Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Former Navy Seal in the middle of a Split Double-Deca
Quote | Reply
This is fascinating. Never heard of a double-deca before.

Excerpt from article:
Coronado resident and former Navy SEAL, Mark Blore, is currently attempting a Split Double Deca. A Split Double Deca combines the two types of Deca Ultra triathlons: the one per day format, followed by the classic format.

* One a Day (1×10) – consists of doing an Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run) each day for 10 consecutive days.
* Classic Deca (10×1) – consists of completing 10 times each regular distance (24 mile swim, 1120 mile bike, 262 mile run) and must be completed in 13 days.

Rules seem pretty strict. Blore started on October 27th and has already finished the first 10 IM. He has also completed the 24 mile swim of the classic deca and is now in the midst the bike portion (1120 miles). He is raising money for Lilly’s Warriors and the Navy Seal Foundation.

Full article: [urlhttps://coronadotimes.com/...o-split-double-deca/][/url]
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Nov 11, 18 1:19
Quote Reply
Re: Former Navy Seal in the middle of a Split Double-Deca [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow. This kind of stuff and ultra running seem so crazy to me, and I'm a decent Ironman finisher.

Good luck to him.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Former Navy Seal in the middle of a Split Double-Deca [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think so too. I become conflicted with how I think about this stuff when it comes to the ultra distances. I love the one day IM distance. I’ve also really liked the idea of multi-day adventure races. I think I struggle with what is too much and health concerns. From the little I was able to find on him, he is also listed as working in the medical field. So my guess is that also is a huge contributor to being able to take something like this on. In one of the pics he is munching on a hamburger in the pool. When just thinking about how he would train for something like this... my mind blows. I definitely have the utmost respect for what he is doing.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Nov 11, 18 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: Former Navy Seal in the middle of a Split Double-Deca [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can 9n partly train for such an event. 90% is mental.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's outstanding...but NOPE! That 10x1 sounds like death.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hats off, that's crazy inspirational. I'm cheering for him from here.

But how many squats does he do each day?
Quote Reply
Re: Former Navy Seal in the middle of a Split Double-Deca [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
That's outstanding...but NOPE! That 10x1 sounds like death.

Yes - those distances together are just unreal. I just can't imagine thinking okay I just finished this 1,120 mile bike leg and now all I have to do is run 242 miles. What?!

I found this link to list the current (few) registered athletes that are doing some form of the Deca. http://decamanusa.com/athletes/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And here I thought a split double deca was some kind of a big ass sandwich.
Seriously why would anyone want to do these crawlfests?

Trigirl357 wrote:

Excerpt from article:
Coronado resident and former Navy SEAL, Mark Blore, is currently attempting a Split Double Deca. A Split Double Deca combines the two types of Deca Ultra triathlons: the one per day format, followed by the classic format.

* One a Day (1×10) – consists of doing an Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run) each day for 10 consecutive days.
* Classic Deca (10×1) – consists of completing 10 times each regular distance (24 mile swim, 1120 mile bike, 262 mile run) and must be completed in 13 days.

Rules seem pretty strict. Blore started on October 27th and has already finished the first 10 IM. He has also completed the 24 mile swim of the classic deca and is now in the midst the bike portion (1120 miles). He is raising money for Lilly’s Warriors and the Navy Seal Foundation.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Former Navy Seal in the middle of a Split Double-Deca [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
Hats off, that's crazy inspirational. I'm cheering for him from here.

But how many squats does he do each day?

...and is Ashley Horner his coach?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:

Excerpt from article:

Awesome. And he is adhering to a great set of rules. Is there any tracking or Strava for this? I think he's through the toughest part - the 10x1. I think the 1 x 10 may not be as tough because there is not a minimum daily distance (right?).

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Former Navy Seal in the middle of a Split Double-Deca [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Awesome. And he is adhering to a great set of rules. Is there any tracking or Strava for this? I think he's through the toughest part - the 10x1. I think the 1 x 10 may not be as tough because there is not a minimum daily distance (right?).

The 1x10 requires you to do a full Ironman within 24 hours for 10 days straight. The 10x1 gives you 13 days to accomplish the whole distance. I have to imagine the bike leg absorbs a vast majority of those days. The Deca triathlets follow the IUTA rules.

Here are the basics:
  • Swim: Indoor or outdoor, pool or open water allowed, wetsuit allowed, no fins or other accessories to aid in propulsion.
  • Bike: Must be outdoor, no drafting, no trainers, and no ellipticals.
  • Run: Indoor or outdoor, no treadmills, no pacers and no aid in forward momentum by others.
  • 24 hour clock for the One-a-Day and 13 days for the Classic.
I have been looking around but I haven't found anything on his progress. He did not overly advertise himself except setting up his two charity donation pages. I found out through triathlete friends in San Diego who know him. It's possible he wasn't going to do a lot of fundraising until after he finished. I also think the organization is following/verifying his accomplishments and may be protecting it from the public.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Nov 11, 18 17:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow...Indoor tracks would get boring.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

The 1x10 requires you to do a full Ironman within 24 hours for 10 days straight. The Deca triathlets follow the IUTA rules.

Here are the basics:
  • Swim: Indoor or outdoor, pool or open water allowed, wetsuit allowed, no fins or other accessories to aid in propulsion.
  • Bike: Must be outdoor, no drafting, no trainers, and no ellipticals.
  • Run: Indoor or outdoor, no treadmills, no pacers and no aid in forward momentum by others.
  • 24 hour clock for the One-a-Day and 13 days for the Classic.

