Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Formula for normalized graded pace
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I am trying to find a useful formula for normalized graded pace (the way that Training Peaks calculates it) in order to build a data screen for Garmin IQ Connect. Two of the fields I want are TSS and IF however, without a formula it is a non-starter. If I base it on Stryd power, I can make it happen but not everyone uses Stryd so I’d like to take that out of the equation. I’d like to get IF and rTTS based on PACE instead of IF and TTS based on Stryd power.
Does anyone have the “secret formula” ?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Formula for normalized graded pace [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not quite what you're looking for, but you might be interested in GoldenCheetah's implementation of xPace and GOVSS here: https://github.com/...rc/Metrics/GOVSS.cpp. I don't know how different the implementations of xPace and NormalizedGradedPace are, but they're at least attempting to measure the same thing, so it might be a good reference.
Quote Reply
Re: Formula for normalized graded pace [RunningChoux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will definitely take a look.
Thanks for the note!
Quote Reply
Re: Formula for normalized graded pace [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to find a useful formula for normalized graded pace (the way that Training Peaks calculates it) in order to build a data screen for Garmin IQ Connect. Two of the fields I want are TSS and IF however, without a formula it is a non-starter. If I base it on Stryd power, I can make it happen but not everyone uses Stryd so I’d like to take that out of the equation. I’d like to get IF and rTTS based on PACE instead of IF and TTS based on Stryd power.
Does anyone have the “secret formula” ?
Thanks!

Not sure this is "the" secret, but it seems to at least point to one secret - and it also suggests that you're on the right path with measuring from a foot-pod, too.

Attached are pics of pigs 23-24 from Triathlon 2.0 by Jim Vance - and from what I understand much of this book has informed Training Peaks (or vice versa).

From what I can tell the TP formula seems to involve use of GPS coords, then?

Sorry if this doesn't help, but I thought it was too close not to share if you haven't already seen it.

EDITED to include:
Quote:
Bear in mind that that not only changes in grade are used to calculate the physiologically relevant pace of NGP. As with NP in cycling, an exponential weighting step is utilized that is based on the relationship between intensity and lactate accumulation. So, not only is the NGP faster than the raw reported pace as a result of a positive grade, in some circumstances, an effort that has a component above the “threshold” will result in a more metabolically costly effort than indicated by the raw pace.

from https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...malized-graded-pace/ which seems to suggest a weighting of IF is included (which you might have already assumed or been asking for).

Travis
Last edited by: mrfreeze: Feb 25, 21 18:20
Quote Reply