Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Forerunner 50 as tri watch?
Quote | Reply
OK, got my Garmin Forerunner 50 from the woot.com sale last week. I basically just bought it for the foot pod, as the Forerunner 50 with foot pod was significantly cheaper than buying just the foot pod. I have a Forerunner 305 and love it, but if only it were waterproof for the swim......

So my question is, what if I wear the Forerunner 50 for the swim, hop on the bike with the speed/cadence sensor on, the go to the run with the foot pod on the shoe. Would the Forerunner 50 detect the speed/cadence sensor, and then later the foot pod, 'on the fly' during a race as you switched to the bike and the run? And, if that works, would the Forerunner 50 display run pace in minutes per mile - it seems from the manual that you have to choose the option of showing speed as mph or min per mile.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 50 as tri watch? [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate to reply to my own thread, but I have done some testing and indeed, I believe the Forerunner 50 will work as a tri watch. When the forerunner detects the speed/cadence sensor it automatically switches to MPH, and the foot pod puts it back to minutes per mile. The only trick is, if you are not near the speed/cadence sensor or foot pod when you start your workout (as you would not be in a race - you'd be at the swim start) you have to switch back to the time display, then back to "train" again, which triggers the watch to re-detect the foot pod or speed/cadence sensor. So it looks like if I can just press a couple of buttons at each transition I'll be all set.
Quote Reply