That's what I meant by 10x1... And he's already done that portion. Does the single triathlon 10 times the length of an Ironman have a time limit?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Former Navy Seal in the middle of a Split Double-Deca [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes - I updated what I said as you replied. Yes he has a full 13 days to get the 24 mile swim, 1120 mile bike and 262 mile run finished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:

Excerpt from article:

Navy Seals seems #soft

I bet Ashley Horner could do 50 Classic Deca 10x1 if she only wanted to, she can do it everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If someone can conceive of it, someone will do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the well wishes. For what it is worth, I was able to complete the goal. Boring details below.

Typically the races include either 1 X a day format, or the Continuous (also called the Classic). Rules follow IUTA which is a similar organization to USAT but much smaller. Hours vary from 17-24 depending on RD for the 1X, and typically 12-14 days for the Classic.

Idea came about while completing, not to be confused with competing, in the DECA Mexico race in 2017. Inevitably the discussion always comes up as to which format is harder. I was asking fellow racers and of course everyone has a slightly different take as to which is harder and why. There was some discussion about the upcoming DECAMANUSA race for 2018 and a Double Deca in Mexico for 2019. I knew the Double had been done in both formats and a triple had been finished in the 1X. After finishing the Classic that year I thought, "I wonder if anyone has ever done both formats, but in a row." I called the RD's I knew and no one had.

The Past: Really nothing special. Started small triathlons and worked my way up to Iron. Fastest time 10:59. Discovered I like seeing how far I could go instead of how fast I could go. Moved on to Ultra runs and Ultra Tri. Completed the Double, Quintuple and DECA over approx. 6yrs. Goal for years was to complete a DECA in the USA.

I DNF'd the DECA 1X format in Switzerland, only finishing 7, and I completed the Classic in Mexico in 12 days. My nutrition was a disaster in Switz. and my feet and legs got destroyed in Mexico. I spent most of 2018 focusing on changing my run to a 4 min. jog, 1 min. walk. and moving my diet to all real foods while training (no gels, no powdered mixes, no salt, etc.).

I wanted to race with my friends in New Orleans for DecaMan 2018 so I decided the rules would have to be the exact same for both formats as the official race except I would be starting 10 days prior to everyone else. Official race began on Nov. 6, and I started my 1X on Oct.. 27. I ended up with about 3 hours of sleep from finishing day 10 and showing up to the Pool for the start of the official 24 mile swim. I finished the Classic in under the allotted 13 days thus "working out for 23 days straight."

A few answers to questions:

I am 50 and live in San Diego. I probably have crossed paths with you at sometime if yo live near by.
Have a wife and family and work in construction full time. Plus 2 dogs.
I am not in the medical field. I have visted the ER a lot though.
My training is very unstructured and actually minimal compared to others. That is why I am slow!
My info. is all public-facebook, Strava, Garmin, etc. Wahoo converts to Strava but not always.
I am hoping to send all the details to Derek at marathon investigation for confirmation.
I raised money for two charities and had no sponsors except Perky Jerky who sent a box of Beef Jerky and am a member of the DeSoto Ambassador program.
Next big event will be 2020-"TransAm Tri."

I am happy to share any other details although I am not a frequent Slowtwitch visitor. I appreciate all the comments.
Thanks, Mark

"The only easy day was yesterday"
Quote Reply
Re: Former Navy Seal in the middle of a Split Double-Deca [wmblore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done, Mark! A very impressive accomplishment.
Quote Reply
Re: Former Navy Seal in the middle of a Split Double-Deca [wmblore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 "I spent most of 2018 focusing on changing my run to a 4 min. jog, 1 min. walk. and moving my diet to all real foods while training (no gels, no powdered mixes, no salt, etc.)."

Mark - That is a pretty incredible accomplishment, huge congrats!!! One question: did you really do away with all extra salt??? You never felt the need to salt your food??? I'm just very curious about that. I guess I've never thought of salt as "food" per se since it has no calories. I've always just thought of salt as a necessary electrolyte.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing stuff. I can’t ebem fathom the focus and effort this takes
Quote Reply
Re: Former Navy Seal in the middle of a Split Double-Deca [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What must be said is that Mark is a very nice, humble person.
All along the Decaman, his father( his crew !) and Mark kept a smile on their face despite the general fatigue.
It was great to meet them.

4 x Deca-ironman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark, this is a pretty incredible accomplishment.. all I can say is wow and way to keep after it. Honestly, I never even heard of this type of racing until I came across a small summary of your story. Congratulations - I'm definitely in awe and I really enjoy hearing about incredible feats that humans accomplish that no one would ever think is possible. I equally enjoy hearing about the struggles and setbacks before one finally gets to their destination. I am also fascinated by the nutrition changes. So interesting that the normal multi-Ironman triathlete usually progresses from solids to liquids for the hopes of avoid stomach issues... yet the ultra athletes usually fall back to solids. Perplexing. Thank you for sharing your story and feel free to share more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very impressive indeed.

Congratulations for the accomplishment.

The "real food" approach is really very interesting, as well as the run/walk approach. Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wmblore wrote:
Thanks for all the well wishes. For what it is worth, I was able to complete the goal. Boring details below.

Not boring at all. WOW. Thank you for giving us a peek into your effort. Amazing job.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Former Navy Seal in the middle of a Split Double-Deca [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love how this is the sentiment when a man undertakes something an event pushing the limits. When a woman does it...well we know how that goes.

squid- Not a slight against you at all. Just getting a chuckle about the overall response to this versus Horner’s attempt.
Quote Reply

Prev Next