- What's your mechanic's skill level ? Some bikes are nice but the latest, more modern bikes ( like the "integrated everything" ones) require good mechanics skills, a complete tool box, and patience.
- Disc or rim brakes :-) ?

I'm sure I forget something else...since you mention "big companies", you probably won't go for some local craftsman, it can be a nice avenue for a "do-it-yourself-er" too...

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Frame for a road bike build [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m riding a Cannondale Super Six now and I will probably stick with that general geometry. Not aero. Budget is not too big of an issue. It will be for group rides, “event” rides (Eg, Assault on Mt Mitchell), and general fitness riding when I’m not on my tri bike. I put about 2K miles per year on my road bike (I also have a cross bike, mountain bike, and of course the tri bike).

My question is more whether there are specific brands or manufacturers that are out there that I might not be aware of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. There is nothing really revolutionnary that happened to road bikes for the last 10 yrs +. Lots of different essays with different materials on tube shapes, thicknesses, mixes or layups.
The latest trend the last couple years has been low seat stays, and disc brakes. Don't worry, all the bike brands will have such a frame model if not already on the market.
Choose what you like best.
If you like Cannondale, here's what the latest Supersix looks like (don't know if available as frame only though...)

LOuis :-)
Last edited by: louisn: Aug 24, 19 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve never owned a Specialized before but if I was in the market to build up a road bike right now, for various uses, I would probably go for an Allez Sprint frame. They have disc or rim brake options. It’s quite affordable. Reviews are positive. And it’s a really great looking frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot depends on what kind of riding you want to do.

If you’re into endurance stuff or climbing, I’d definitely be on the lookout for a trek Emonda SLR frame. You can build a bike up with that frame close to 15 pounds or less pretty easily.

If racing is more your style, I’d be after a Giant Propel or Trek Madone or Specialized Venge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some things to consider when looking at a frameset:

- what is the dropout interface, and will it work with the wheels you have, want to have, or the trainer you want to use.
- What is the seat tube shape/size, and will you be limited to specific brands for parts as a result (pretty much everyone these days with their aero-ish frames)?
- What headset is required, and even if it is from a major brand, is the specific size you need from that brand proprietary (i.e. Canyon)
- What is the headtube/topcap/stem interface
- Fork/headtube interface. Some frames will only work (or only look "normal") with the fork they were designed with because of the physical interface
Quote Reply
Re: Frame for a road bike build [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cup wrote:
I’ve never owned a Specialized before but if I was in the market to build up a road bike right now, for various uses, I would probably go for an Allez Sprint frame. They have disc or rim brake options. It’s quite affordable. Reviews are positive. And it’s a really great looking frame.

Just noticed they have all their LTD colors on the site, they look amazing. I currently have the red Hook crit from last year

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smoom wrote:
I’m riding a Cannondale Super Six now and I will probably stick with that general geometry. Not aero. Budget is not too big of an issue. It will be for group rides, “event” rides (Eg, Assault on Mt Mitchell), and general fitness riding when I’m not on my tri bike. I put about 2K miles per year on my road bike (I also have a cross bike, mountain bike, and of course the tri bike).

My question is more whether there are specific brands or manufacturers that are out there that I might not be aware of.

Jeebus. If you are going to build from a bare frame then don't buy a cookie cutter product popped out of a mold wherever Big Bike Co. can find the cheapest labor on the planet so you can show everyone you have no taste and no clue. Buy a Moots or a Baum or a Firefly or a Crumpton or an Indy Fab or a No 22 or etc. Call the people who will actually build your frame, talk with them, and specify what you want customized, even if it is just paint.
Quote Reply
Re: Frame for a road bike build [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
smoom wrote:

Jeebus. If you are going to build from a bare frame then don't buy a cookie cutter product popped out of a mold wherever Big Bike Co. can find the cheapest labor on the planet so you can show everyone you have no taste and no clue. Buy a Moots or a Baum or a Firefly or a Crumpton or an Indy Fab or a No 22 or etc. Call the people who will actually build your frame, talk with them, and specify what you want customized, even if it is just paint.

This is actually what I’ve been getting at. I know how to buy a bike and I know how to build one having just done it (by the way, getting the standards right is half the battle, the actual physical act of building is not that difficult). I’m looking for ideas of different makers. I’m familiar with Moots but not the others above. I’ll look them up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Approximately what size are you looking for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell me about your MTB build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smoom wrote:
I’m looking for ideas of different makers. I’m familiar with Moots but not the others above. I’ll look them up.
Aaaah, that is a totally different criteria. I have a Franco Balcom S. I really like it. Their Latigo, the successor to mine, is pretty spectacular. Looking for niche bike makers is a huge can of worms-- there are many, many.
Quote Reply
Re: Frame for a road bike build [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My size is 54 or Medium
Quote Reply
Re: Frame for a road bike build [big-w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big-w wrote:
Tell me about your MTB build.

Well that will probably open a can of worms but what the heck. I bought a Chinese carbon 29 inch hard tail frame from Ali Express. It is a generic frame, not a knock off of a brand. I mountain bike occasionally (my old one was stolen) so I didn’t want to spend a lot. I’ve been intrigued by the idea of a build. I figured this was a low risk way to give it a shot. It’s actually a pretty nice frame. Beautiful carbon fiber and up to date specs... through axle, internal routing... with the exception that it’s not Boost.

I bought an entire SLX group set from Competitive Cyclist. I put on Manitou front shocks. DT Swiss wheels. So far it’s been pretty straight forward but my last step is to run the rear brake line through the internal routing which means disconnecting it then reconnecting and bleeding. This is my first experience with hydraulics but my bike pals are a 6 pack away if I need help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to build something special and are not interested in racing it a bunch, I would certainly talk to one of the custom builders. Moots will make you a great Ti frame to you specific needs a Rob English makes some crazy steel bike and Parlee will do carbon.

There are also tons of cool boutique builders that can do really nice one-off frames. I would start by watching some of the youtube videos for the National Handmade Bike Show.

If I could only have one bike for the rest of my life it would probably be a Ti by with Campy.
Quote Reply